Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

's Forum Avatar

Dear young earth creationists:

Creator: throatslasher October 8, 2012 8:59am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

103 posts - page 10 of 11
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
13418
Joined:
Jun 6th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 9:07am | Report
ShiftyCake wrote:

[Religion] gives people a chance to live.

Quote of the week.

Honestly, you're just spouting a LOAD of ****. Please stop writing about things you don't understand..
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Posts:
3064
Joined:
Nov 9th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 10:12am | Report
How religions begin:
Mowen
<Production Coordinator>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
6445
Joined:
Nov 7th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 10:35am | Report
Seems like people in this thread have resorted to name-calling and insulting, so I am locking this and will go through and reprimand the offenders later.

EDIT: Unlocking and giving you guys a chance to continue discussion CIVILLY, since I hadn't warned you previously. Here are just a couple of examples of comments I saw that were way out of line.

Canoas wrote:
And this proves you're an idiot.


Religious people are intellectually stunted.


Please watch your posts and even if you believe strongly about something don't insult other users and respect their beliefs. You can disagree with someone but still treat them with respect instead of just calling them stupid. It's common courtesy.
ShiftyCake
<Member>
ShiftyCake's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
508
Joined:
Mar 27th, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 5:25pm | Report
Mowen wrote:

Seems like people in this thread have resorted to name-calling and insulting, so I am locking this and will go through and reprimand the offenders later.

EDIT: Unlocking and giving you guys a chance to continue discussion CIVILLY, since I hadn't warned you previously. Here are just a couple of examples of comments I saw that were way out of line.




Please watch your posts and even if you believe strongly about something don't insult other users and respect their beliefs. You can disagree with someone but still treat them with respect instead of just calling them stupid. It's common courtesy.


taking this into account, I'll try and tone myself down as well.

Canoas wrote:

@****tycake
Are you serious? Again? Where the hell are you getting all that ******** from?

Science didn't have a begin. Science simply exists. If a caveman notices that hitting someone with a club causes pain then that's science. If he notices that fire is hot and will burn you then that's science as well. Science began even before we existed, religion came after. My cat knows that sunlight warms him, yet he has no fcking clue what a god is.

Religion does not give anyone a reason or a chance to live. All it does is allow people to delude themselves and not be treated as delusional.
And how can you say that acts of terrorism and war isn't religion itself? God himself would commit genocide without a second thought. He flooded the whole earth killing every living creature that was not on that boat. He killed every first born son of Egypt when he could have just opened the way for Moses. War and terrorism pale in comparison to what their imaginary God has done.

Religion people ARE ungrateful. How many times do they claim that god saved their lives when it was science all along? How many times do they claim science is evil while using technology to spread that claim? Yes, they believe in something else, which is what makes them ungrateful. If I help a friend with something and he doesn't thank me because he believes it was god then I won't help him any more. Too bad science can't do the same. "Oh, you're a creationist? I'm sorry, but we can't give you medicine that was created thanks to the understanding of evolution."


Once again, I'll politely ask you not to call me ****tycake. It's rude, disrespectful and uncalled for.
Now,
Again with the cat. religions is the belief in something greater, it does not require knowledge of something greater such as a Bible. Besides that, a cat notices sunlight warms him, but he doesn't care. Human Nature seeks something greater, other beings are not as needy as us.

No, if a caveman hit someone and it caused pain you could not call it science. If he wondered why it caused pain, then it would start to be similar to science. If he explored the reason, and attained a solution then it would be called science.
Science isn't simply seeing something happen, it is noticing something you don't understand and then working to attain this understanding. Yes, it had a beginning, and that beginning was when the first person questioned something in this world and then went out to prove it. Cause religion is really science at its most basic form, when all they did was wonder why and never bothered to figure it out. That is how religion formed, it was only later that science became known when people started seeking out those answers.

now, this involves both you and someone else:

Searz wrote:


Quote of the week.

Honestly, you're just spouting a LOAD of ****. Please stop writing about things you don't understand..


Wrong words, sorry about that. It was my mistake, I was typing fast and wrote it wrong. What I was saying is that religion gave people a reason to live. Yes, quite a lot of people rely on religion and would have fallen into depression/suicidal thoughts along time a go. Ire ally don't need to explain why.

Back to you canoas. You disgust me, having such a one-sided view. I can't even counter that, simply because its all the same to you. Science is everything, and all who don't believe in it are wrong. That's how your going about it.

Canoas wrote:

And this proves you're an idiot. Science doesn't have an answer to everything.. YET. There was a time we didn't know how the earth and sun came to exist, so people claimed it was god. Then we understood that but still didn't know how we came to exist, so people claimed it was god. Now we know plenty of things, but we still don't know how the singularity that caused the big bang came to existence. Are you really going to keep claiming it was god? So to you god is what we don't know yet? Sorry, but the god of the gaps arguments doesn't stick. "If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for god, then god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance."


You are pretty much everything that's wrong with the world. You just proved that your nature is inherently evil. I don't need an incentive to do good. When I give money to charity I know I'll never get anything in return, for example.
If you need an incentive to do good then it also means with the same incentive you would do evil. If God said we need to kill 30 babies to go to heaven then freaks like you would be the first to get a hammer and start a killing spree.

Religion is amoral. Our world's greatest philanthropists are not even christian. Why? Because christians don't care. They don't need to donate 90% of their wealth to go to heaven, so they don't. If a mass de-conversion was possible then the world would be a better place. It has been proven that empathy and respect and inherent to mammals. Even monkeys feel empathy for one another, the fact that you don't makes you a psychopath.


oh my GOD do you not listen. I am an atheist, I do not believe that God created the universe. If you would've just comprehended what I was saying instead of jumping to your half-***ed conclusions, you wouldn't be saying that. Or I guess you would. SOME THINGS ARE NOT MEAN TO BE SOUGHT AFTER. THe Big Bang Theory:
"A cosmological theory holding that the universe originated approximately 20 billion years ago from the violent explosion of a very small agglomeration of matter of extremely high density and temperature"

ohk, you get the picture. It was created by matter explosion.
Do people not see the idiocy of this? Science states that something cannot come out of nothing, yet they do not deem to try and answer where the matter came from.
This is because it cannot, and will not, be explained. Human Comprehension can only reach so far, and to attain understanding of how nothingness turned into something is beyond us.

What I said is that many people in this world will not be morally good without an incentive. When, did I ever say that I wouldn't. Do you even read what I write?

yeah, mammals have empathy and respect. We are not mammals anymore, whether or not the term still defines us. Compassion, empathy, respect, all that still exists. People just don't care about it. Do you not understand, this world has become so self-centered that even when we realize we're literally destroying earth we don't change. We don't care enough to change. Humans, as a mass, have long since transcended such emotions. We are disgusting, greedy, violent beasts who live based on ourselves.


ROFL I was just about to link that paragraph

"Science says the universe was created by the Big Bang Theory, Religion says it was created by God.
One believes in The world being created out of something, the other believes in the world being crated out of nothing.
Yet if you actually stopped to think about it, how the **** did the matter that crated the universe get their to being with? Think about it as long as you can, but you'll never be able to explain it with science or religion. For religion is the same, where did God come from?
Some things are beyond human comprehension, and should not be sought after."

This paragraph proves you're scientifically illiterate. Go read something, no offense.

You're an atheist but you throw first cause in our face, and then immediately refute it? Your thought process is 100% disjointed, but I appreciate the discussion.


So I wrote my words wrong? Don't assume I'm illiterate because you want me to be.

Also, I cannot watch what you put up canoas, so I cannot comment on it.
thanks Hogopogo for the banner :D
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
6243
Joined:
Mar 21st, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 5:28pm | Report
"Laying an egg isn't as easy as it looks" Anivia

Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1287
Joined:
Mar 4th, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 5:52pm | Report
These sorts of arguments don't belong here..
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
10094
Joined:
Dec 7th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 5:53pm | Report
so how's the weather for you guys


Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1287
Joined:
Mar 4th, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 5:58pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

so how's the weather for you guys


Mild sun o; nothing amazing.
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!
ShiftyCake
<Member>
ShiftyCake's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
508
Joined:
Mar 27th, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2012 7:53pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

"Laying an egg isn't as easy as it looks" Anivia


the total randomness of this :D

Xeronn wrote:

These sorts of arguments don't belong here..


yeah, I guess, I'll try and stop here :/
thanks Hogopogo for the banner :D
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
4244
Joined:
Aug 3rd, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 2, 2012 12:21am | Report
ShiftyCake wrote:

There is a difference, morals are something your not willing to do because you believe its wrong; not because your shunned by it or other various reasons.



so yer saying going to hell isnt something you get shunned for in Christianity? and the YOU believing its wrong doesnt just -poof- away because no one believes in hell anymore
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide