Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Boots of Swiftness when your ahead.

Creator: Adovid July 22, 2011 8:03am
1 2 3
Adovid
<Member>
Adovid's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 8:03am | Report
Ok so I played some games with my friend and realized that if one of us was leading in kills and got boots of swiftness, the one who was ahead with the boots would continue to lead in kills regardless of spending the money on the boots instead of a damage item.

The idea behind it is because if you are ahead in levels and gold you don't necessarily need a better pair of boots early in the game to continue to dominate and the added move speed(especially this early before people get their level 2 boots) makes you more likely to secure kills and enforce map control.

Late game you may find you have to sell them for more utility but early on it definitely does seem to work for keeping a spree going if you get like first blood and continue to lead in kills afterwards.

Getting Boots of Swiftness asap without being ahead in levels seems to be actually a bad idea as you won't be able to go toe to toe with your opponents.

Maybe this is one way boots of swiftness can be used.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 8:12am | Report
It depends on what champ you're playing, but personally I would NEVER upgrade boots early over rushing my first core item, such as Catalyst or B. F. Sword.
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 8:18am | Report
I think he means that his friend bought Boots of Swiftness on top of whatever boots he already had, for the bonus movement speed.
I think this is a horrible idea. The increase from enhanced movement 2 to enhanced movement 3 is marginal and for essentially the same price you could get a zeal, which gives you attack speed and crit chance also...

If that isn't what you mean (I hope it isn't) I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Boots of swiftness is in a lot of builds, it's particularly useful for AD carries who can kite their opponents. It's not the best boot choice, but it does its job.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 8:23am | Report
I don't think so - I think he just upgrades straight to BoS and then sells them for different boots late-game.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 9:55am | Report
Boots of swiftness are almost never a good idea.

Get movespeed quints, they're FAR more helpful.

Additionally, there's some times when upgrading boots first is best, some times when it's not.

For instance, on carries it might be best to upgrade straight to berserker's greaves, or straight to mercury's treads on tanks who need early magic resist.

It honestly depends on the kinds of boots you're getting. Something non-essential, like mercury's treads while laning against an AD champ, should be held off until needed, but something that is useful in lane (I personally adore going straight for berserker's greaves on caitlyn, because it makes her passive so much more potent early) can be bought early on if needed.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 10:19am | Report
Also note that on MOST characters, if you want speed, Ninja Tabi+Nimbleness is faster than Boots of Swiftness. And if you're not running Nimbleness, your character will most likely want either Sorcerer's Shoes or Berserker's Greaves (or Merc Treads, obviously)
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 10:52am | Report

Also note that on MOST characters, if you want speed, Ninja Tabi+Nimbleness is faster than Boots of Swiftness. And if you're not running Nimbleness, your character will most likely want either Sorcerer's Shoes or Berserker's Greaves (or Merc Treads, obviously)

that's kinda ridiculous, I can't think of many champs who would not only buy ninja tabi, but also put 9 points in defense just to get a 5 sec speed boost whenever they dodge something.

Also, movement quints+ boots of swiftness+ zeal = awesome kiting. It's how I build my Ashe, although I end up being assist Ashe more often than not. :/
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2011 12:34pm | Report
Exactly. If you have 9 or more points in defense you're probably a tanky character who wouldn't normally get Zerker's or Sorc Shoes, making Tabi+Nimbleness viable, and more viable than BoS at that.

If you don't have those points, you're more likely to be a carry who would never buy BoS anyway because Sorc/Zerker's/Merc are better.
holysapo
<Member>
holysapo's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 23, 2011 7:15am | Report
I think he means that Champions that start to get fed benifit more from movement speed, then champions that dont. i worrie a bit more when i see a higher lvl champ that i have to use spells to run away from. what do you do when a tryd with boot and a phantom dancer runs at you and hes at 6 and your at 4 because he got fed 1 or 2 kills. i know my example does matter who you are and where you are but it just a example. i am not saying that boots of swiftness will take over or should take over the early to mid game once you get ahead, but i think it the thought that movement speed can influnce the game so much.
Adovid
<Member>
Adovid's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 23, 2011 9:21am | Report
Ok, so for instance we were playing Renekton and Singed as a gainking combo. If one of us got ahead we would buy boots of swiftness asap so we could close the gap for fling or predator(not that it's necessary to have a tag team but it is beneficial), the other who was not ahead would just buy regular boots.

Either way, even when trying to get the kills, the person with the boots of swiftness was more often to grab all the kills.

I also experienced this with Renekton solo top vs 2 champions. I basically went 4-0 vs chogath and mord because I went philo stone boots of swiftness and health pots and was in their face constantly and dodging constantly and if they were vulnerable at all I would kill them before they got back to the tower-- the boots of swiftness and the pots and the philo stone helped me play very aggressively and since I was ahead they were not able to do anything but keep dieing because I was 3 levels ahead of them and they couldn't pushout out at all to leave their lane or their tower without paying for it.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide