Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

EA CEO on gaming microtransactions

Creator: caucheka March 19, 2012 10:26pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 2:51pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

You mean like exactly what people can do with movies, music and basically every single entertainment product ever made?

Yep. But a good movie will be on cinemas across the globe and after some time on TV generating a **** ton of money without relying on dvds. Both good and incredibly ****ty music will be played at concerts throughout the world, once again generating a **** ton of money for the bands. However, a good game can only rely on how many copy it sells and if they can only reach the first "batch" of costumers then they're pretty much screwed.

Micro-transactions and DLCs can fix it, but it can also ruin a game depending on how it's done. A micro-transaction can either encourage people to buy cosmetic because they like the game or discourage people from playing it because they need to purchase OP items to play. DLCs can make it unnoticeable for a costumer if they make the overall price the same or can make the game unaffordable.

It really depends on how the company handles the idea, but usually when people get too greedy the game is bound to fail.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 3:05pm | Report
canoas, my problem with dlc is when its already on the disc, and the 'dlc' you buy is a code that unlocks the content that was on the disc. thats when its problematic.

or when its overpriced, like cod map packs. 15 bucks for 5 maps? when 2-3 of them are maps from one of the previous cod games? no thanks.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 5:34pm | Report
no caucheka, that's actually perfect. You see, that describes exactly what I was saying. For you the price remains unchanged but the designer will get a "share" of the profit from a re-sold game. All you have to do is buy the game and buy the DLC, there are no extra hassles like having to download and install it, it's already there.

Example 1: A normal game in a CD
You buy the CD for 50€.
The store gets 15€ of the sale.
The designer gets 35€.

You play the game and decide to sell it back to the gamestore for 15€.
The store re-sells it for 25€.
The store gets 25€.
The designer gets 0€.

Example 2: A game in a CD where a part of is unlocked through DLC.
You buy the CD for 35€.
You buy the DLC for 15€.
The store gets 15€ of the sale.
The designer gets 35€.

You play the game and decide to sell it back to the gamestore for 10€.
The store re-sells it for 20€.
The store gets 20€.
The designer gets 15€ thanks to the DLC.

For you, the owner of a first hand copy, it changes absolutely nothing besides the fact that you need to waste 3 more minutes to unlock the DLC. However, the game designer gets a lot more profit since 2nd hand buyers will also pay for the DLC. The store will no longer be able to profit more from the re-sale than from the original sale while the designer gets nothing.

If the designer made it so the DLC would need to be downloaded then I would have a problem with it. Instead of being harmless to the fans it would actually cause me to be disappointed the moment I get home to pop in the CD and realise I still need to wait for the download.

Another issue that is important is if it's clearly specified on the box that you'll need to purchase an additional DLC to get the whole game, since if they hide it then they're pretty much scamming their costumers.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 5:36pm | Report
Except they don't reduce the price of the game itself.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 6:02pm | Report
How much does it cost, how much does the DLC cost and how much did the prequel cost?
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 6:39pm | Report
no, an online pass is different. and while i don't like it i can at least agree with getting a pass if you buy the game new. however most games don't do online passes right.

a) games that are single player (batman ac) should NOT have an online pass. furthermore, especially not if getting 100% requires you to have said online pass content.
b) games that lock you completely out of multiplayer.

the only games i've seen do the pass correctly are space marine and homefront, where they allow you to still play the multiplayer but lock your level advancement at 5, letting you get a small taste of what the multiplayer has to offer so you can decide if you want it or not.

dlc that is on the disc that isnt part of the online pass is wrong. when i buy a new copy of the game, i should be entitled to all the content that is on the disc, no exceptions.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:15am | Report
So you prefer that publishers stop making offline games because the profit is too low instead of the game requiring an online activation? Sure, makes sense.
And all you've done so far is argue that they should require you to download the DLC as well. If what you want is for the DLC on the disc to be erased then that's easy to do. But does that even make sense? They make it easy for you, they even make it so you don't need any extra downloads. You are not affected at all by this busisness model yet you're whining for absolutely no reason.

They're not taking any extra money from you, they're not tricking you into buying an incomplete game, they're simply changing the busisness model so they can get some profit off re-sales. You are not affected at all and they ensured you wouldn't be.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:44am | Report
developers got by just fine back in ps2 era with single player games that didnt have an online pass, i understand why they are doing it but as i mentioned they do it wrong.

don't give me this 'save me the download' ********, if the dlc is available on disc, that means the developers took time out of developing the game and put that to developing the dlc. they intentionally ripped part of the game out to sell it to you later. unless its cosmetic then thats ********.

yes ea is tricking people into buying an incomplete game when they rip part of the game out to sell you as dlc (thats not part of the online pass).

Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 6:15am | Report
WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE A GAME, WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER THAT I DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:12pm | Report
Lugignaf wrote:

WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE A GAME, WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER THAT I DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?

Yes it is.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide