Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Countering AP Yi

Creator: desertdweller31 September 22, 2012 10:36am
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 7:38am | Report
Well, and if he doesn't hit Malefic Visions, because he used it before? Also, Malzahar has to safe up Call of the Void, because if he uses it and his ult to early, Master Yi can just Meditate like he pleases.

BTW: I see Master Yi as one of the strongest champs in the new upcoming metagame at tournaments. It is all about pushing and no longer figting, also nearly no cc. This is the thing Master Yi is best at. If you pick as 5. pick vs a non-cc team, the enemy team is totally ****ed.
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Jpikachu1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 7:52am | Report
Malefic Visions is on a really low cooldown and can jump to you from minions. I'm going to be near the minions so it most likely will jump to you some time during suppression.

Except having a non-cc team is pretty much impossible.

Somehow, I don't think your predictions will be true.

If I helped you, click that +rep!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 7:59am | Report
Elementz has explained it. The new teams are formed like this, the only one with hard cc is Alistar. Now, this one cc, Alistar, has now to choose to either block the enemy team with his cc or safe it for Yi. If he waits for Yi, his team gets stomped. If he uses his cc, Yi stomps his team. And that is exactly where Master Yi can get viable.
(unknown embed type)
1:28:20-Master Yi
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 8:22am | Report
Currently can't view videos, but here's something for you.

1) Alistar is banned almost always nowadays. Glad we got that out of the way.

2) Junglers. Supports. Only idiots don't run ones that don't have CC (only exception I can think of is Shyvana, but that's only really run with a CC heavy top and support).

3) If I wanted a hyper carry, I'd play Jax, Fiora, or Tryndamere instead of Master Yi.

4) If we are talking AP Mid Yi, I'd prefer Evelynn instead. More burst, gets a shield, and can run in and out of fight much more easily. She deals way more damage than Master Yi at all stages of the game.

5) How about, next time, instead of relying on the word of a professional, you actually use your brain to think it through. If you thought about what you just said, you would realize that it doesn't make any sense. For example, if Alistar is the only form of CC a team has, who is going to initiate? Even so, if it was really that situation, then Master Yi would be toast going 1v4 while Alistar zones out the rest of his team.

6) In all of ranked, he has about a 40% win rate and is picked 2% of the time. I'd guarantee that his win rate would be lower, but they are slightly skewed due to the lack of times he is picked. Now, I'm going to look at platinum player statistics. He's picked less than 1% of the time, so his win rates are going to be really skewed. He has a 43% win rate at platinum ELO, but consistently has days with less than 30% win rate. In case you didn't follow, those are really bad stats.

7) Let's see, let me think of a team comp that wrecks Master Yi, that is still viable. Malphite top, Amumu jungle, Cassiopeia/ Katarina/ Karthus/ Zyra mid, Ezreal bot, Blitzcrank/ Alistar/ Leona bot. That is still a strong team composition, and it completely wrecks Master Yi and his theoretical "No CC Team" that will apparently be stronger for winning games.

NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 10:11am | Report
You didn't read anything right? The actual meta is all about towerpushing and not teamfighting, why pick for that Amumu, why pick for that Malphite, etc. The best tower pushers are the ones with nearly no cc or only slows as cc. For example: Putting a Rengar top lane, Nunu & Willump support, Ezreal ad-carry, Morgana mid lane and Dr. Mundo jungle. This team has 1 cc which can stop a Master Yi, other teams it would totally wreck(and the towerpushing is amazing aswell). So Master Yi is a situational counterpick for teams like that. But teams like this get more and more often picked. So can be Master Yi more and more often picked.

And actually, this type of game is exactly what all meele ad-carries are best at.
He is gonna kill you!!!
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 10:58am | Report
My team that I picked is nearly impossible to push against. Ez + Blitz or Ali is too much lane pressure, and can easily push waves. Cass auto pushes like there's no tomorrow. Malphite will sit in top lane and farm all day.

Winning teamfights will give you more time to push then trying to push with brute force.

Master Yi would get stomped by that team. Nunu + Ez AS slow, Morgana bind, and Rengar burst. He wouldn't be good trust me. Quite honestly, if you want a ridiculous pushing team use this: Nasus/Singed top, Ez + Nunu bot, Rengar jungle, Cass mid lane.

I read what you wrote, it doesn't make any sense at all. If you were to go play a game with a team comp entirely focused on pushing, you will lose to a team focused on teamfighting. They will slaughter your teammates several at a time, and then push harder than you could push because they had defenders.

What I tried to say and you just ignored me, was that Master Yi is bad compared to other hyper carries. Tryndamere, Jax, and Fiora are all better than he is at doing what you are trying to describe.

The metagame doesn't shift over to something that is countered by the previous metagame. Pushing comps lose to AoE/strong teamfighting comps. Heavy CC comps will wreck pushing comps. There's no reason for the metagame to switch.

NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 1:18pm | Report
Well, competetive play has proven that pushing > teamfighting because more towers taken increase the map control and that wins objectives with ease. Elementz talks exactly about that in the video.
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 3:53pm | Report
Except if your team pushes a lane you can get trapped in a teamfight and then lose multiple towers due to a weaker composition teamfight-wise. In the time you push the whole game, a team can push down 5x faster even if they win only like 3 teamfights.

I dunno, like I said, couldn't watch video before. I'll watch it in a couple minutes then edit this post.

Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 4:13pm | Report

Malz will prob have 100ap or more by then, so

How the hell would he... ? Okay then, if in this hypothetical situation Malzahar is capable of having 100 AP at level 6, so is AP Yi.

Base damage on Alpha Strike at lvl 3: 200
Damage from AP ( 100% AP ratio ): 100
Damage from Ignite at lvl 6: 170

That means Yi will deal 300 damage per Alpha Strike, and even if Malzahar is going 21/9/0 and not 21/0/9, he'll still only have 896 HP at lvl 6. 2 Alpha Strikes = 600 damage, leaving aside magic resist. That would leave Malzahar with approximately 296 HP. From magic resist and health regen it obviously wouldn't be exactly this, but 300 damage on next Alpha Strike + Ignite + Double Strike = approximately 550 damage. Factoring in magic resist, health regen and armor, it still wouldn't minimize enough damage for Malzahar to survive that.
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2012 4:33pm | Report

How the hell would he... ? Okay then, if in this hypothetical situation Malzahar is capable of having 100 AP at level 6, so is AP Yi.

Base damage on Alpha Strike at lvl 3: 200
Damage from AP ( 100% AP ratio ): 100
Damage from Ignite at lvl 6: 170

That means Yi will deal 300 damage per Alpha Strike, and even if Malzahar is going 21/9/0 and not 21/0/9, he'll still only have 896 HP at lvl 6. 2 Alpha Strikes = 600 damage, leaving aside magic resist. That would leave Malzahar with approximately 296 HP. From magic resist and health regen it obviously wouldn't be exactly this, but 300 damage on next Alpha Strike + Ignite + Double Strike = approximately 550 damage. Factoring in magic resist, health regen and armor, it still wouldn't minimize enough damage for Malzahar to survive that.

Yeah, except that Malzahar will do the damage from his combo all at the same time, not over a minute.
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide