Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Dota 2 free for best joke

Creator: Ninja Trigger January 5, 2013 4:38pm
83 posts - page 4 of 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:40pm | Report
you can be offended by a sentance but not by intent alone. i never said you couldn't, you're just putting words in my mouse.

no, i said that both me and the black guy would find the comment offensive, but only he would be offended by it. i wouldn't.

in your scenario i can't be offensive because there's nothing to be offensive about. you are taking away what i consider the "entity" that deems what is offensive and isn't, society.
"all black people should die" is offensive, wether you say it to yourself or to someone else.
"i like yellow pants" is not offensive, whether someone is offended or not

the content are the words, the concept is what the words describe. take the concept away and "hello" becomes the same as "eskjqhfklqasj". what your saying is that saying "fhsdjkfhsjkljfaskljas" with the intent to insult someone is the same as a proper insult, it's not, it's meaningless.

lol. so your saying that it is only subjective to "I"? what about the other part of the sentences? the white people exisitng or not? why did you ignore that part. no. whether you found it offensive or not had as much to do with you and with the existance of WP. you just proved yourself wrong.

X doesn't depend on you or i. it depends on what the community perceives as offensive. "i like yellow pants" is not an offensive comment even though i'm sure theres some weird fcked up guy that will be offended by it. "all black people should die" is an offensive comment whether or not a black person heard it.

"I have a suggestion for you. Perhaps the question you should be asking yourself is not whether the statement is offensive or not, but rather WHY you find it offensive. Why is it you find it offensive and I do not? Consider that."
because you're not saying how you feel so you can pretend to be right. just like in the other topic about pokemon. sorry, you're simply not correct. i know it's offensive because you're demeaning other people. i don't even need to know those people or even seen them to know it's offensive. if someone tells me "green people should die" and green people actually exist then that's offensive even if no green people heard the comment. it's simply what the word means. offensive means to attack, if you're attacking someone you're being offensive weather or not that person is offended. it's not about you or about me, it's about what that word means and it has a defined meaning.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ rєmєmвєr tσ +rєp mє íf í dєsєrvє ít! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★ тнαикѕ тσ тнє_иαмєℓєѕѕ_вαя∂ fσя тнιѕ αмαzιиg ѕιgиαтυяє! ★ ★ ★
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:43pm | Report
Where are my DOTA 2 keys? Checked my inbox all day and I have yet to receive one key. I'm totally reporting you to the MOBAfail police.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 7:14pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
you can be offended by a sentance but not by intent alone. i never said you couldn't, you're just putting words in my mouse.

Why not? You provide no reason whatsoever as to why I can't. If I say I am offended by intent, who are you to say otherwise?

FireLord wrote:
no, i said that both me and the black guy would find the comment offensive, but only he would be offended by it. i wouldn't.

Not necessarily, you assume the black guy finds it offensive or offended by it. And again, it merely means you are offended by the concept that someone else is being discriminated. Yada yada yada. Getting bored of repeating myself now.

FireLord wrote:
the content are the words, the concept is what the words describe. take the concept away and "hello" becomes the same as "eskjqhfklqasj". what your saying is that saying "fhsdjkfhsjkljfaskljas" with the intent to insult someone is the same as a proper insult, it's not, it's meaningless.

Why is it meaningless? There's intent - therefore there is meaning, even if you say something nonsensical. I could just make a random-sounding grunt, but if I manage to stipulate intent from it, then it holds meaning. And thus, if it holds meaning, I can accordingly hold offense.

FireLord wrote:
lol. so your saying that it is only subjective to "I"? what about the other part of the sentences? the white people exisitng or not? why did you ignore that part. no. whether you found it offensive or not had as much to do with you and with the existance of WP. you just proved yourself wrong.

Your logical training is really, really bad. There is a reason I listed 4 statements and that is because it covers all the differences. Go read it again. I do not 'neglect' it nor ignore it. Again, you misunderstand.

[quoteFireLord]X doesn't depend on you or i. it depends on what the community perceives as offensive. "i like yellow pants" is not an offensive comment even though i'm sure theres some weird fcked up guy that will be offended by it. "all black people should die" is an offensive comment whether or not a black person heard it.[/quote]

The community is also a subject in the same way as 'you or I'. My point stands and you just confirmed it.

Why should the statement 'all black people should die' be offensive? There is no reason for this, you just assume, assume, assume. You give no actual reason as to why it is offensive. Because the reason it is offensive is only if you find offense at it. Whether it be with the idea or with the statement itself, you find offense at it; you find it offensive. In the same way, 'I like yellow pants' might offend someone who detests the colour yellow, especially on pants. There is no inherent reason why these statements are even remotely offensive. Where within them is the 'offense'? The only actual reason it is offensive is because you perceive it to be so. Making you, once again, the subject.

FireLord wrote:
because you're not saying how you feel so you can pretend to be right. just like in the other topic about pokemon. sorry, you're simply not correct. i know it's offensive because you're demeaning other people. i don't even need to know those people or even seen them to know it's offensive. if someone tells me "green people should die" and green people actually exist then that's offensive even if no green people heard the comment. it's simply what the word means. offensive means to attack, if you're attacking someone you're being offensive weather or not that person is offended.

Basing an argument off feelings does not make it rationally more valid, sad to say. I repeat myself so much and you just fail to understand. I even wrote it out in the most basic formulations possible that even a child could understand and you still trip up before you start.

OK, let's take your words again and run this through.

Quoted:
offensive means to attack, if you're attacking someone you're being offensive weather or not that person is offended.

OK, see how in your words, to offend someone still requires a TARGET? A subject? Something which needs to exist in order to be offended?

Now, if that target was not there, what would you be 'offending', then? Who would find it offensive?

Derp.

OK, imagine those Green Men (Martians, if you will). If you say 'Martians should die' and they didn't exist, it's not offensive (your words). However, if they did exist, then it would be offensive. BUT WHY? Because the Martians would find it offensive? But then that is because they have become the target of this demeaning! There is someone for which it is possible to be offended by such a statement (the Martians). But if none of these Martians were offended by it, then why on earth should you (who has nothing to do with it whatsoever) find it offensive? It is because you find the concept of demeaning others offensive. Again, it is about the subject of these 'offenses'.

Incidentally, I love how you totally ignored my scenario of being the only thing around. Couldn't think of some rubbish counter-argument for that either?

Look, honestly, your own words have counter-argued your initial points over and over again.

You say that I'm incorrect, but are totally incapable of locating where. You repeat your assumptions with no strong evidence or reasoning...

And also, you didn't consider why you actually find it offensive. I mean, really thought about it. Why are you offended when Toshabi said this thread was a joke? On top of this, you claim it might be sexual harassment. Seriously. WTF. From your very first post, your logical reasoning was out the window.

Guess it can't be helped. This must be the limit of your rational capabilities.
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:02pm | Report
I already said there was a winner, I only had one key to give and I gave it to Meiyjhe or at least I will when he adds me on steam, Uggh I don't even know why this started a fight
Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:23pm | Report
Holy...

I think you should get this thread locked :>
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:30pm | Report
agreed it has gotten out of hand
DemonSovereign
<Member>
DemonSovereign's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:42pm | Report
I've seen a lot of sirell vs FireLord arguments lately lol
Keep the arguments with PMs?
Seriously though, a few pages of arguments in every single thread isn't fun to read.
Thanks TinyStar for the amazing sig<3
Care to check out my Mordekaiser guide? I'd appreciate it :D
Dark Metallica-Rocking With Mordekaiser
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:51pm | Report
Yeah I wanted this thread to be used as a quick way to get rid of an extra dota2 key, you know give back to the mobafire community, because even I have gotten free games from off topic threads here before, and just wanted to give back.
Sig by xDarkWOlfxz
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:53pm | Report
So why didn't you give me MY DOTA 2 beta key? Is it because you're racist? Do you hate my people?
MrCuddowls wrote:

Hahahaha telling me my items are bad HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA
Listen buddy don't judge someone's items if your only level 13
This build is Platinum approved, Thats all you need to know

DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 9:56pm | Report
brony isnt going to be a race anytime soon hopefully
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9