Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

C9 Guides: MOBAFire Sponsors Cloud9

Creator: Mowen September 9, 2014 7:26pm
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 5:43am | Report
@OTGBionicArm, well, there are always growing pains! Work with us to make things better :) We never make changes without a reason, but nothing is set in stone and we highly value feedback from you guys. What specifically is less user friendly, and why do you think so?
TROLLing1999
<Member>
TROLLing1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 7:01am | Report
Here are my objections!

C9 Guides

I really like the idea but once I saw the C9 guides I got very disappointed. The guides are mostly very short and lack a lot of information in several cases. The point of having pro players make guides is that they can give more and better tips than other guidemakers.

Right now, each C9 member has made quite a lot of guides, none of which is really in depth. Additionally, it's highly probable that they will not update their guides in the future and they will practically become useless.

I'd say that each C9 member should start making 1-2 detailed guides, where they will show all their knowledge and keep these guides updated over time. What's happening right now is not really helping anyone; the fact that they're from C9 does not mean that their guides are neccessarily good( mainly because of lack of quantity and not quality) or that the community will insta-upvote them.

Frontpage

Other people are more suitable to judh=ge the layout but I still a couple of points.

I am really bothered with the absence of "New Guides" on the frontpage. Having new guides showing up on the frontpage makes it much easier for a potentially good guide to be recognised, credited and upvoted.

Also, some time ago I just saw a question Satella made in 2013 in the frontpage, which makes absolutely no sense. Even if that question was popular back then it probably has nothing to do with today's state.

Oh...and blogs pls.
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 7:18am | Report
Besides the things that already have been said, why aren't all the sites in the banner at the very top instead of that dropdown-menu? it is not like there isn't enough space (If you want to revert the banner to its old centered stage and lack space for the sites, then you could just use the logos and remove the names or something like that.).

You guys also forgot to add like 2 or 3 sites into the menu.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 7:19am | Report
Matt wrote:
@OTGBionicArm, well, there are always growing pains! Work with us to make things better :) We never make changes without a reason, but nothing is set in stone and we highly value feedback from you guys. What specifically is less user friendly, and why do you think so?

I liked the old question thing and the old featured guides box.
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 7:45am | Report
Q & A should be placed where it used to be placed (has been said before but I think this is the most important thing to me) and there shouldn't be shown old questions (just because of their "rating") because they are generally outdated.
Below the last posted comment thingy there still could be the blog section because there is enough space and searching for blogs is annoying. There could be a differentiation between featured and normal blog posts then, maybe.
I'd like to see the number of comments regarding news posts as it was before but ignoring the fact that the news post itself counts as a comment post.
Regarding the Guest Guides: It's actually a good thing to gain more reputation from the viewers having some special guest authors but the quality is kinda bad. I don't know how the system is working exactly but I don't think that this one will wor in the future because these guides a okay for a few days or weeks and then become uninteresting. It's worth a short look but the guides don't exactly differ from other guides what you would kinda expect. Because of these things I'd rather support guides written by random authors (newest guides should be at least shown in one of the folders under "Builds & Guides").
Thanks to Aquilegia for this sig!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 8:34am | Report

I really like the idea but once I saw the C9 guides I got very disappointed. The guides are mostly very short and lack a lot of information in several cases. The point of having pro players make guides is that they can give more and better tips than other guidemakers.

Right now, each C9 member has made quite a lot of guides, none of which is really in depth. Additionally, it's highly probable that they will not update their guides in the future and they will practically become useless.

I'd say that each C9 member should start making 1-2 detailed guides, where they will show all their knowledge and keep these guides updated over time. What's happening right now is not really helping anyone; the fact that they're from C9 does not mean that their guides are neccessarily good( mainly because of lack of quantity and not quality) or that the community will insta-upvote them.

This is unfortunately what happened last time we had guest guides. They came in, talked some **** and didn't answer questions on their under-detailed and hardly specific guides. They're not really doing guides because they want to, they're doing it probably because they got paid to.

EDIT: It wasn't C9 last time. I think it was CLG since I seem to remember a HotshotGG guide. But again, they don't answer any questions about the guide or anything. Guest guides have never been semi-decent.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

TROLLing1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 8:49am | Report
Lugignaf wrote:
This is unfortunately what happened last time we had guest guides. They came in, talked some **** and didn't answer questions on their under-detailed and hardly specific guides. They're not really doing guides because they want to, they're doing it probably because they got paid to.

EDIT: It wasn't C9 last time. I think it was CLG since I seem to remember a HotshotGG guide. But again, they don't answer any questions about the guide or anything. Guest guides have never been semi-decent.

That should definately be before I joined. However, I think there are more recent examples. Guys such as Voosha, Hoodstomp, Gleebargu and Ecco were/are making guides every other week or so and in the end none was/is updated.

I think MOBAfire needs to negotiate with C9 players and establish a policy. We don't need 1000 million half-done guides, 5 complete ones are much more useful.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 9:01am | Report
Quoted:

I think MOBAfire needs to negotiate with C9 players and establish a policy. We don't need 1000 million half-done guides, 5 complete ones are much more useful.

This is very naive because you cannot expect pro players to do this. Let me break it to you: they won't.

However, this means mobafire should simply say "well then we don't want your guides on our site" but instead we get flooded by trash guides that get a ****ton of exposure for no reason.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 9:07am | Report
Let's be fair here. I know I've *****ed about pro guides in the past for being shallow, but the thing is, they really don't have time to be that in-depth. Even watch them in interviews; their answers are typically very short and vague, likely because they're mentally preparing for the next match and the current interview is a massive waste of time for them.

They at least give you their build, their setup and WHY they use it. They may not explain everything thoroughly, but they give you some insight at least. Plus, these are still professional players, so you can always trust that they aren't feeding you any bad information.
TROLLing1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2014 9:10am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

This is very naive because you cannot expect pro players to do this. Let me break it to you: they won't.

However, this means mobafire should simply say "well then we don't want your guides on our site" but instead we get flooded by trash guides that get a ****ton of exposure for no reason.

We get flooded by ****ty guides anyways, now they just do not get so much attention. But again, why would I use a pro's guide, that has very little explanations instead of an indeed good guide that includes tips and in-depth analysis.

To say it in other words, whose Elise guide do you think is best? Meteos' or yours(speaking just about the guide, not the skill of the player)?

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide