Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

KONY 2012

Creator: XDotaIsBetterX March 7, 2012 1:37pm
110 posts - page 7 of 11
omagma
<Member>
omagma's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 12:47am | Report
Bryun wrote:

Are there not other organizations raising money for that too?
Explain to me how taking down Kony won't do '****'. Seems like you think we believe something like world peace will automatically happen when he's found. Everyone's aware that it's not going to put an end to all the abductions, mutilations, and rape. But it sure as hell will, decrease the amount of it.

Wow, you must really think that you are some kind of holy saint.

I can easily explain why it wont "do ****" in fact, it have been explained already in this thread.

The moment that Kony is taken down, another person will simply take his place.

Everyone would be much smarter to use there fronds on more productive things.
Thanks to me and Elleeeeeka (love that name) for my sigs.
If i made a helpful comment on your guide/build, then hit that +rep button. or don't, its not like i care.
ALL HAIL QUEEN CHRYSALIS!
Yougan
<Member>
Yougan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 3:13am | Report
/\ It might do ****, it might not. It might do a little damage, no damage or big damage.

I personally think It's worth a shot, to get something you need to sacrifice something. ^^

And for the "there are better things to do". There are always better things, but we can't ignore something just becuse it exists.

Thanks to jhoijhoi, Brynolf, Jeffy40hands, Samoh, MissMaw, Vavena, Koksei and The-Nameless-Bard for my signs
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 3:33am | Report
If one of that "bad/good guys" gets killed, he just gets replaced, in case the thing he/she did is alrdy big enough(for example if u program a game and just started, and die the next day, the development is stopped. But if some CEO die's, he gets replaced), so easy.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 5:15am | Report
omagma wrote:

I can easily explain why it wont "do ****" in fact, it have been explained already in this thread.

I never said I was some saint. You're getting pissed for what? I asked him to explain to me why it won't do ****, and there has been no clear answer. Someone may replace him, is your answer?
Joseph Kony, did something bad, he deserves to be captured. It's just like Osama Bin Laden.

That's been your only ****ing excuse, spend time on more 'productive things'. So capturing a guy that's killing many innocent children isn't 'productive' enough?

Yeah, and I'm the one who thinks I'm a saint. You must think you're god.

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 7:41am | Report
Because Kony is not that big and even if he was he would just get replaced. What happens to kony won't make any difference in the overall picture. That's like a dermatologist saying "It seems you have skin cancer, but we really need to fix that hair loss problem."
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 9:55am | Report
B-Wong wrote:

There's plenty of other places in Africa that probably have more importance over another. Taking down Kony isn't gonna do **** whereas if you were to make governmental reforms across Africa, there'd be more success.

Pardon the cheesy analogy. If you see people shoplifting, and nobody ever gets caught, and you're the type who is not morally against shoplifting, you might be inclined to try it.

If you see someone shoplifting, they get dramatically caught and slammed into the ground and dragged away in cuffs, then you might think twice about shoplifting.

The point is, no matter how much one wants to say it does nothing to "Dethrone" a criminal and a mass murderer, it really does do something. This is the positive momentum I was talking about. And it's a statement to those who might try to follow in Kony's footsteps in the future.

It's not that removing Kony means world peace, nobody thinks or believes that, and it's a silly notion. It's simply a statement that humanity does not stand for people like Kony and any future people wanting to be like Kony better watch out, because people are gonna take 'em out.

Also, there may very well be a thousand places in Africa with a higher level of importance. There may be better organizations than this one to deal with it as well. However there is no organization that has been more successful than this one in drawing attention to the issue. There is something to be said and acknowledged about that, isn't there?

Bryun wrote:

Are there not other organizations raising money for that too?
Explain to me how taking down Kony won't do '****'. Seems like you think we believe something like world peace will automatically happen when he's found. Everyone's aware that it's not going to put an end to all the abductions, mutilations, and rape. But it sure as hell will, decrease the amount of it.

omagma wrote:

Random and unnecessary rudeness. Who cares what he thinks he is, it doesn't matter. In fact, Bryun's motives are actually irrelevant, it's his actions that ought to be considered. So far he has basically posted that he supports many of the ideas of the "KONY2012" objective and I think most people who are thinking straight can agree that the removal of Kony would make the world a better place.

Yes, there will be another Kony. But at least there won't be TWO Kony's at the same time. Saying another will just take his place is simply bad logic.

In that case, let's empty out all of our prisons all over the world, since criminals don't need to be dealt with because they will simply be replaced. All the rapists and murderers and thieves and felons etc, just don't bother with them because they are going to be replaced soon anyway.

I reinstate, to those who are saying what happens to Kony doesn't matter, you need to read more about our history as a human peoples. Yes, there will always be "Bad guys" and villains and evil horrible people in the world willing to kill thousands to obtain their goals, there always have been, there always will be, and history teaches us that clearly. But waiting to put an end to them and neglecting to stop those people is how we've ended up with the ugliest stains on the story of humanity. That's how we got our Napoleons and our Hitlers and all of those who have committed the worst crimes against humanity. They were not confronted early enough. People like this need to be dealt with, they don't just go away on their own.

AND, when you deal with one, you make a statement to the others. That's why criminals in the USA have to run from the police. They know what it means when the police show up. And yet sometimes, criminals in other parts of the world just buy more guns and get more followers, and the police/military can't always deal with that kind of a problem. There's a pretty awful war against the cartels/druglords in Mexico. I suppose they shouldn't be outed either because well, they'll just be replaced.

You have to deal when criminals when they arise, and remove them before they become entrenched into a society.

TL;DR, not dealing with Kony simply means that when the guy who replaces Kony shows up, there will be two Kony's instead of one, so it'll be twice as bad.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 11:38am | Report
Canoas wrote:

Because Kony is not that big and even if he was he would just get replaced. What happens to kony won't make any difference in the overall picture. That's like a dermatologist saying "It seems you have skin cancer, but we really need to fix that hair loss problem."

He was indicted at the top of the court's most wanted list for 21 counts of war and 12 counts of crimes against humanity including murder, enslavement, sexual enslavement and rape. I disagree, what it comes down to again is, it won't completely stop the 'overall picture' but it will change it.

@DuffTime Regarding the 'world peace' thing, it was just a hyperbole to get my point across. :P

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 12:08pm | Report
@Bryun
and so far over 8 million have been donated to the cause. Do you know how many people you could save with 8 million? It's completely stupid to waste so much money on such a small cause.
This will change the "picture" as much as my example. Sure, he'll look better with hair but he's still dying and nothing is being done to stop the cancer. Kony has been inactive for 7 years now, what are you trying to do exactly? He'll barely cause any trouble now, why is 2012 the year to act?

@Dufftime
I'm not sure if you're joking or if you're just plain stupid. What message are you going to spread if you only manage to capture the guy after 30 years?
"You can form your own gang and kill, rape and pillage. But after 30 years you're going to get caught!"
"Well, I'll probably die of AIDS before then"
"Oh yeah, nvm then. Maybe someone should help us with this aids problem"

Other organizations draw attention to other issues, the important ones. And what issue are you talking about btw? Because the pictures in the video are 10 years old. Most of what you saw in the video is not the problem any more. They even said that Kony hasn't been active since 2005. So 7 years after he stopped being active is the "year to act"? That's not stopping a shoplifter, that's letting a shoplifter steal whatever he wants and only go after him once he's been clean for 7 years.
I'll have to congratulate them though. They really did a good job on getting people to pay their stuff. I mean, only 30% actually is used to help africans and even the vast majority of that money is used to help less than a thousand people. Very good job must I say. 8 million donated for that organization does as much good as donation 1 million to any other. They must be living well with so much money in their pockets.

It's completely ******ed for people to care and donate so much to such a stupid cause. 2012 is too late to stop Kony.. he's been inactive for 7 years now. He should have been done decades ago.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 12:26pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@Bryun
and so far over 8 million have been donated to the cause. Do you know how many people you could save with 8 million? It's completely stupid to waste so much money on such a small cause.
This will change the "picture" as much as my example. Sure, he'll look better with hair but he's still dying and nothing is being done to stop the cancer. Kony has been inactive for 7 years now, what are you trying to do exactly? He'll barely cause any trouble now, why is 2012 the year to act?

@Dufftime
I'm not sure if you're joking or if you're just plain stupid. What message are you going to spread if you only manage to capture the guy after 30 years?
"You can form your own gang and kill, rape and pillage. But after 30 years you're going to get caught!"

Other organizations draw attention to other issues, the important ones. And what issue are you talking about btw? Because the pictures in the video are 10 years old. Most of what you saw in the video is not the problem any more. They even said that Kony hasn't been active since 2005. So 7 years after he stopped being active is the "year to act"? That's not stopping a shoplifter, that's letting a shoplifter steal whatever he wants and only go after him once he's been clean for 7 years.
I'll have to congratulate them though. They really did a good job on getting people to pay their stuff. I mean, only 30% actually is used to help africans and even the vast majority of that money is used to help less than a thousand people. Very good job must I say. 8 million donated for that organization does as much good as donation 1 million to any other. They must be living well with so much money in their pockets.

It's completely ******ed for people to care and donate so much to such a stupid cause. 2012 is too late to stop Kony.. he's been inactive for 7 years now. He should have been done decades ago.

SOURCE: http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html

Quoted:

Invisible Children's financial statements are online for everyone to see. Financial statements from the last 5 years, including our 990, are available at www.invisiblechildren.com/financials. The organization spent 80.46% on our programs that further our three-fold mission; 16.24% on administration and management costs; and 3.22% on direct fundraising in Fiscal Year 2011. Invisible Children is independently audited every year and in full compliance with our 501(c)3 nonprofit status.
Below is a screen-shot from pages 35 and 36 of the 2011 Invisible Children annual report that detail our total expenses for Fiscal Year 2011. An expense statement by class is the way nonprofits present their expenses to the public because it's the clearest way to show the purpose of different organizational expenses vs. a line item expense statement such as the one on page 6 of our Audited Financial Report.

Kony's been inactive in UGANDA for 6 years. He moved regions, but he's still abducting, mutilating, and raping children.

DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2012 1:17pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@Dufftime

Welcome back, by the way Canoas, still as ignorant and rude as ever. Good to have you, really, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have someone like you around.

Seeing as you've ignored everything I've said and taken my words completely out of context, it's hard to even take you seriously. You're a joke.

But I'll do my best to patiently reiterate here, since I know you need things in small doses or you won't be able to comprehend what's coming at you.

1) I have never said I support Kony2012, so your random facts and rambles about statistics fall on deaf ears. I even stated specifically I maintain a neutral stance on this group, specifically because of the masses of positive and negative reports and my lack of knowledge and personal experience on the subject tells me it's not wise to comment as if I have an opinion on the matter.

2) It absolutely does make a difference if you catch the guy, even if he dies the very next day. If you're not capable of understanding how or why this makes a difference on your own, I am not naive enough to think I can change your mind or open your eyes to how it makes a difference.

3) You close with more statements about Kony2012 and this organization, and all this shows me is you either simply did not read what I said, or didn't understand it. Either way, it's hilarious that you @dufftime and ramble on about anti Kony2012. Nice reading comprehension there.

4) Kony is a monstrosity. I personally hope they find him those jungles, and lock his sorry *** in jail for 20 years, and then proceed to execute him before he dies of natural causes.

Interesting, I can actually have an opinion on Kony without supporting Kony2012. It's unfortunate you didn't realize that before you made yourself look stupid with your assumptions and aggressive comments that were not based in any real substance whatsoever.

Anyway, it's a joy to have you back at MobaFire, truly.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide