Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Champion Update: Gangplank sails to PBE

Creator: Wayne3100 July 7, 2015 4:11pm
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 11:20am | Report
I personally think Gangplank is fine at the moment and will continue to be after his rework. His strength's are in his decent laning and ranged harass with his dueling and being "average" at everything. Being average at everything makes you an anti-carry in my opinion, he can just walk up to an adc, slow them and zone them from fights whilst his team charges in. His utility is low, but it's decent I guess.

Also, yes he is reliant on critical strike to deal effective damage, and he has a lack of mobility but it doesn't make him bad. He has a very different playstyle compared to a normal bruiser. A build that gives resistances, health, AD and 40/50% critical strike is more than enough to fulfill the role of being a successful 'anti carry' or at least a real nuisance for an ADC to handle.
I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 12:33pm | Report
MrMad2000 wrote:

Also, yes he is reliant on critical strike to deal effective damage, and he has a lack of mobility but it doesn't make him bad. He has a very different playstyle compared to a normal bruiser. A build that gives resistances, health, AD and 40/50% critical strike is more than enough to fulfill the role of being a successful 'anti carry' or at least a real nuisance for an ADC to handle.

Yeah but someone like Gnar for instance can build full tank, kill an ADC (and CC or disrupt multiple other units) and live to tell the tale.
Riot has kind of made actual bruiser-tanks broken, meaning the half *** ones, like Gangplank, who have little special niches like his crit thing, kinda ****ty. Even Garen is more useful than Gangplank in the long run because he's just a massive beefcake with 20x more durability, and still does enough damage to be considered a threat.

That's a massive exaggeration of course. I'm ignoring GP's ult in that scenario. He does have a bit of a special thing going with that. Cross map assistance. But then it's like, why not play Shen? Shen can also anti-carry pretty decently without building offense (because he often ends up building things like thornmail, and has decent enough DPS on squishies on his own). And nearly every top laner takes TP, making this advantage slightly less relevant.
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 1:01pm | Report
You have a really fair point and I agree with you to a certain degree, but all these champions have completely different kits and also have slightly different playstyles. They play similar roles but the champion feel is different overall which might attract a player. Someone might pick Gangplank because they're more comfortable with him. If we compare Shen and Gangplank as you said before, and their kits they are both kind of similar.

Gangplank Q: Ranged, applies a slow.
Shen Q: Ranged, applies lifesteal buff.

Gangplank R: Global, damage and slow.
Shen R: Global, shield and teleport.

Two out of five abilities are similar, so you might get a similar feel, but they both serve a completely different purpose. Gangplank's Q can be used to catch an enemy due to it applying a slow from his passive, and it is a great harass tool. Shen's Q is a great harass tool aswell, but it has more utility since it lets allies heal from the target that has been marked by Shen's Q. They are similar abilities since they both are ranged and have similar properties, but their uses are completely different.

Gangplank is a very different and unique champion because he's got a little bit of everything, and has nothing special about him. Garen might be 20x more durable and have a single target silence but Gangplank is better at roaming and kiting than a Garen is and he does better against lane bullies who rely on their CC to do anything like Ahri or Riven even for example... He can just eat an orange and remove the charm or stun and walk away.

Also, I'm like you, speak my mind and don't read what I've typed previously and a lot of the time I don't make sense, so please excuse me if I sound like English is my second language even though it's not.

I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2015 3:30pm | Report
just wanna let you know that new gangplanks Q doesnt slow, nor does it apply his new passive so he wont get an MS boost from it
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2015 2:23am | Report
His Parrrley never applied a slow, it was his old passive Grog Soaked Blade. Since it has changed, you will only gain a movespeed burst from burning your passive (get it? GET IT???!111).
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2015 3:50am | Report
LevasK wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say that he's torturing someone with his burning sword and possibly going to pour some citrus juice into that person's wounds. And the splash art itself is taken from the POV of the person being tortured.
That's not nice at all! D:

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
LevasK
<Member>
LevasK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2015 4:15am | Report
Quoted:
That's not nice at all! D:
Yearrrr, but it's "hardcore pirate stuff", which is what I guess Riot is going for with this rework.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2015 5:29pm | Report
his old Q applied his passive which slowed so technically yes his Q did slow (^:
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2015 7:17am | Report
Article has been updated to show the new new Gangplank!

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Nex The Slayer
<Member>
Nex The Slayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2015 1:45pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
Article has been updated to show the new new Gangplank!

That makes a lot of the previous comments very, confusing...

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide