Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Sweden's prostitution solution

Creator: Searz November 29, 2014 5:07am
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
7950
Joined:
Sep 26th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 9:56am | Report
Searz wrote:
@GMD
How does the laws of the Netherlands differ from those of the US?


Both prostitution and organised activities such as brothels are legal in the Netherlands. Being a prostitute is “just” a job like any other, as far as the law is concerned.

Searz wrote:

I thought that because I remember seeing a photo of him and Mowen (whom I think is American) and the fact that he just wrote "my own country" instead of America. (if your home country hasn't been mentioned yet you might want to define it to avoid confusion, just like you can't go "I like that." without any context, because otherwise people will assume "that" is referring to something mentioned previously)


I figured it was public knowledge that I'm from the Netherlands, hence my comment. The picture of me and Mowen, by the way, was taken during my trip to the United States.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
13418
Joined:
Jun 6th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 10:24am | Report
Both prostitution and organised activities such as brothels are legal in the Netherlands. Being a prostitute is “just” a job like any other, as far as the law is concerned.

And why is this good?
It seems like it would open the door to a lot of problems.
Quoted:
I figured it was public knowledge that I'm from the Netherlands, hence my comment.

Just because something is public does not mean that it is widely known.
Quoted:
The picture of me and Mowen, by the way, was taken during my trip to the United States.

I figured as much after your nationality was pointed out.

GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
7950
Joined:
Sep 26th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 10:54am | Report
Searz wrote:

And why is this good?
It seems like it would open the door to a lot of problems.


I do not see any reason why it wouldn't be good. People are, in my opinion, allowed to provide these kinds of services to others, and aforementioned others are allowed to accept these. People may find it morally wrong to provide it in the first place, and some may find it pathetic to pay for that, but in the end it's a simple transaction during which no one gets hurt, considering neither party is forced, obviously.

If it opens a door to a lot of problems, I really wouldn't know; as in, I cannot compare it to how it was before, because I'm sure that this has been legal in the Netherlands for several hundred years. I also don't really understand what problems you're referring to. In regard of something like human trafficking: It's a lot harder to not attract any attention as everyone needs to be documented. In general, I think it makes it a lot harder for illegal prostitution to flourish as they'd have to compete with others, and being illegal isn't exactly something to advertise with. Although, I have no conclusive evidence for this, just seems logical.

In the end, all I'm saying is that I don't think there's anything wrong with prostitution in general. I agree that it's legal, now people need to stop being so hypocritical about it.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
12983
Joined:
Jan 17th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 10:55am | Report
Searz wrote:
that he just wrote "my own country" instead of America. (if your home country hasn't been mentioned yet you might want to define it to avoid confusion, just like you can't go "I like that." without any context, because otherwise people will assume "that" is referring to something mentioned previously)
I would have thought it was obvious I was joking. lol
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
7950
Joined:
Sep 26th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 10:57am | Report
I would have thought it was obvious I was joking. lol


Oh Lord, not this again.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
12983
Joined:
Jan 17th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 11:06am | Report
Oh Lord, not this again.
I love you too, sweetie.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
13418
Joined:
Jun 6th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 1:04pm | Report
I do not see any reason why it wouldn't be good. People are, in my opinion, allowed to provide these kinds of services to others, and aforementioned others are allowed to accept these. People may find it morally wrong to provide it in the first place, and some may find it pathetic to pay for that, but in the end it's a simple transaction during which no one gets hurt, considering neither party is forced, obviously.

Your point only holds up if both parties willingly partake in the transaction.
I think it is naive to assume that this won't be abused. And so far, nothing I've seen seems to indicate otherwise, but feel free to post studies showing otherwise.
Quoted:
If it opens a door to a lot of problems, I really wouldn't know; as in, I cannot compare it to how it was before, because I'm sure that this has been legal in the Netherlands for several hundred years. I also don't really understand what problems you're referring to.

In the end, all I'm saying is that I don't think there's anything wrong with prostitution in general. I agree that it's legal, now people need to stop being so hypocritical about it.

While it seems we're both inadequately informed in the subject to make definite statements I do believe I have in several places read that there is rampant abuse and misconduct in the prostitution industry, even when legal.
And if we go by what is stated in the article (which cannot be assumed is true, but I found this source confirming parts of the points listed and the others do not seem unlikely) then this is what legalization and/or regulation of prostitution leads to:
  • A dramatic increase in all facets of the sex industry
  • A dramatic increase in the involvement of organized crime in the sex industry
  • A dramatic increase in child prostitution
  • An explosion in the number of foreign women and girls trafficked into the region
  • Indications of an increase in violence against women
So it certainly doesn't seem like a positive influence. It even seems to have a significant negative effect, with for example Sweden having 1/4 of the human trafficking vs that of Denmark despite having a 40% larger population (as stated in the second article).
I would have thought it was obvious I was joking. lol

Oooh, now it make sense. I thought the comment was rather nonsensical.
Also, keep in mind that sarcasm isn't always as obvious when conveyed through text.

GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
7950
Joined:
Sep 26th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 2:12pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Your point only holds up if both parties willingly partake in the transaction.
I think it is naive to assume that this won't be abused. And so far, nothing I've seen seems to indicate otherwise, but feel free to post studies showing otherwise.


I don't know whether it is abused and how that is done exactly. I only know that, by law, it's not prohibited, but that's all I know about it. I have never looked into this particular subject.

Searz wrote:



While it seems we're both inadequately informed in the subject to make definite statements I do believe I have in several places read that there is rampant abuse and misconduct in the prostitution industry, even when legal.
And if we go by what is stated in the article (which cannot be assumed is true, but I found this source confirming parts of the points listed and the others do not seem unlikely) then this is what legalization and/or regulation of prostitution leads to:
  • A dramatic increase in all facets of the sex industry
  • A dramatic increase in the involvement of organized crime in the sex industry
  • A dramatic increase in child prostitution
  • An explosion in the number of foreign women and girls trafficked into the region
  • Indications of an increase in violence against women
So it certainly doesn't seem like a positive influence. It even seems to have a significant negative effect, with for example Sweden having 1/4 of the human trafficking vs that of Denmark despite having a 40% larger population (as stated in the second article).


It doesn't seem like it, but again, I lack sufficient knowledge on the subject to really argue about that. I also think that there's more factors to human trafficking than just prostitution; comparing Germany to Sweden seems odd. The Netherlands is also in a completely different situation than most because it's been legal for so long. Though, I really must stress, I do not have enough knowledge on the subject; will look into it.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
13418
Joined:
Jun 6th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 2:35pm | Report
comparing Germany to Sweden seems odd.

I don't see why that wouldn't be relevant? Size and population obviously matters, but such things can be normalized.
Denmark has compared to Sweden, a neighboring country, 560% more human trafficking per total population. That's a pretty significant difference. Do you like that comparison better?
"I saw [Twilight: Eclipse] in theaters with a girl I was dating at the time. I spent more time staring at my toes and wiggling them than I did watching this abomination. When Edward proposed to Blank Face, I finally looked up with a revelation.
I blurted out loud, in a dead silent theater full of teenage girls on opening night "Wait a minute, Edward has no blood flow. How does he get an erection?" I heard several men laughing, and had several girls turn and stare at me.

I did not get laid that night." - Berengier817
TROLLing1999
<Member>
TROLLing1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1182
Joined:
Apr 3rd, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2014 3:01pm | Report
You can't completely forbid/delegalise prostitution because it is needed to an extent. You gotta control it though anyd avoid certain consequences whether that maybe human trafficking or the transimmion of AIDS.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide