Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Jill Sandwich: The Resident Evil Thread

Creator: throatslasher September 28, 2012 9:55am
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2012 3:24pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

Thats just as ****ed up as having someone explain ff7's plot. Not even fans of the game can properly explain REs story (minus code veronica) from just playing the game. The story was garbage in those games without the books that came out and you know it. It was poorly executed in the game. Capcoms fault! The games were fun, but the story was loose and packed with plot holes like final fantasy 7

Yea, there probably are many plot holes.

In many games it's often that the story makes excuses for gameplay scenarios. That alone makes good writing very hard to achieve.
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2012 3:30pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

im tempted to do some illegal things to play some of the earlier ones cuz retro games are the best games imo

Read the RE4 thread I made. I'm totally gonna play that game again on the PC and all the mods are gonna make it even more epic than it was back in the days.
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/off-topic/resident-evil-4-on-the-pc-modding-at-its-best-18090

Sadly, it seems nigh impossible to buy the game, so I'm gonna pirate it, but I did try to buy the game.
It's probably due to the fact that it's a TERRIBLE port without the mods.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Inferiae
<Member>
Inferiae's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2012 7:10pm | Report
Right so I've been playing a bit of RE:6 and just gonna slap my RE thoughts down here

Personally I miss the whole survival horror aspect that RE was so awesome at, RE2 is my personal favorite, lots of really solid puzzles that were actually challenging, the Police department setting was just brilliant, the place you would associate with being safest is suddenly **** scary, chuck in some awesome suspense and monsters and you had one of the best games of all damn time!

Nemesis and the RE1 remake also get special mentions as being absolutely awesome RE games in my eyes

Now to me it all went downhill on 4, not to say they're not great games, but they're just not classic Resi, the puzzles have become so laughable, the suspense completely removed, Leon became some wise cracking superhero compared to the rookie cop he was in RE2, it's just not the same game, and then 5 came along and completely ruined the scrap of survival horror it had going for it by giving you an annoying team mate.. 6 has moments of genius in Leon's campaign but Chris's just feels like a **** version of GoW

Unfortunately I feel that Dead Space is now the best survival horror game around, and Capcom need to get back to the drawing board and decide what they want Resi to be as at the moment it's all getting so watered down trying to appeal to everyone
Thanks Xiaowiriamu for the awesome signature!
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2012 7:57pm | Report
My only experience with the newest RE was the demo I downloaded for my 360.

Personally I feel the claustrophobic camera fails to provide a level of suspense and more over just gets in the way of playing the game, it prevents me from having a "comfortable" level of distance from my character. This means looking around for objects or enemies actually causes a headache (After I played I actually had a killer migraine). All through out each demo mission I found myself feeling more and more dizzy. Having to search every nook and cranny for a bit more ammo is what I consider to be the main reason the camera is poor and (at least for me) "sickening".

The controls are rather poor as well. Rather than provide a fluid style of game, the controls bog you down and make it difficult to navigate (combined with the poor camera) even when only battling a few enemies in close proximity. The "hip fire" button combo however feels rather satisfying, but with the majority of combat revolving around ADS to kill enemies it doesn't help the case. The IDEA utilized with the "down on the ground" combat is solid. THIS does feel fluid when I want to avoid an enemies' melee attack and or pull off stylish "Hardboiled" style kills. Melee combat is horrific, the lack of context sensitive melee's (aside from finishers with the melee weapon) makes battling back a horde of zombies when you're out of ammo nigh impossible. This adds to the lack of "fluidity" I hoped to expect, which adds to my additional disappointment.

Combat in general is "OK". The way each weapon feels, as well as how each character utilizes their set of weapons feels somewhat unique albeit "repetitive". The pistols/assault rifles/SMGs/Shotguns seem very responsive, however the sniper rife...Is by in large, THE WORST gun you can have. The heavy movement based fights make it border-line useless, and the lack of any real sense of stability means you're lucky if you even get a hit on a target. That isn't to say it isn't doable, or too difficult. But with the sluggish nature when scoped in with the sniper rifle, it DOES create unnecessary problems. The scale of the one boss fight I took part in was rather fun, but the lack of any real depth for it made me wonder why is this even a boss? Basically all I had to do was get behind him and shoot him 2 times in his "weak spot" then run up a ladder and jump on...It's an outdated mechanic, not saying it isn't a classic that I enjoy, but the lack of any prior bravado to finding that weak spot made me feel like the fight wasn't anything special. Final note: The cover system is horrible, it lacks any sense of usefulness and actually sometimes caused more issues than it solved. The enemies I got to face were pretty good. Their animations and reactions felt realistic (IE shooting them in the leg, makes them fall down). The variation in models and movement patterns meant I felt like I was killing individual infected rather than mindless hordes of the same Justin Bieber clones. The varying "transformations" the infected had were interesting too. They made me switch up my strategy a bit, but for the most part shooting them a lot worked well enough.

The overall appearance/presentation of RE 6 is pretty good. Set pieces feel quite organic and border on "chilling", enemies have an appropriate level of speckling, and most of the time add to a sense of urgency in an area. For the most part though there seems to be some blandness at least to what I saw on the missions I was able to run. Some areas are cluttered with random boxes and other debris that try to appeal to the "cover" game play too much rather than create a macabre atmosphere. The graphics look good, but cut scenes and some character animations feel very rushed/unpolished in comparison to others. An example being when your team mate picks you up with some tablets. Your partner just seems to be smashing the box of tablets into your face rather than administering aid. I know that is a bit nit picky, for the most part though the "appearance" of the game fits its purpose.

My overall verdict is a 6 or 7 out of 10 (I know a demo does not necessarily qualify as an ENTIRE game, but at the very least these are my first impressions). While not entirely staying true to the RE franchise, the strides attempted were made with good intent. But the same pitfalls that occurred in previous incarnations of the more recent RE series still showed their ugly mugs in RE 6. It is entirely possible to create a sense of anticipation/dread/fear WITHOUT the need to keep the camera so close to a character. Combat does not need to be constant or fast paced to keep players interested, what it needs to be is fluid and fun while CHALLENGING not frustrating. Atmosphere is what drives a horror based game, just as it drives horror movies, novels (graphic or otherwise), creating that atmosphere sometimes means leaving out things rather than piling them in.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 4, 2012 2:09am | Report
Inferiae wrote:

Now to me it all went downhill on 4, not to say they're not great games, but they're just not classic Resi, the puzzles have become so laughable, the suspense completely removed, Leon became some wise cracking superhero compared to the rookie cop he was in RE2, it's just not the same game, and then 5 came along and completely ruined the scrap of survival horror it had going for it by giving you an annoying team mate.. 6 has moments of genius in Leon's campaign but Chris's just feels like a **** version of GoW

I think it changed for the better with RE4, but that it went really far downhill with RE5. The game is a little light on puzzles, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, considering that the shooting is so much better.
Quoted:
Unfortunately I feel that Dead Space is now the best survival horror game around, and Capcom need to get back to the drawing board and decide what they want Resi to be as at the moment it's all getting so watered down trying to appeal to everyone

RE4 had some genuinely scary moments and I personally think it's on par with or close to Dead Space in atmosphere and scariness.
RE5 and 6 don't even seem like survival horror games though...

Personally I feel the claustrophobic camera fails to provide a level of suspense and more over just gets in the way of playing the game, it prevents me from having a "comfortable" level of distance from my character. This means looking around for objects or enemies actually causes a headache (After I played I actually had a killer migraine). All through out each demo mission I found myself feeling more and more dizzy. Having to search every nook and cranny for a bit more ammo is what I consider to be the main reason the camera is poor and (at least for me) "sickening".

I've never had a problem with that. Each to their own I guess.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 4, 2012 10:38am | Report

THIS IS THE MOD FOR YOU!
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=16282
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Inferiae
<Member>
Inferiae's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 4, 2012 10:57am | Report
RE4 did have some superb moments, and I'm really interested in trying it out on PC Searz with all the mods you've recommended in the other thread :)

What the world really needs is Parasite Eve III! (PSP version didn't count)
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 4, 2012 11:42am | Report
Inferiae wrote:

RE4 did have some superb moments, and I'm really interested in trying it out on PC Searz with all the mods you've recommended in the other thread :)

Nice, go ahead.
I just got all the mods (except for the HD cutscenes) and the game down myself. I'll be trying it out any time now. Although I dunno how well the mouse works since I haven't got myself a controller for my PC yet.
Keep in mind that the mouse controls might be awful.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 4, 2012 1:15pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

Thats just as ****ed up as having someone explain ff7's plot. Not even fans of the game can properly explain REs story (minus code veronica) from just playing the game. The story was garbage in those games without the books that came out and you know it. It was poorly executedin the game. Capcoms fault! The games were fun, but the story was loose and packed with plot holes like final fantasy 7

Oh, so now you say the story is garbage? I thought you said 'the story wasn't the best'?

RE1: Bizarre murders in the outskirts of raccoon city. Under pressure from chief brian irons, wesker assembles his S.T.A.R.S. squads alpha and bravo (Special Tactics And Rescue Squad) team to go investigate. Bravo takes a chopper into the arklay mountains, the supposed sight of the murders. Copter goes down. Send in Alpha team. They find the wreck, ambushed by dogs, flee into mansion. Can't go out the way they came, so they explore the mansion. OOO! zombies! OOO! puzzles! this is no ordinary house. Chris finds rebecca, Jill teams up with Barry. (let go with jill's story) Jill prances around the mansion, keys crests herbs ammo. Uses the crest and makes her way to the guard house. plants, spiders, etc. Jill runs into wesker, who's alive and well, strangely enough, after having disappeared shortly after she arrived. Finish guardhouse and find documents incriminating wesker, find keys, back to mansion, hunters, documents, find a battery, kill a snake, back to courtyard, into secret tunnel, find enrique, says there's a traitor, he gets shot, more tunnels, boom laboratory. Naked zombies, lab stuff, etc. Find chris, let him out. Find wesker, OMG BARRY DOUBLE AGENT?!? No, wesker blackmailed barry, wesker workin' for umbrella, umbrella paid him off and irons off to send wesker and stars in so wesker can detonate the facility and retrieve combat data between BOWs and stars members. wesker: huehuehue tyrant blarg i'm dead. they get to the helipad, TYRANT SMASH, rocket launcher, end cutscene. All this while, you're slowly piecing together what happened in the mansion, what exactly umbrella was doing here, etc.

Nothing wrong with that story. I don't feel like going into 2 and 3, but 2 is godlike story, 3 is just ok. 3 is just fun, that's why I enjoyed it so much.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Inferiae
<Member>
Inferiae's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 4, 2012 6:16pm | Report
Absolutely loved that Slasher, all it needs now is a chaotic video and Yahtzee doing the voice-over and you've got pure gold

Also completely agree that 3 whilst plot wise was a bit nuts, the Nemesis was incredible, where as in previous Resi's doors and stairs were sanctuary's he just flew through up stairs and bashed through walls, it's my scariest moment of all time in Resi 3 in a save room looking for ink for the typewriter listening to tha tranquil music when all off a sudden he came flying in

Bricks were shat

Also wtf happened to games allowing limited saves, the typewriter/ink combo was awesome! saving itself was a decision especially on hard modes when you got barely any ink

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide