Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

Creator: Mowen December 20, 2012 5:37pm
1 2
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2012 5:37pm | Report

Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

Posted by Hippalus on Thu, 2012-12-20 08:04

Hey guys,

We’ve been talking to players about how they feel about pricing for a while now – we’ve talked with you on the forums, ran surveys, met with some of you in person, and listened to your feedback.

As a result of those conversations, we’re making some changes to champion pricing aimed at generally lowering champion prices and making it easier for you to add to your champion collection. This plan will involve immediate and ongoing reductions of IP and RP prices of older champions, as well as increasing the time you have to earn IP between champion releases.

We will also be slightly increasing the first-week IP price of new champions to partially offset lower overall prices.

Here’s the plan, which is being implemented immediately:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

New Champion Release Schedule:

You may have already noticed the rate at which we’ve been releasing champions has slowed. Moving forward, we’re targeting 14-17 new champions in 2013 -- around one every 3-4 weeks. This gives you more time to accumulate IP between champion releases, and it enables our design team to spend more time developing and polishing each new champion.

RP and IP Price Tiers:

We’ve also updated the RP cost of champions so that that they’re more strongly correlated with the IP price. RP costs now match IP cost accordingly:

450 IP
1350 IP
3150 IP
4800 IP
6300 IP
7800 IP

260 RP
585 RP
790 RP
880 RP
975 RP
975 RP

Immediate Price Reductions:

The seven oldest 6300 IP champions ( Ezreal, Vladimir, Renekton, Nocturne, Lee Sin, Brand and Vayne) have all been reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP. As with all permanent price reductions, we’ll automatically refund the difference for anyone who’s purchased one of these champions up to two weeks prior to today. These refunds will likely take at least a few days to fully process.

Price Reduction Schedule:

Every time a new champion is released, the oldest 6300 IP/975 RP champion will be reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP.

Also, with every third champion release, an additional champion currently priced at 4800 IP or lower will be reduced to the next lowest tier, based on age and ease of play.

New Champion First-Week IP Price:

All brand-new champions will cost 7800 IP/975 RP for the first week only, and will be reduced to 6300 IP thereafter.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tl;dr:

New champion launch price is...

After one week, the price is reduced to...

Each release, the oldest 6300 is reduced to...

Each third release, an additional 4800 IP or lower
champion is reduced to one of the remaining tiers...
7800 IP / 975 RP

6300 IP / 975 RP

4800 IP / 880 RP

3150 IP / 790 RP
1350 IP / 585 RP
450 IP / 260 RP

Good changes IMO. I especially like that they'll be lowering the oldest 6300 champ's price every time a new one comes out. Good work Riot! :)
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2012 6:59pm | Report
Dislike the fact that in the first week the price goes up. Just make the champ unavailable in ranked for a week or so instead of this stuff. Other than that, it seems nice. Too bad it isn't really helping me at all xD
devdevil
<Member>
devdevil's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2012 7:02pm | Report

It seems nice. Too bad it isn't really helping me at all xD

+rep me if you think I did something cool enough to deserve it!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2012 7:06pm | Report
I thought it was a reasonable compromise since it'll incentivize people buying first week champs with RP, but it's still not a big deal to just wait a week to play if you can't. :P Overall I like it because there's going to be less champs at 6300 IP and there's a definite limit to how long a champ will stay at 6300.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2012 7:07pm | Report
Mowen wrote:

I thought it was a reasonable compromise since it'll incentivize people buying first week champs with RP, but it's still not a big deal to just wait a week to play if you can't. :P Overall I like it because there's going to be less champs at 6300 IP and there's a definite limit to how long a champ will stay at 6300.

I like that part but the 7800 tier is just invented so people will buy the champ with RP instead of IP which is something I don't really like. Even though I will have the IP for every champ that's going to be released, I'm still gonna wait a week as I'm not gonna waste 1200 IP for no reason.
A Chubby Baby
<Veteran>
A Chubby Baby's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2012 10:00pm | Report
i love this new feature. never got champs the second they came out anyways.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2012 5:33am | Report
Does this mean that I get IP & RP refunds ?
I have Vayne, Brand, Renekton, Lee Sin, Ezreal.

So I get 1500 x 5 ?

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2012 9:26am | Report
i think far as I know you'll only get rp refunded if you bought them 2 weeks or less ago, not sure about that though.

overall good change for league though, I like it.

JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2012 10:02am | Report
Meh, never had an issue purchasing champs. Funny that the imaginary "money" IP needs to off set anything. Meh, now I get to waste more time waiting for a champion to arrive, extremely annoying to say the least. These newer champs had better continue being BAMFs for the amount of time I have to wait for them.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2012 6:17pm | Report
Thank god they will be releasing champions slower. Now I can actually play the game and get to know the new champions and who they synergies/counter before being assaulted with a brand new champion I know nothing about.

Love the idea of champion prices going down too! Fantastic update all around :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide