Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 243 of 334
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2014 7:43pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:

These rating systems are so much better than the numerical rating.

I don't know what you're talking about. All of my ratings have been numerical. That's why they're out of ten.

XeresAce wrote:

I think the problem people have with Korra isn't about Korra, more about the fans...

Actually, one of my major problems is with Korra. And I think comparisons to Aang are very apt, because Korra is mostly the stupid and impulsive parts of Aang and none of his sensible, wise, or well meaning parts. And Korra hasn't aged the intended demographic of the show; it's still aimed at twelve year olds, but no longer treats them as intelligent human beings. And Korra's got some very severe pacing issues, dragging through scenes that don't matter and then getting too many things done too quickly to make up for it. All of which is particularly unfortunate, because the animation and fight choreography are incredible, so there's clearly talent that's being wasted on a show that doesn't know how to tell it's own *** from a good story.

I'll probably still keep watching it (and finish season 2 at some point). I just wish it wasn't terrible.

Anyway, back to anime.

Jinsei wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I had some playback issues, though, which stopped me from really getting into the episode in any meaningful way. Still, it's just a sketch comedy show. Solid art and animation, but ultimately inferior to lower-budget offerings from recent seasons (Seitokai Yakuindomo S2, for example). And while they're nothing wrong with it, I feel like it plays it too safe and as a result is too middle-of-the-road in its humor. Plus I don't really sympathize with any of the characters or find them interesting. And with the three-girls-one-guy setup they've got going, and the other girls in the opening sequence, and the clear romance subplot that's being set up, I feel like this could enter harem territory easily but not spend enough time for that to be terribly effective.
Official lifebaka Rating: Genre enthusiasts only / 10

Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei! was awesome. If you enjoyed the first season, this is got all the same things going for it. The transformation sequence juxtoposed with sounds of two characters nearly drowning in a pit of very wet quicksand was great. If you didn't like the first season, you won't like this one either. If you didn't try the first season, it's both playing straight to and making fun of magical girl genre tropes, so if that sounds interesting go back and give it a shot.
Official lifebaka Rating: More of the same (which I'm loving) / 10

Momo Kyun Sword was heavily mediocre. I know I said I'd probably skip it, but I just had to see. And it's nowhere near as terrible as I was worried about! It's merely highly mediocre! It's a trope-y as **** retelling of the Momotaro myth except with substantially more boobs. Still, it wasn't bad, so give it a go if heavy fanservice and not having to think too hard is what you want.
Official lifebaka Rating: Boobs beats Oni / 10
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 11:18am | Report
Can anyone recommend any of the following:

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 11:39am | Report
Joxuu wrote:

Tokyo Ghoul is average. Akame ga Kill! is bad.

They both suffer from the same problem honestly. They're trying to be dark, but handle the dark themes pretty poorly.
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 11:47am | Report
Joxuu wrote:

One of these things is not like the others. It's also the best of the three. It's also probably the least immediately appealing of the three, 'cuz people seem to go for the dark and edgy even when it's terrible. (Which is why we keep seeing dark and edgy things even though they're terrible.)
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 1:01pm | Report
Please don't be so harsh on Akame ga kill!. It's terrible but in a good way ^^
Still have to watch the other two.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 1:09pm | Report
In this case Searz is heavily biased due to the sourcematerial, which alot of people actually liked, which is also why both are rated pretty high :p.

Let's be honest. They do take the dark theme, they do kinda derp with conveying it.
But they also do drift away from generic **** like Rail Wars. And I don't mean the story, but the whole character-design, pacing and especially 'events'.
If we look at an anime/manga like a game, the events that happen in 90% are the same.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 1:51pm | Report
Finished watching episode 2 of tokyo ghoul, no complaints so far.
I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected to! :D
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 2:04pm | Report

Also, episode 44 is out.
Spoiler: Click to view

Yeah no ****.
It might not be the right thing to do, but it's so very justified. Oh the moral dilemma~~~~~~~
I love this series so much ~~~~~~
Quoted:
Akame ga Kill! is friggin' awesome. I didn't read the manga so I wasn't expecting the episode to end like this. After reading the second and third chapters from the manga I think the manga is better so far though. Will probably still watch it.

Say whaaaaaaaaaat?
Did you watch something entirely different to what I read?

The plot is not necessarily bad in concept, but is forced down your throat with big exposition-dumps. The "show don't tell" rule is constantly being broken.
There are a lot of serious themes introduced, but they're all just treated so lightly, brushed off like they weren't all that important anyways. And the characters are mostly a bunch of clichés 10chapters in..
The fighting scenes are all flash, ZERO substance. Pretty much how Fairy Tail does it. Mindless garbage.
I think that describes the series in general: mindless garbage.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 11, 2014 3:31am | Report
^confirmed AgK hater such as I am SAO hater, no point :D
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 11, 2014 5:44pm | Report
Searz wrote:
Say whaaaaaaaaaat?
Did you watch something entirely different to what I read?

The plot is not necessarily bad in concept, but is forced down your throat with big exposition-dumps. The "show don't tell" rule is constantly being broken.
There are a lot of serious themes introduced, but they're all just treated so lightly, brushed off like they weren't all that important anyways. And the characters are mostly a bunch of clichés 10chapters in..
The fighting scenes are all flash, ZERO substance. Pretty much how Fairy Tail does it. Mindless garbage.
I think that describes the series in general: mindless garbage.
Well I've only watched 1 episode and read 2 chapters so far, so I can' say anything about the stereotypes yet. So far I think it's enjoyable though.

I guess you're right about the fighting scenes being mindless garbage, they indeed contain nothing at all.

I'm going to give it a fair try though, I liked the first episode. :D

xIchi wrote:
^confirmed AgK hater such as I am SAO hater, no point :D
Don't worry, I'll even both of you out with my undying fanboyism optimism.

Rail Wars!... I'm not so sure yet. The first episode wasn't all that impressive. Not at all, actually. It wasn't terrible enough. They make it just realistic enough that it just won't do to let one single character be able to defy the laws of physics, and I'm not talking about skirts here. I'm talking about jumping over the heads of 4 people in a train station. They're using the cliches and stereotypes but they're wrongly executed in my opinion. Like they don't strike the essence of a terrible series.

Overall it looks like the series is taking itself a bit too seriously. So far it will not pass for terrible, and that's why it's bad. In a bad way.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide