Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Post Whatever You Want (and Stop Posting ****...

Creator: Mowen October 22, 2013 7:50am
RottedApples
<Inhouse Addict>
RottedApples's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2017 7:14pm | Report
wewlad what is this ****fest.

Signature is from Ninja_Trigger's champion mastery thread!
New and slightly improved version is still up to date >HERE!<
IPodPulse
<Altruistic Artist>
IPodPulse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2017 7:45pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:

That right there is pretty similar to a burden of proof fallacy. You can't just say that because they could disprove it and haven't that it exists; you are making implications.
You find me evidence guaranteeing that climate change is real, and we could talk. But, since I am the bigger man here, lets go. 2014 saw record snowfall, the oceans are rising slower than normal, polar bears are thriving, and nature provides way more CO2 than humans. Evidence Here

Have you checked the article yourself? Some of these are just plain stupid. You can spend 30 minutes and easily debunk every point. 2 of them don't even make sense.
If you found me helpful give me some +Rep :)
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2017 8:03pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:
That right there is pretty similar to a burden of proof fallacy. You can't just say that because they could disprove it and haven't that it exists; you are making implications.
The big majority of serious scientific research points out towards it. Basic chemistry of CO2, coupled with observed values of CO2, global temperature and the lack of other influencing factors point towards it. The status quo is in favour of it being a thing, so the burden of proof lies on the people saying it's not real.

FatelBlade wrote:
2014 saw record snowfall, the oceans are rising slower than normal, polar bears are thriving, and nature provides way more CO2 than humans. Evidence Here

1- Literally says in the NASA article that "The upward trend in the Antarctic, however, is only about a third of the magnitude of the rapid loss of sea ice in the Arctic Ocean.". Conveniently ignored. Also, "While the Antarctic sea ice yearly wintertime maximum extent hit record highs from 2012 to 2014 before returning to average levels in 2015, both the Arctic wintertime maximum and its summer minimum extent have been in a sharp decline for the past decades. Studies show that globally, the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice."

2- Average temperatures around the world are still raising consistently. Then again, the very article they cite explains that "However, the amount of snow does not necessarily correlate with temperature. It simply needs to be near or below freezing for snow to fall. Temperatures that average 1-2 degrees F above normal over the globe can still support snow in many places. Furthermore, slightly warmer than normal temperatures increase atmospheric moisture content, elevating potential snow amounts where they occur.". Again, conveniently ignored.

3- Blatant manipulation of the little information they show. "Cold records" links to an article about Al Gore being wrong (WTF) that only points out the increase in antarctic ice (which has already been covered in point 2), never saying anything about global temperature.

4- Again, going against Al Gore instead of against the scientific consensus. "Many tide gauges show no rise in sea level" only links to a single data point in San Francisco. Not much to add here, it doesn't even deny that the ocean levels are rising.

5- Polar bears thriving is a controversial claim, but even if true it could be explained by diminished hunting (which is a thing that started little time after biodiversity started being thoroughly explored, so a few popular species, like pandas, saw increases while most of them are getting excinct). Not a really good argument when it also comes from a non-average species (they are extremely famous, so lots of unrelated factors come into play). Anyways, not a good data point and doesn't deny the decrease in arctic ice nor temperature.

6- Another particular data point. May I repeat that we're facing a mass extinction? Particular species recovering can be explained by particular conservation efforts, extrapolating it to global warming being or not true is fallacious.

7- "Opposite is true" links to some weird mumbo-jumbo that doesn't seem to link anywhere else. "75 scientists said they believe" link to a closed page. And a single petition signed by a non-significative portion of the scientific community (31 thousand or so is not a lot, it's only double what NASA has, and ONLY NASA). Also I read a bit of the "scientific" article they post in the only useful link, which failed to cite an article for their claim on historic temperatures. I might dive deeper into this later but I don't have THAT much time right now.

8- Nature providing more CO2 than humans just ignores that "nature" also grabs most of that CO2 and takes it out of the system. It's not just piling up. And very unlike "natural" CO2, our emissions do pile up, making them significative. And it's been measured increasing over the last years. That link also includes the data from before measurements were taken, because it's good to remember that it's not part of "a natural cycle".

9- They say some stuff about "using the ground weather station data which is heavily influenced by the Urban Heat Island effect", which is not true in the link I put before, where the following is said: "Temperatures measured on land and at sea for more than a century".

Also, "The myth of no warming since 1998 was based on the satellite record estimates of the temperature of the atmosphere. However, as discussed in the video below by Peter Sinclair, even that argument is no longer accurate. The satellites show warming since 1998 too."

10- Weird ad hominem attack. Not saying much since it proves nothing.

By what I said in your article, most of the links they put there are thought as a way for people to read a title they like, then forget about the content. Because most of the contents actually disprove what they're trying to prove and the rest just say nothing on that topic in particular. Also now you got a bunch of different sources for my claims. We can go academic if you're willing to find a single academic article trying to disprove anthropogenic global warming.
IPodPulse
<Altruistic Artist>
IPodPulse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2017 8:08pm | Report
Gonna also add this as well

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Signature Shop!|Tryndamere Guide|Rengar Guide

Huge thanks to Bryun for this awesome Valentines day signature!

FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2017 10:13pm | Report
IPodPulse wrote:
Gonna also add this as well

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Your own source states this:

That means that over 3% of the scientific community doesn't agree: If climate change is so obvious then why are there so many scientists that don't agree?
Thank you Jovy for this bomb *** sig!
IPodPulse
<Altruistic Artist>
IPodPulse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2017 10:42pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:

Your own source states this:

That means that over 3% of the scientific community doesn't agree: If climate change is so obvious then why are there so many scientists that don't agree?

People will believe what they want, similar to you. This has been seen all over the course of human history, look at the vaccinations cause autism situation going on. A large percentage of doctors will say to get vaccinated, there has been countless evidence to prove that they don't cause autism. Yet you still have people who don't believe it, they claim their kid will be ******ed. These people would rather have a dead child than a mentally disabled one, just because they believe in the SMALLEST possibility that they could be right.

So yeah, you will always have people who disagree with others, but when 97% agree that global warming his happening, you can't try to ignore it. You may as well be Sean Spicer and offer "alternative facts"

Edit: One other thing. That statistic is talking about climate change scientists. If 3% don't believe it's global warming from human activities, then they have to believe something is causing it. You don't become a climate change scientist if you don't believe in it. That means that 100% agree that global warming is happening, it's fine that 3% don't agree with how, they just agree that it's happening.
Signature Shop!|Tryndamere Guide|Rengar Guide

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's Thresh the Chain Warden! Thanks to Utopus for this signature!
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 26, 2017 12:53am | Report
I just want to refer my thread http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/off-topic/lets-discuss-climate-change-40560 where I went EXTENSIVELY to explain climate change and to answer some misconceptions.

Climate change ís happening and we are already working hard to control the damage. To say this isn't the case shows you are very poorly informed. The sealevel is rising every year requiring more money spent on reinforcing the ****s every year (about 4 million for just 1 kilometer of ****), many species are in danger due to our pollution (plastic soup is a great example) and the weather keeps changing to the hottest each year instead of the weather just becoming an average year like always. These issues have a ****ton of other issues attached to it which I described in my thread.

Then to say that climate change isn't caused by humans, there you are just missing a few data. There have been relations set between the carbon dioxide and methane (the two most famous greenhouse gasses) in the atmosphere and the temperature across the globe. Somehow this was a very slow change for thousands of years, but suddenly in the industrial revolution this started to grow exponentially. This is a clear case of pollution. Even IF you were to say that this is not enough proof, you cannot deny the fact that we are polluting a ton of waste and the fact that we take a lot of natural land to cut the trees and take away their ecology. This is also contributing to climate change.

Europe, Australia and some parts of Asia are working incredibly hard to reduce the damage done for years now. They work to reduce the pollution caused by them (plastic cleanup in the ocean is a good example), to reuse waste streams in order to make them resources (recycling and cradle to cradle), to actively protect natural reservoirs, to protect themselves from the harm of nature (the ****s) and many more things.

This is just a TL;DR of the entire thing I posted previously in the thread (the link above). I hope you do look at it and hopefully inform yourself. If not we can bring the discussion there. Then people can post ****py memes in this thread in peace again.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 26, 2017 8:33am | Report

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 26, 2017 8:40am | Report
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if the baiting is for self-pleasure or showoff.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 26, 2017 8:50am | Report
FatelBlade wrote:
If climate change is so obvious then why are there so many scientists that don't agree?
If Trump is such a great president why are there so many people that don't like him?

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide