Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

EA CEO on gaming microtransactions

Creator: caucheka March 19, 2012 10:26pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 9:50am | Report
Okay, what's your hang-up with Capcom?

Release dates are good as well as mechanics of their games.
Ones that spring to mind straight away are Megaman(series) and Resident Evil(series)

I know neither have had significant releases in the past few years but, you can't deny they weren't good series.
True love is found only in yourself.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 10:14am | Report
capcom with dlc.

also its a minor point but including 'super' editions 6 months after the games release for cheaper and with bonus content.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 11:14am | Report
caucheka wrote:

capcom with dlc.

also its a minor point but including 'super' editions 6 months after the games release for cheaper and with bonus content.

You don't have to get DLC though....
Also, there's this thing called "waiting" that is a really great thing to have.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 11:17am | Report
when the dlc is on the disc is when its a problem.

street fighter x tekken has all of the skins available on the disc, even the ones that havnt been 'released' yet. you can also get the ps3 'exclusive' characters on the xbox version from hacking the disc as well.

and then when someone found a glitch on some other capcom game where they could get the skins without buying the dlc, it was fixed in a few days. while game breaking glitches that have been abused for months hadnt been patched.

in related news, ea customer help reps have given out a few full refunds for digital copies of me3, and amazon is doing the same, for digital and hard copies.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 12:16pm | Report
Lost hope in Ea long before.

Bloody killed my Command and conquer D:.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 1:49pm | Report
DLC's are good, and they're here to stay. If you don't like DLC's then blame retailers.
You see, when a company releases a game it will ship to retailers and then the retailers will sell the game and a % will go for the game desginers. However, after people play through he game or get bored of it they will sell it back to the retailers for some extra cash and they re-sell it for 100% profit. None of the re-sell profit goes to the designers, which means that if people wait a few months they can buy 2nd hand games without giving the designer a single cent.
The solution to this is to cut the price of the original game and release a part of the game as DLC. This way the price of the game remains unchanged for the client but when a game is re-sold the new buyer will still buy the DLC from the designer. All that changes is that people who buy second hand games might have to pay a bit more and the resellers won't make that much profit.

Obviously this all changes if they keep the original game instead of lowering it at the same price and charge extra for the DLCs, but I don't have enough info to confirm if that's what they're doing.

Also, that's a 1 min sound clip. I don't know the context of the conversation so anything said in the 1 min clip is completely meaningless.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 2:10pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

You see, when a company releases a game it will ship to retailers and then the retailers will sell the game and a % will go for the game desginers. However, after people play through he game or get bored of it they will sell it back to the retailers for some extra cash and they re-sell it for 100% profit. None of the re-sell profit goes to the designers, which means that if people wait a few months they can buy 2nd hand games without giving the designer a single cent.

You mean like exactly what people can do with movies, music and basically every single entertainment product ever made?

Not that anyone actually buys music.
Beeswarm17
<Member>
Beeswarm17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 2:12pm | Report
...I buy music... >_>
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2012 2:14pm | Report
Beeswarm17 wrote: