Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

THEORYCRAFTING: SYNDRA SUPPORT

Creator: lordzios August 9, 2014 5:39pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
lordzios
<Esports Writer>
lordzios's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2014 5:39pm | Report

Since Syndra's release, I have always thought that she would make for a good support. While her mid lane playstyle doesn't transfer directly to bot lane, a few modifications to her skill order can turn this mage into an incredibly strong “carry support,” requiring few items to be effective. Her strengths in the support role include strong poke at level 1, good crowd control, high base damages, and strong pushing power, allowing her to pressure and push her opponents out of lane while her marksman can farm safely.

The first major point with Syndra as a support is her high damage output in the early game and consistent crowd control past level 2. Let's look at her basic spells in depth. First off, her Dark Sphere deals 70 damage in an AoE for the low cost of 40 mana. Next is Force of Will, which costs 60 mana at rank 1 and deals 80 damage as well as slowing in an AoE. Finally, we have Scatter the Weak which is the primary spell for support Syndra. This spell provides hard crowd control for only 50 mana at all ranks and deals 70 damage at rank 1. Syndra's full combo can deal 220 base damage at only level 3.

As I said before, support Syndra's skill order is different from the standard build because instead of maxing Dark Sphere first, it's actually maxed last. The most important spell for support Syndra is Scatter the Weak which is why it is maxed first, followed by Force of Will. This is to maximize her crowd control by lowering the spell's cooldown, since crowd control is the primary function for her as a support. The most important spells for a support Syndra are her Force of Will and Scatter the Weak as they provide all of her harass and crowd control. If you are doing really well in lane you can max Force of Will first do get more poke damage on a shorter cooldown at the price of an increasing mana cost, but usually it's safer to just max Scatter the Weak to lower the cooldown on your crowd control spell.

The next major point that needs to be discussed is the fundamental difference in the general playstyle of a support Syndra compared to that of a solo lane Syndra, and one of these is the function of her ultimate. As a mid laner, Syndra's Unleashed Power ultimate is used to pick off targets and end fights. However, support Syndra will often use her ultimate to engage a fight as it gives her 3 more spheres on the field which can be launched forward in a shotgun effect to stun multiple opponents. This gives her far more teamfight presence in addition to her incredibly high base single target damage.

Syndra's high base damages constitute another major factor in how strong she is as a support because this means she doesn't need items to deal a lot of damage. As I previously stated, a standard Q-W-E combo deals 220 damage at level 3. With her ultimate at level 6 and ranking up either her Force of Will or Scatter the Weak, this increases the damage to 670 with the extra Dark Sphere and only costing about 250 mana. Looking at her cooldowns, Syndra can theoretically force out any bot lane combination other than Braum (due to his Unbreakable ability) within 3 minutes in lane if she is landing a lot of Dark Spheres.

In closing Syndra's kit has more than enough to make her a viable support at almost every level of play by providing everything an offensive support needs to with her consistent damage throughout the entire game, consistent AoE crowd control, and tremendous lane control.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2014 6:22pm | Report
Her flaws remain squishyness and tight-tempo CC skillshots, high level players can screw you over with well-timed flashes and all in botlane comps. She isn't bad per se, but I think for this kind of stuff you have Velkoz
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2014 7:26pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
Her flaws remain squishyness and tight-tempo CC skillshots, high level players can screw you over with well-timed flashes and all in botlane comps. She isn't bad per se, but I think for this kind of stuff you have Velkoz

Essentially this. Vel'Koz does what Syndra support does, but better.

Either or, Vel'koz and syndra are pretty easy to predict in lane the higher in skill you get (solo queue being the only exception for this). But what vel has that Syndra doesn't is tentacles (and a better team fight ult)
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2014 8:56pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

Essentially this. Vel'Koz does what Syndra support does, but better.

Either or, Vel'koz and syndra are pretty easy to predict in lane the higher in skill you get (solo queue being the only exception for this). But what vel has that Syndra doesn't is tentacles (and a better team fight ult)

Finally, Vel'koz ult usually allows him a safer position (even though he immobilizes himsef), syndra needs to get fairly close
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 9, 2014 9:14pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

Finally, Vel'koz ult usually allows him a safer position (even though he immobilizes himsef), syndra needs to get fairly close

The job of the support is to die first, so Syndra gets points there.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2014 2:16am | Report
WHy is this news and not in the theorycrafting section, wtf
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2014 3:11am | Report
Wow. And he made the OP all fancy and what not. Couldn't this just have been a blog? I want my purple name cause I can make something about support twitch .
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2014 5:06am | Report
Toshabi wrote:
Wow. And he made the OP all fancy and what not. Couldn't this just have been a blog? I want my purple name cause I can make something about support twitch .

For once I actually agree with you.

Thing is, not only isn't this any form of news, most of the information in it is incorrect as well. She's not a viable support "at almost every level of play" because she has no strong supportive tools and needs AP to be effective all game long which doesn't mesh with the low support income. Also, as syndra support you still want to max Q for lane presence, lol.

I really don't like how the news page is being flooded with absolutely worthless posts, admins pls.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2014 6:57am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

For once I actually agree with you.

Thing is, not only isn't this any form of news, most of the information in it is incorrect as well. She's not a viable support "at almost every level of play" because she has no strong supportive tools and needs AP to be effective all game long which doesn't mesh with the low support income. Also, as syndra support you still want to max Q for lane presence, lol.

I really don't like how the news page is being flooded with absolutely worthless posts, admins pls.

Yeah I agree. There's a ton of other unconventional supports who do a lot better than Syndra such as Vel'Koz, Cassiopeia, and Yorick.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 10, 2014 8:24am | Report
I'll stick to support Lissandra if I wanna play something off the wall.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide