Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

I need a decent PC with at least an i5...

Creator: Phil Collins September 24, 2012 9:07pm
Zhaso
<Member>
Zhaso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2012 8:00pm | Report
CPU: i5-3450 - $195
OR i3-3220 - $130 if you don't need a quad-core processor for rendering or whatever. Dual-core is enough for gaming.

RAM: G.Skill 4GB - $18
Or, add ~$20 to get 8GB RAM. Helps with running browsers and stuff while you game.

Motherboard: ASRock H77 - $70 (on sale from 75)

HDD: Depends on how much storage you need.. 500 GB Caviar Blue - $70 or 1 TB Samsung F3 - $85.

GPU: MSI GTX 650 1GB - $120 after $10 rebate
^ you can get the EVGA GTX 650 for $110 after rebate which is 10 less. It doesn't have a review, but it's a very trustworthy brand.

PSU: Corsair 500W, 80+ - $40 after rebate, promo code brings it to $30 I think

DVD Drive: Sony DVD Drive - $19

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $30 after rebate

Total comes to $552 with the quad core i5 and 500GB HDD and EVGA GPU. Doesn't include taxes or shipping, but you can sign up for the trial for ShopRunner and get free 2-day shipping. You can also find some better prices on some of these parts on Amazon (the 500GB HDD is $10 cheaper on Amazon).

Good luck! :D hope I didn't forget any parts.

EDIT: Windows is like $100.. but yeah you can get that.............. by other means if necessary.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2012 8:05pm | Report
OH MANG DEM PRICES

I would just say to bump up to 8GB G Skill, it's like 20 more and it will increase gaming FPS by a bit and overall have more efficiency if you are doing more than one or two tasks.

For optical drive, I'd go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

$1 more and has a burner, more energy efficiency, etc.

And if you want monitors you should look at 2 or 3 ms 20" +, that will be in the ballpark of 100-150. And then your mouse and keyboard and mousepad.

Basic ones will suffice, but if you want to spend a little more you can pick up a mechanical keyboard and a gaming mouse =o

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Zhaso
<Member>
Zhaso's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2012 8:11pm | Report

OH MANG DEM PRICES

I would just say to bump up to 8GB G Skill, it's like 20 more and it will increase gaming FPS by a bit and overall have more efficiency if you are doing more than one or two tasks.

For optical drive, I'd go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

$1 more and has a burner, more energy efficiency, etc.

And if you want monitors you should look at 2 or 3 ms 20" +, that will be in the ballpark of 100-150. And then your mouse and keyboard and mousepad.

Basic ones will suffice, but if you want to spend a little more you can pick up a mechanical keyboard and a gaming mouse =o

I posted a burner too o_o doesn't have to say "burner" to burn :P.
but yeah, that one looks like a good option too.

Also, don't really need a 2ms monitor. It's going to raise the price for something not truly necessary especially on a budget build; if you don't already have a monitor, I'd recommend something like this ACER 21.5" 1080p monitor ($130).
Or this Dell monitor which is 2ms at $140, but it doesn't have an HDMI port; just a DVI-HDMI adapter. Depends on your needs.

edit: also wadafa Josh more ram =/= more FPS ;_;
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2012 8:16pm | Report
NOPE I saw a thing and it compared fps of same games with various RAM.

you get a few FPS increase from 4 to 8, and then after 8 it very slightly drops off.

Not sure why, but ya.

But for $20 def. do 8 gigs...I have 4 gigs on my laptop that I used to game on before I built my PC, and I used to run out of RAM with various things, especially photoshop, and stuff was slow and it was annoying. Totally worth the $20, 8 gigs is really nice.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Phil Collins
<Member>
Phil Collins's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2012 9:40pm | Report
Written down, will go to the nearest electronics store to build it. Thanks a lot Zhaso!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 26, 2012 8:01am | Report

For GPU, you can go GTX 650 -- really good performance for it's price, $120. And it's small, meaning you can build an mATX if you wanted to. No need to get AMD when you can get NVIDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

You're such a fanboy --.--
(being a fanboy is BAD)

That card is actually ****. AMD has way better cards in that pricerange.. HD7770 has roughly 25% better performance at the same price and HD7750 has 1% worse performance at 15$ less.

you get a few FPS increase from 4GB to 8GB, and then after 8GB it very slightly drops off.

Not sure why, but ya.

It's because of latency.

Oh okay, thanks for the help you two. I suppose I'll just pull more money out of my back account for a PC since the budget is too low.

You should. The quality and performance of components increase significantly just by bumping total price up 200$ or so.

Written down, will go to the nearest electronics store to build it.

Wait, you're buying online, but then going to an electronics store to build it?

Are you gonna buy them at Newegg?
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Phil Collins
<Member>
Phil Collins's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 26, 2012 8:05am | Report
I didn't say I was going to buy them online. I mean I could, but I just don't trust in buying stuff off the internet anymore.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 26, 2012 8:09am | Report

I didn't say I was going to buy them online. I mean I could, but I just don't trust in buying stuff off the internet anymore.

Buying online isn't really a problem. If you're gonna buy them in a store the prices will be considerably higher.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 26, 2012 9:39am | Report
Yea, and they might not have it.

A store like BestBuy or something doesn't carry separate computer components, only speciality stores like microcenter do. Better off just ordering it online, and newegg has free 2 day shipping if you sign up for that shoprunner trial.

Make sure you watch all teh videos, even the 2nd one twice, before you build! It will help, trust me. And have it up on another computer to reference to when you are building in case you forget something.
Bloofyre wrote:
May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 26, 2012 10:35am | Report
Zhaso wrote:

CPU: i5-3450 - $195
OR i3-3220 - $130 if you don't need a quad-core processor for rendering or whatever. Dual-core is enough for gaming.

RAM: G.Skill 4GB - $18
Or, add ~$20 to get 8GB RAM. Helps with running browsers and stuff while you game.

Motherboard: ASRock H77 - $70 (on sale from 75)

HDD: Depends on how much storage you need.. 500 GB Caviar Blue - $70 or 1 TB Samsung F3 - $85.

GPU: MSI GTX 650 1GB - $120 after $10 rebate
^ you can get the EVGA GTX 650 for $110 after rebate which is 10 less. It doesn't have a review, but it's a very trustworthy brand.

PSU: Corsair 500W, 80+ - $40 after rebate, promo code brings it to $30 I think

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $30 after rebate

Oh, man. Hardware is much cheaper in the US than in Sweden :(

How does one go about getting those rebates?

Some notes for Phil:
Overall pretty good products I'd say.

But GTX650 is garbage at that price. HD7770 has 25% better performance. So I'd recommend getting the HD7770.

PSUs with 80+GOLD are to prefer over 80+normal. 80+ is ~80% efficiency while 80+GOLD is ~88%, saving you about 10% electricity.

8GB RAM is probably the best choice right now.

That motherboard seems like good value, but overclocking and extra features seem sparse. Just something to keep in mind.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide