Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

It's time for a MOBA with a single-player story

Creator: TheDigitalMonk June 26, 2011 11:57am
TheDigitalMonk
<Member>
TheDigitalMonk's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 11:57am | Report
Obviously, multiplayer is the most important thing in a dota, but I see so much potential to take the lore of these games one step deeper. It would be super super easy to have missions similar to warcraft 3's campaigns because the engine and game mechanics are already built. The only "new" things that would be needed for a campaign are:

1. Mission specific maps
2. In-game cutscenes at the beginning and end of each mission

Ta-dah! Simple and easy single player has been made. On top of this, developing a single player campaign could spark a lot of new ideas for map construction. I'm pretty baffled that the standard 3 lane base to base approach hasn't really been shaken up at all besides minor tweaks. With a single player, developers don't need to worry about balance nearly as much as a multiplayer release. They can experiment without any consequences.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 4:29pm | Report
tbh it wouldn't really work as mobas are meant to be pvp games.

i mean, you could try to have a moba where your character levels and stuff in single player mission/story mode and then play pvp games with them, but thats called diablo 3.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Ya1232
<Member>
Ya1232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 4:34pm | Report
Just to make it clear
MOBA - Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.

If you were to give it a single player aspect and and missions, that would turn it from a MOBA into an MMO.
AkA WoW
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 4:36pm | Report
I wuld not mind some kind of tutorial lvls with some lore stuff. Wuld make sense!

It wuld give the lore geeks something. + make it a better first impresion for newer players
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 5:47pm | Report
I resent the term lore geeks :O

Would be cool to have a single player though...something a bit better then our current coop vs ai.

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 7:51pm | Report
I'd like some single-player things such as time attacks and survivals, like in beat'em ups xD
I don't know it would work, but it would be awesome.

Some kind of tutorial to use skill shots and test your aim would be awesome too. Imagine, each sec a minion spawns that walks randomly, and you got to hit them with a certain skill shot. It would be great so we can test new champs and their abilities.
Maybe a tutorial for each char would be better.
For Ashe you would need to kite 1/2 enemies for X distance/time. For Anivia you would need to hit those random minions with your glass ball. Lux would need to bind pairs of mobs. Each champ would get 4 challenges in order to use and learn their abilities.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2011 8:16pm | Report
Wow, I love the idea of having a single player LoL adventure mode. Would be super awesome, especially if they incorporated some of the lore.

+1 +1 +1!
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by owentheawesomer ♡
TheDigitalMonk
<Member>
TheDigitalMonk's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 28, 2011 8:17am | Report
Canoas wrote:

I'd like some single-player things such as time attacks and survivals, like in beat'em ups xD
I don't know it would work, but it would be awesome.

Some kind of tutorial to use skill shots and test your aim would be awesome too. Imagine, each sec a minion spawns that walks randomly, and you got to hit them with a certain skill shot. It would be great so we can test new champs and their abilities.
Maybe a tutorial for each char would be better.
For Ashe you would need to kite 1/2 enemies for X distance/time. For Anivia you would need to hit those random minions with your glass ball. Lux would need to bind pairs of mobs. Each champ would get 4 challenges in order to use and learn their abilities.

Oh snap! You just had a way better idea than me, let me expand:

Each champ would have their own single player mission that introduces their place in the game's lore as well as force you to use each of their abilities in a meaningful way depending on the story scenario. For example, maybe with Ashe you're tracking someone through a forest, so you have to use hawkshot to check in places you can't normally reach... then when you eventually find them you would have to chase/kite them with frost arrows and volley, and then at the end of the mission, the person escapes with 200hp and is almost to the other side of the map and protected by a horde of creeps... but Ashe learns her ult! And you fire an arrow, killing the enemy and ending the short level in an epic way.

-Introduces lore as a whole
-Introduces lore for your character
-Introduces the abilities
-Adds some variety
-Encourages you to learn new champs!

EDIT: If any mods happen to see this, could you move this thread to General Discussion? I realize now that this thread isn't really in the right place. Thanks!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide