Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Dota 2 free for best joke

Creator: Ninja Trigger January 5, 2013 4:38pm
83 posts - page 3 of 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 3:05pm | Report
I don't know why this is so funny right now but Meiyjhe is the winner for well telling the only joke, although I did laugh at the rest of the posts any way contest is done. I know a lot of people got the dota2 keys for free but i didn't know what to do with em so I thought i would have a little bit of fun with it.
Sig by Emikadon
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 3:11pm | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:
Gosh what a philosophy here :P

I love philosophy so I break in:
FireLord is right, when something is offensive towards someone, it is offensive.
However, that doesn't mean it is meant to be as an offense.

Good example is the religious jokes in newspapers.
They are meant as a joke, but they are taken as an offense by the religion it self.

So it is offensive, but not meant to be offensive.
In these cases, a reasonable guy will forgive him and maybe even laugh about the joke.
That is why this isn't so bad.

But this is my view on this subject ;D

I am a philosophy student.

Just to say, without knowing it, you agreed with me. And by Firelord agreeing with you, he agreed with me also.

My premises are - if you take offense, then it is offensive. If you do not take offense, then it is not offensive. And you agreed. So actually, you do not agree with FireLord.

You may love philosophy, but you don't appear to be any good at it.

Meiyjhe wrote:
If something is offensive to aaaanyone, it is considered offensive towards me.

But this is just my view :P

This means everything offends you, since anything can offend anyone. Since that doesn't appear to be the case, you are either a liar or mistaken. For one who loves philosophy, you surely do say some incoherent things.

FireLord wrote:
no. being offended and being offensive are not dependent. you can be offended by a non-offensive comment and you may not be offended by an offensive comment. however, just because you are offended by bananas it does not make bananas offensive.

But it does! The bananas offend me, therefore they are offensive! If they do not offend me, then they are not offensive!

Being offended is purely a subjective matter, making it about you and not about other parties. Someone may attempt to be offensive, but whether they actually are or not is dependent on whether you perceive them to be.

Since you perceive it to be offensive, then I can only conclude you're sensitive.
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 3:23pm | Report
sirell wrote:
I am a philosophy student.

Just to say, without knowing it, you agreed with me. And by Firelord agreeing with you, he agreed with me also.

so because he agreed with me I have to agree with him? are you sure your studying philosophy?
I disagree with both of you, i never said i agreed with anyone.

sirell wrote:
But it does! The bananas offend me, therefore they are offensive! If they do not offend me, then they are not offensive!

Being offended is purely a subjective matter, making it about you and not about other parties. Someone may attempt to be offensive, but whether they actually are or not is dependent on whether you perceive them to be.

ok, here's how we'll settle this.
"a black man as the president is not smart"
I am not offended by such comment. I think such comment is offensive.
Now, are you claiming the comment is not offensive or are you claiming that I'm offended by the comment? because according to you those two statements cannot coexist, they cannot both be true, one of them has to be false. which is it?
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ rєmєmвєr tσ +rєp mє íf í dєsєrvє ít! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★ тнαикѕ тσ тнє_иαмєℓєѕѕ_вαя∂ fσя тнιѕ αмαzιиg ѕιgиαтυяє! ★ ★ ★
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 3:57pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
so because he agreed with me I have to agree with him? are you sure your studying philosophy?
I disagree with both of you, i never said i agreed with anyone.

Ah, I misread one of your posts. Apologies.

FireLord wrote:

ok, here's how we'll settle this.
"a black man as the president is not smart"
I am not offended by such comment. I think such comment is offensive.
Now, are you claiming the comment is not offensive or are you claiming that I'm offended by the comment? because according to you those two statements cannot coexist, they cannot both be true, one of them has to be false. which is it?

It is still you offended by it, since you find the thought offensive that someone would think that. So even though you say you aren't offended by it, you are actually offended by it. Otherwise, you wouldn't find the statement offensive. After all, I am not offended by it at all, nor do I think such a comment is offensive, since there are no evident grounds for it. Hence, my original statement still stands.

Examine your own words:

'I am not offended by it, but I find it offensive.' Aren't you just saying that you are actually offended by it? The formulation of your words logically entail so.

Does this 'settle it'?
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 4:16pm | Report
no. just like i think that the comment "your mom is a fat *****" is offensive but i'm not offended by it since it's not directed at me. i can actually be the one saying if i want to offend someone else because i find it offensive. if i were offended by the comments i find offensive then any insult i make would be insulting me as well.

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 4:34pm | Report
FireLord wrote:

it does prove your incompetence, but does not settle it.
you claim it is not offensive to you because there are no evident grounds for it. so, if someone says "your mom is a fat *****" then that person cannot be offended because there are no evident grounds for it? that is not true. insults are not dependent on truthfulness.
and you claim i'm offended? well then, what if i told you i'm racist and i agree with the comment? would you then say i don't think it's offensive instead? so racists cannot offend black people on purpose because they don't know what's offensive and what isn't? that makes no sense.
you can think something as offensive without being offended yourself. that's how insults are formed.

So instead of rational arguments, you settle for name-calling. How quaint. How ironic.

Indeed, if someone called my mother a fat *****, I would not be offended by what they say. Because she is not a fat ***** - there are no evident grounds for it. They can call her all the things that she isn't and there would be no need to be offended, and nor would I be. After all, there's nothing to be ashamed of when it isn't true. I would, however, be offended by other people's vindictiveness and intent to offend - especially if I had not wronged them to begin with. Perhaps I find other things offensive, like betrayal, for instance. Assault as another. Perhaps I may find some insults offensive. But there is nothing inherently offensive about anything.

I wouldn't be offended if you then told me you were racist and agreed with the statement. Good for you, bro - prepare to handle the full prejudice of the fairer society and agree with an incorrect statement. I but only laugh at you. You can call me all the *****y names in the world (I'm Chinese) and I would not be offended. Perhaps your 'insults' are true, in which case, why would I take offense, since they are true? Perhaps your insults are just false name-callings, in which case, why would I take offense, since they are but as air?

Indeed, I can think of things which I consider offensive to you, but as to whether they are or are not offensive depends on YOU.

Again, your statement:

'I am not offended by this comment, but I find this comment offensive.' It's inherently self-contradictory. You have not answered this, yet.

FireLord wrote:

no. just like i think that the comment "your mom is a fat *****" is offensive but i'm not offended by it since it's not directed at me. i can actually be the one saying if i want to offend someone else because i find it offensive. if i were offended by the comments i find offensive then any insult i make would be insulting me as well.

You find the concept offensive, which is not the same as the comment. You find it offensive that other people try to insult other people. That is a separate thing to be offended by. You are getting your subjects confused.

And yes, if you attempt to make an insult, you are trying to use what YOU find offensive. However, since it is directed at someone else, they might not find it offensive, making it totally inert to them. Similarly, if someone redirected your own insults back at you, you are likely to find them offensive.
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 4:52pm | Report
sirell wrote:
So instead of rational arguments, you settle for name-calling. How quaint. How ironic.
do you find it offensive? are you offended by it? if not, why did you make such remark? if yes, then thank you for proving me right.

sirell wrote:
Indeed, if someone called my mother a fat *****, I would not be offended by what they say. Because she is not a fat ***** - there are no evident grounds for it. They can call her all the things that she isn't and there would be no need to be offended, and nor would I be. After all, there's nothing to be ashamed of when it isn't true. I would, however, be offended by other people's vindictiveness and intent to offend - especially if I had not wronged them to begin with. Perhaps I find other things offensive, like betrayal, for instance. Assault as another. Perhaps I may find some insults offensive. But there is nothing inherently offensive about anything.

so you're saying that what people use to offend is not offensive but their intent to offend is? how are you separating the two?

sirell wrote:
I wouldn't be offended if you then told me you were racist and agreed with the statement. Good for you, bro - prepare to handle the full prejudice of the fairer society and agree with an incorrect statement. I but only laugh at you. You can call me all the *****y names in the world (I'm Chinese) and I would not be offended. Perhaps your 'insults' are true, in which case, why would I take offense, since they are true? Perhaps your insults are just false name-callings, in which case, why would I take offense, since they are but as air?

you were the one who claimed i was offended by the statement, now i'm telling you i agree with the statement and therefore cannot be offended by it even though i find it offensive.

sirell wrote:
'I am not offended by this comment, but I find this comment offensive.' It's inherently self-contradictory. You have not answered this, yet.
No, it's not. how is it inherently contradictory if i just told you that's how I feel? Are you saying i'm lying? that such a thing is not possible? that i'm crazy? because if you are i'm afraid you're the crazy one. whatever you think does not affect reality, and the reality is that i am not offended by that comment, but I find the comment offensive.

sirell wrote:
You find the concept offensive, which is not the same as the comment. You find it offensive that other people try to insult other people. That is a separate thing to be offended by. You are getting your subjects confused.

no, i find the comment offensive regardless of who says it to who, it's an offensive comment with the intent to offend. i'm not offended by it unless it's said to me, but it's still offensive.

sirell wrote:
And yes, if you attempt to make an insult, you are trying to use what YOU find offensive. However, since it is directed at someone else, they might not find it offensive, making it totally inert to them. Similarly, if someone redirected your own insults back at you, you are likely to find them offensive.
So you're saying that I can find something offensive without being offended by it? ok. thanks.

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 5:08pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
do you find it offensive? are you offended by it? if not, why did you make such remark? if yes, then thank you for proving me right.

How does me being offended prove you right? If I was offended, that just means I found what you said offensive. If I wasn't offended, that just means what you said wasn't offensive to me. You seem to be making a logical gap somewhere along the way. And no, I didn't find it offensive. I found your hypocrisy hilarious, though. Your logical incompetence definitely shows... and I don't say that to offend, it is merely an observation.

FireLord wrote:
so you're saying that what people use to offend is not offensive but their intent to offend is? how are you separating the two?

Because the two are different concepts. What you say doesn't matter. I don't find any of that offensive. However, that you are trying to insult me can still offend me. The two concepts are separate. One looks at process and one looks at content.

FireLord wrote:
you were the one who claimed i was offended by the statement, now i'm telling you i agree with the statement and therefore cannot be offended by it even though i find it offensive.

You finding offense with the statement is to do with you and not with anyone else. I don't know how much more simply I can put this. It doesn't matter if the statement itself is true or not. It can be true and offensive, and it can be false and offensive. The reason I don't find it offensive is because it is not true. You may think it is true and find it offensive, but again, I reiterate as simply as I can - it is to do with you, and not with anybody else.

FireLord wrote:
No, it's not. how is it inherently contradictory if i just told you that's how I feel? Are you saying i'm lying? that such a thing is not possible? that i'm crazy? because if you are i'm afraid you're the crazy one. whatever you think does not affect reality, and the reality is that i am not offended by that comment, but I find the comment offensive.

Wow... You honestly don't see the contradiction in 'I am not offended by this comment, but I find this comment offensive'? If you don't, then I honestly can't explain it to you any simpler. You just simply cannot grasp the concept.

FireLord wrote:
no, i find the comment offensive regardless of who says it to who, it's an offensive comment with the intent to offend. i'm not offended by it unless it's said to me, but it's still offensive.

That is the concept and not the content. You are getting your subjects confused. You say you're not offended unless it's said to you. In other words, you find the concept offensive to begin with.

FireLord wrote:
So you're saying that I can find something offensive without being offended by it? ok. thanks.

No... You are finding something offensive which offends you... Again, you are getting the subjects confused. You attempting to offend others is not you finding what you use offensive. You may believe that what you are attempting offends others, but whether it is or is not offensive is subject to the other party and not to you. Perhaps you may consider what you say to be offensive, but only because you yourself would find offense at it to begin with. Hence, you are finding offense in what you believe to be offensive.
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 5:20pm | Report
sirell wrote:
How does me being offended prove you right? If I was offended, that just means I found what you said offensive. If I wasn't offended, that just means what you said wasn't offensive to me. You seem to be making a logical gap somewhere along the way. And no, I didn't find it offensive. I found your hypocrisy hilarious, though. Your logical incompetence definitely shows... and I don't say that to offend, it is merely an observation.

no, not that. i'm saying you proved that you can be offended by something that isn't true even though you earlier said the opposite

sirell wrote:
Because the two are different concepts. What you say doesn't matter. I don't find any of that offensive. However, that you are trying to insult me can still offend me. The two concepts are separate. One looks at process and one looks at content.

no, because the intent alone is meaningless. i can have the intent to offend you and just say "dhfsjhflsdjsklajfd". the intent is there, the action is meaningless and cannot offend because it lacks an insult.

FireLord wrote:

sirell wrote:
You finding offense with the statement is to do with you and not with anyone else.

are you sure? because if i say it to a black guy i'm pretty sure it has more to do with him than with me. it's offensive because it's what society believes to be offensive. it has both the intent and capacity to offend.

sirell wrote:
Wow... You honestly don't see the contradiction in 'I am not offended by this comment, but I find this comment offensive'? If you don't, then I honestly can't explain it to you any simpler. You just simply cannot grasp the concept.

it's you who fails to understand the concept. something being offensive is not directly related to someone finding that comment offensive.

sirell wrote:
That is the concept and not the content. You are getting your subjects confused. You say you're not offended unless it's said to you. In other words, you find the concept offensive to begin with.
what? the content, the words, exist for the sole purpose of voicing concepts. you cannot separate them. you cannot think of a concept without thinking of words to describe it. our thoughts are words.

sirell wrote:
No... You are finding something offensive which offends you... Again, you are getting the subjects confused. You attempting to offend others is not you finding what you use offensive. You may believe that what you are attempting offends others, but whether it is or is not offensive is subject to the other party and not to you. Perhaps you may consider what you say to be offensive, but only because you yourself would find offense at it to begin with. Hence, you are finding offense in what you believe to be offensive.

ok, here's the thing. think of something that you find offensive. now, according to you that is offensive because you are offended by it, and nothing else. so, if you were completely removed from society, according to you, you would still find it offensive. but that's not true.

a black men will be offended by "black people are stupider than white people". however, remove him from society and that will not longer be offensive because "white people" no longer exist. it would be the same as saying "white people are stupider than green people". in this case, the link you claim that makes something offensive is unbroken, yet the sentence stops being offense. therefore, you are wrong, if you were right then the sentence would remain offensive to him irregardless of his surroundings.

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 5:52pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
no, not that. i'm saying you proved that you can be offended by something that isn't true even though you earlier said the opposite

Actually, I said that I wasn't offended by a racist remark because it wasn't true. I didn't say anything about offense being necessitated by truth. If you also read my follow up posts, then you'll notice that I say offense has nothing in regards to truth or falsity.

FireLord wrote:
no, because the intent alone is meaningless. i can have the intent to offend you and just say "dhfsjhflsdjsklajfd". the intent is there, the action is meaningless and cannot offend because it lacks an insult.

Why not? I say I am insulted by the intent, who are you to say otherwise? Even if the action is meaningless, why does that logically necessitate that I cannot be insulted? And since you can be offended by something not intended to insult, your last sentence is also wrong. You make too many logical leaps.

FireLord wrote:
are you sure? because if i say it to a black guy i'm pretty sure it has more to do with him than with me. it's offensive because it's what society believes to be offensive. it has both the intent and capacity to offend.

Then that is the black guy finding offense in what you say. It is indeed to do with him. But then you are agreeing with me! I said the exactly same thing to you! It's to do with him and not with the comment or with you who is attempting to be offensive! It is precisely to do with him! Thank you, for agreeing with me for all the uninterested Mobafire readers to see!

And even so, what if he doesn't take offense? Your hypothetical situation seems to be resting on this pre-concocted idea that the black guy will take offense. What if he just shrugs and ignores you and takes no offense? It's not offensive because society believes it to be offensive. Like I said, I don't find it offensive. Maybe the majority of society is offended by it, but then that is to do with that majority. But what about the minority who don't find it offensive? Sure, I don't deny that it has the capacity to offend, but that doesn't mean that it is offensive in and of itself. One does not necessitate the other.

FireLord wrote:
it's you who fails to understand the concept. something being offensive is not directly related to someone finding that comment offensive.

OK, let us pose this scenario instead.

Imagine that there is nothing else around you, no one else and nothing else. Now imagine you try and be offensive. It is completely meaningless! There is no offense if there is no one to take offense in the first place! It is completely and absolutely related to someone finding that comment offensive.

However, even that scenario has a flaw - it is still entirely possible that you find offense at what you say. but then, you are still the subject that is taking offense. In other words, something being offensive is still directly related to someone finding that comment offensive, even if it's yourself.

FireLord wrote:
what? the content, the words, exist for the sole purpose of voicing concepts. you cannot separate them. you cannot think of a concept without thinking of words to describe it. our thoughts are words.

Wrong. Content is the exact specifics of the circumstance and is not necessarily to do with concepts whatsoever. The content in this case are the exact details of what is said. The concept is the motivation behind why it is said. The two are separate. You can see motive in content, but not necessarily content in motive. In other words, I might be able to see from how you perform an action to stipulate why you perform that action, but why you perform that action does not necessarily precipitate how you do that action. And nor are thoughts necessarily words. I can have thoughts which are pictures, sounds, taste... none of these are words. I can link words to these concepts, but I can still have a thought/concept that does not require words.

FireLord wrote:
ok, here's the thing. think of something that you find offensive. now, according to you that is offensive because you are offended by it, and nothing else. so, if you were completely removed from society, according to you, you would still find it offensive. but that's not true.

a black men will be offended by "black people are stupider than white people". however, remove him from society and that will not longer be offensive because "white people" no longer exist. it would be the same as saying "white people are stupider than green people". in this case, the link you claim that makes something offensive is unbroken, yet the sentence stops being offense. therefore, you are wrong, if you were right then the sentence would remain offensive to him irregardless of his surroundings.

Firstly, even if you remove a black man from society, that doesn't suddenly necessitate that white men cease to exist.

But let us examine this scenario anyway, because this is fairly amusing.

Indeed, if white people didn't exist and someone made the statement 'black people are stupider than white people', no one would find offense. In the same respect, if white people did exist and someone said 'black people are stupider than white people', I have still yet to see what necessitates offense.

The link I make for something being offense is simply that one must be offended. The link remains unbroken in any circumstance.

If WP (White People) don't exist, then I take no offense.

If WP do exist, then I take no offense.

If WP exist, then I take offense.

If WP don't exist, I take offense.

All these statements are logically coherent. There is no contradiction within each statement. And yet they are contradictory when put alongside each other - none of them can co-exist at the same time. Which only leaves the conclusion that the statement is subjective. But subjective to what? To the 'I'. That is the subject which must change each time. It might change from 'Me at t0 not being offended' to 'Me at t1 being offended'.

It is completely and absolutely up to the subject.

If there is no one to offend, whereon are you offensive?

Allow me to explain again, even though I know you will disagree with the utmost of your ability and fantastic grammatical English.

Take the following two statements as true.

A) You find 'x' offensive.
B) I do not find 'x' offensive.

So then is 'x' offensive or not?

The answer must be 'it depends'. Depends on what? The subject - you and I.

Hence, whether something is offensive or not is dependent on the one who is (or is not) being offended.

I have a suggestion for you. Perhaps the question you should be asking yourself is not whether the statement is offensive or not, but rather WHY you find it offensive. Why is it you find it offensive and I do not? Consider that.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide