Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Gragas toplane

Creator: PNBlack September 23, 2013 10:33am
1 2 3 4
Is it viable?
PNBlack
<Member>
PNBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2013 10:33am | Report
Hello fellow MOBAfire members!

I recently thought to myself, is Gragas viable in top? I've seen Voyboy do it, but that was some time ago.

I would love some reasoning as a simple no doesn't really help me understand why he isn't, as well as a yes wouldn't help me understand if that wasn't explained as well.
Alea iacta est.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2013 10:36am | Report
Yes he's viable, but you need to be good at him. Mid lane is easier for beginners / people who suck at him ( like me ).
PNBlack
<Member>
PNBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2013 10:40am | Report
Talon, I love your honesty! I will of course play him in mid lane to get better at him (I think I am okay at him.)
Alea iacta est.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2013 12:21pm | Report
lol@someone just calling vapora talon

also voyboy tends to play every single champion top/whereeverhewants because hes so skilled at this game

gragas top can work but youll be against a tankier champion meaning you wont be able to chunk your lane opponent as much with your Q, E is still good for escaping ganks and that doesnt change in the top lane at all

also inb4 nicknamemy talks about bruiser triforce gragas
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2013 12:45pm | Report
It would be viable if AD-ratio of Body Slam wouldn't disappear if you hit multiple targets, because you gain high defensive and offensive values through Drunken Rage. But atm his Body Slam is bugged anyway, as it sometimes goes through targets, sometimes stucks in them.
He is gonna kill you!!!
FireGrass
<Member>
FireGrass's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2013 1:20pm | Report
Stanley used to run it in GPL matches, but then again TPA could pretty much do whatever they wanted in the GPL back then...

Your friendly neighborhood Nidalee main!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2013 6:22am | Report
Will probably play it some time in an inhouse/normal and see for myself (just like I want to test Diana, Karma, Shyvana, Skarner & Volibear), have heard it's viable though.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2013 10:06am | Report
Very viable, best as AP but works well as a bruiser too.

Gameplay changes a bit due to opponents being tankier and the lane a lot longer. You gotta save E for escaping ganks if you don't have enough vision, and should only use offensively for an all-in and if you know you'll most likely get the kill. Using it to harass or farm can cause you to take enough poke that it doesn't matter it came back up.

Experiment with teleport. Let dudes know you plan on teleporting in. Go in, pop barrels and knock people around, win games. Fatman isn't the best at it, but it sure is fun teleporting on a cannon minion, slamming people into a turret and headbutting everybody in a Homeguard.

As a bruiser, spam E for the slow and gap-closing. As NicknameMy said, it's kinda bugged, so beware, most of the time you'll be fine, so don't worry much. Try to use it on a single person most of the time, because if you hit like 3 people they take nearly no damage, just the slow.
Harass like crazy. With everything you've got. You'll be tanky and do damage with W, so abuse it. Play as if there were 5 cheerleaders chanting for you: be aggressive, be be, aggressive.

TL;DR: if you can play him mid and win lane constantly, you can play him top.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2013 12:43am | Report
Just wanted to get back to this thread and say I have tried him by now. So far (note: I'm talking about only two games that I've played him in top lane) I'm pretty impressed by his early damage, especially when you hit level 2 or 6 before your opponent does. I like building 1 or 2 Doran's Rings for a bit of extra early game power before transitioning into bigger late game items, seems to be working out well. He can be hard to play in teamfights though >.<

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2013 2:20am | Report
Gragas has very high burst damage and if you hit the ultimate, it is sure, that at least 1 if not 2 targets die. I think this video shows that perfect:
He is gonna kill you!!!
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide