Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Champion Update: Gangplank sails to PBE

Creator: Wayne3100 July 7, 2015 4:11pm
1 2 3
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2015 4:11pm | Report

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 8:10am | Report
That splash art looks absolutely badass, I've got to say! Gangplank peeling an orange was a genious idea. On a side note, I think I'll be playing GP more often after his update :P
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 8:46am | Report
I don't like the splash at all, what's he even doing... the old splash made him look like a kid though so I guess it's an improvement.
TheRedPenguin
<Inhouse Regular>
TheRedPenguin's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 9:06am | Report
He is peeling "jeremiah gottwald".
LevasK
<Member>
LevasK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 9:15am | Report
Quoted:
I don't like the splash at all, what's he even doing... the old splash made him look like a kid though so I guess it's an improvement.
If I had to guess, I'd say that he's torturing someone with his burning sword and possibly going to pour some citrus juice into that person's wounds. And the splash art itself is taken from the POV of the person being tortured.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 9:20am | Report
I don't think that his new look suits his character. He looks more like a heavy oldtimer scheming from afar than a playful pirate king who happily fights at the front himself. I thought he was more of the latter. Also why are his hands as big as his head?

"The quality of a character is decided solely by how dark his story is" - Rito Gaemz

I think his kit got better though, game-wise. Nice rework in that regard.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 9:39am | Report
I'm torn on his new asthetics and theme.

Old GP: Rather generic but over all fun, over the top perhaps, badass pirate.

New GP: Heavy Pirates of the Carribean influence. Less fun, more serious.

Kit wise though, It's an improvement, but I feel like they should have put him on "Sion level" rework, tbh.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 10:00am | Report
Am I the only one who likes the new GP? D:
I have to agree that he has a severe case of "huge hands", but I really like his new look, he really looks more of a King now (older and wiser, in the current splash art he looks like a YOLO 20 y.o.). The only thing I'd like to see would be his chest hair back, it looked really good :/

BTW, why do you think he deserved a "Sion-level" rework? I don't think he's such a bad and unbalanced champion that requires scrapping his entire kit for a new one. I think a lot of people would be sad if his kit completely changed (but, let's be honest here, his E was only good to get assists in teamfights, so that was a good change).
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 10:22am | Report
Re4XN wrote:

BTW, why do you think he deserved a "Sion-level" rework? I don't think he's such a bad and unbalanced champion that requires scrapping his entire kit for a new one. I think a lot of people would be sad if his kit completely changed (but, let's be honest here, his E was only good to get assists in teamfights, so that was a good change).

Gangplank has historically been held back by his reliance on crit items to deal damage (which has not changed with this rework, as stated before here, or on another thread, they did nothing to his Q besides adding the coin reward to upgrade his ult.)

Forcing him into this crit synergy is terrible because unlike similar champions ( Tryndamere, Master Yi, Yasuo), he does not have the mobility, burst, or durability to actually abuse it. That leaves him with the option to go bruiser, and again, this is also mediocre, because much of his kit is now devoted solely to damage (And his W is selfish, making his R his only true utility now).

Basically, he's too risky to be a melee carry, and he lacks the utility and raw heft to be a bruiser or tank. He's just... Gangplank. This is why I'd promote them shelving this and giving him a true rework.

Feel free to argue my points here. Im just typing as I think.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 11:15am | Report
I don't have enough knowledge about Gangplank to argue with you (I bought him last week and played 5 games). I have played him "Critplank" which was absolutely ******ed and unviable (but very fun indeed), because you'd get deleted if you got caught. I also played him with a mix of tanky and critical items ( Frozen Heart and Spirit Visage) which worked pretty well, provided I could reach the backline with my crit-loaded Parrrleys (I shaved 60% HP off of their ADCs with one). I don't think he's supposed to be played as a tank, more like a bruiser as you mentioned, but then again, I won't start an argument because I lack the knowledge neended :P
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide