Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Racism and Sexism

Creator: gwadzila August 20, 2011 10:52pm
29 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 10:52pm | Report
Racism=Fear+Difference.

Racism is generally inevitable. People will always be different than one another, and they will fear/hate each other because of that. The only one to not fear or hate a race is to understand them. The only way to understand a race is to walk in their shoes. The easiest way to do this is to live with or nearby people of a different race. You can see their daily life, relate it to yours, understand them, and you will see there's nothing to fear.

Racist jokes are an example of the formula above. They would be a hell of a lot less funny if you weren't uncomfortable with the other race, and would be downright stupid if no stereotypes existed.

One thing that ties closely to racism is stereotypes. Stereotypes are complete ********. Not only are they generally false, but taken way to seriously. If you take offense from someone that accidentally stereotypes you, you're racist, while they're just ignorant. For example, a white man should be able to give a black man fried chicken without having the black man get mad at him (unless the white guy was picking fried chicken just because it was a stereotype). Who knows, maybe the black guy loves fried chicken but he instantly took offense because he assumed the white guy was stereotyping him. If we can stop taking stereotypes so seriously, we can overcome a large amount of problems with racism.

Yet another big problem arises in people looking so hard for racism, they find it where it isn't. If a white guy says "w***up homeboy" to a black guy, that shouldn't be racist. That's like saying someone speaking a different dialect of German than where they came from is racist. It's not. In fact, it's practically a compliment, because it shows that other races accept their dialect of English. I get that maybe they want to only have this dialect among themselves, but they should just learn to deal with it. If it's popular enough, guess what, it'll spread.

Of course, this is written by a 13 year old white guy that's never truly experienced another culture. I really don't know what other races think about this issue, and I'd like to hear feedback from everyone. As far as truly fixing racism? The only way we can truly accomplish that is to have one race, whether it comes from conquest, races leaving earth, or breeding between different races. Of course, I might be horribly wrong there too. If you say something I didn't mention, I will add it in to this thread and give you credit.

QUICK THING I FORGOT: Racist jokes are an example of the formula above. They would be a hell of a lot less funny if you weren't uncomfortable with the other race, and would be downright stupid if no stereotypes existed.

Sexism

Sexism used to be a lot worse. Women used to be property, and the changes since then have been fantastic. Women now have 99.9% of the same rights as men, and now have a lot more freedom. But there's still sexism if you look for it. Probably the biggest cause of sexism is that men need to feel strong more than women do (OMG GWADZ1LA THAT SO SEXIST I'M A FEMINIST AND I'M OFFENDED), or else they need to express their strength more. This is generally why 99% of sexism is blamed on men (and about 70% of it usually is men). Notice you never see husband beating, always wife beating. This is because the man needs to assert his strength, and to be honest, that isn't sexist. It's f*cking awful, but it isn't sexist.

Then, of course, there's the debate on tits. Men are drawn to them like a magnet to the ******** iron giant. The reason, of course, is primal, and deep down everyone knows that. But that doesn't stop people from taking offense. To be honest, I can side with women here. If a women is making no effort to show off her tits and that's all a man notices, she has the right to be, if not offended, at least pissed off. But, yet again, it isn't sexist. The only true sexism, in my opinion, is denying rights from or dehumanizing the other sex.

The dehumanizing of women is seen too often, (I hope dehumanizing is the right word, it sounds like it at least)especially in today's culture. Women are portrayed and talked about like a resting area for a ****. This is sexist. It's dumb too, but it all comes down to the one simple fact: Men love showing their strength. Whether this is by showing women like they show their pet bunny, beating their wives, or making some horrible sexist joke, it's all because of that one, dumb fact.

inb4 I'm terribly wrong and get raged at

I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on sexism (especially women). Did I get it right? Am I one million miles away from the correct answer? TELL ME. PLEASE. If you say something I didn't mention, I will add it in to this thread and give you credit.

I guess I was kind of annoyed at the state of the world while writing this, and wanted to point out a few things. Most of them are probably obvious, but someone might as well say them.

Edit Credit: B-Wong
Credit to jhoijhoi for this intense battle.
Whenever you +Rep me, a puppy finds a home.
My builds: Gragas Veigar Soraka
My Blog is f*cking important.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 11:00pm | Report
Quoted:
This is because the man needs to assert his strength

Needs to?

/sigh

gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 11:02pm | Report
Please, prove me wrong.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 11:03pm | Report
gwadzila wrote:

Please, prove me wrong.

Why does he NEED to assert his authority. There's no ****ing NEED to beat someone to a pulp.

Makes no sense. I can say hey I need to kick you in the balls to show you that I'm stronger than you, but there's no need to show that I'm stronger in the first place.

gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 11:06pm | Report
Ok, you're right. I didn't take that into account.

I still think that men do love to show their strength, however. It's a sort of alpha male thing built into us.

EDIT: you just proved your intellectual strength to everyone by beating me in an argument. trolololololololjk.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 11:33pm | Report
Quoted:
QUICK THING I FORGOT: Racist jokes are an example of the formula above. They would be a hell of a lot less funny if you weren't uncomfortable with the other race, and would be downright stupid if no stereotypes existed.

You said this part twice.

Also try to avoid arbitrary figures like 99% and the like. It seems harmless, but everyone obviously knows that it's not a true figure and just lends less credibility to your argument. Simply saying "a lot" or "most" instead of using a ridiculously high percentage will make your argument appear more mature.

Most of the stuff you say about racism is more or less true, though I don't think that simply blending the races together is a viable solution. It's pretty common in parts of Africa for the whitest skinned person to be treated the best, even among other members of the same "race." It goes so far that some people actually take to bleaching their skin to appear more white than their black neighbors. Getting rid of the differences isn't the answer; accepting them is.

Your points on sexism are a little vague. I think some of the stuff you talk about isn't really related to sexism as it is to the differences between men and women. Not to say that your points aren't true, I just think that your argument is a little circular. If you're trying to identify sexism, the simplest explanation is this: men and women are not treated as equals. A man beating his wife is no more sexist than a man punching the daylights out of another guy (agree with you on this point).

I think the real problem with male sexism (can't comment on women, I don't have much experience in that area) isn't because males need/want to be dominant, it's because lots of guys are jackasses. When a guy is a real jerk, he's demeaning to more than just women, he gives his entire gender a bad name, and will often treat anyone that isn't his friend with the same disrespect. Just because the male sex is full of jerks doesn't mean that it's due to hormones or genes, it means that person has decided to be selfish and cruel. Girls/women do this too, but usually to each other more than to guys. Often it's a bit more subtle too. Where a man might boast and make an *** of himself in public, girls/women tend to gossip or bully others with words and attitude, which isn't always apparent to spectators.

My point here is this: men can be jerks and women can be cruel, but it's not because they're different, it's because we're all too much alike. Both genders are full of horrible people, but it shouldn't be said that all cruelty between sexes is a result of sexism.

One more note: a woman's role in society has changed a lot over the past few hundred years. This doesn't mean that all men used to be sexist and are getting better, it just means that women do different things today than they used to, and have fought for more rights too. Back when a woman was a man's property, it didn't mean that they were enslaved or treated wrong, it was just the custom. I'm sure the majority of husbands loved their wives and vice versa, without any thought to feminism and the like. I always think it's a bit silly when people (not you specifically) view sexism and feminism to be polar opposites. They are related in some ways, but social change is just that: change. It's not that the past was worse, it was simply different.

/rant

And yes, dehumanizing is a word. ;)
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!
gwadzila
<Member>
gwadzila's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2011 11:41pm | Report
lolya.

I'll edit OP later
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2011 2:13am | Report
gwadzila wrote:

*long-*** wall of text*

/pass
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2011 2:16am | Report
I just want to point out that there's an important distinction between racism and ignorance. Ignorance is simply a lack of understanding of a culture that extends into your words or actions. You make assumptions about a particular person because they are of a certain race. While this isn't really right, it's something that humans naturally do, it can't be avoided, only controlled. To put it simply, don't open your mouth about something you don't actually know about, easier said than done for most people. For the most part, ignorance is harmless unless it is interpreted as racism, which is the wrong reaction. Ignorance is the source of all stereotypes, however that does not mean that stereotypes are "complete ********" as you say. Stereotypes are founded in truth but characterized by exaggeration or lack of context.
Racism occurs when ignorance combines with fear and leads to rage. Racism leads to physical or emotional damage against a person or group of people. People who are the target of racism are intentionally picked on or ostracized. Racism usually arises when a group of people coming from one culture are completely unexposed to other cultures for long periods of time. Thus when exposed to people who live their life in a completely different way, they get confused, or worse, frightened.

Racism is wrong, no two ways about that. However, Ignorance is a part of human nature. Will I be mad if I'm gawked at by Japanese people when I go to Japan? No, I understand that Japan is a rather isolated nation filled to the brim with only Japanese people, so they might get excited to see someone of mixed decent (especially something as weird as black/persian).

And to illustrate stereotypes specifically, look at the comment I just made about Japanese people. I have never been to japan, yet I somehow expect to be gawked at if I were to go there. Why is that? I've based this assumption on things people who HAVE gone there have told me. There could easily be some context I'm missing as to their situation, such as the area they were in, or if they might have had a booger on their face, but yet I've formed this assumption, which in all likelihood is true, but not absolutely. Everyone makes assumptions about other people in their daily lives, it's only racism when they begin to act on these assumptions to victimize others.
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2011 2:17am | Report
Searz wrote:

/pass

you do this a lot don't you?
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide