Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Gragas toplane

Creator: PNBlack September 23, 2013 10:33am
Is it viable?
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2013 2:47pm | Report

Proof that it's viable, /thread

hue

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2013 5:26pm | Report
Abyssal + chalice against that team?

And if you play him full AP instead of bruiser I wouldn't get one of these two items anyway.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2013 1:31am | Report
Way to take a post waaaay too seriously bud :P

I'd defend my build if it weren't my third time Gragas top to begin with (though I don't think any of the items are bad on him) :3

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2013 8:47am | Report
Darcurse wrote:

Abyssal + chalice against that team?

And if you play him full AP instead of bruiser I wouldn't get one of these two items anyway.

Not a bad build at all. Abyssal Mask gives damage, magic reduction that greatly helps out 3 other members of the team and magic resistance to avoid getting chunked down by the other Gragas. Athene's Unholy Grail is there probably because of an early Chalice of Harmony, much appreciated due to spammage of barells, so it is a bit overkill on the MR side, but definitely a good purchase for the mana regen and CDR.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2013 8:58am | Report
I would get both as Bruiser Grag against a fitting enemy, but as full AP ?

Well the chalice is kinda a matter of opinion, I for example like bruiser and directly max Drunken Rage after the Barrel + 1,2 early Doran's is more than enough Mana.

But tell me how often you charge into the enemy as full AP Grag to actually make Abyssal count.
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2013 9:10am | Report
Darcurse wrote:
But tell me how often you charge into the enemy as full AP Grag to actually make Abyssal count.

I try to do it as much as possible. You don't have to be in the enemie's face for it to work either, you could just play a little more recklessly and save E to disengage or use it to engage when outnumbering.
You can do it even more after you get Zhonya's Hourglass. Also, when you ulti people into your team, Abyssal Mask gets your Q+E to get people QQing, not to mention anybody else with magic damage (as seen in Wayne's game).

Anyways, I'll grant you that's not optimal as full AP, but I've used it a lot as well. I like running it with Lich Bane when I'm super fed sometimes. Again, not optimal at all since you're squishy, but you can make it work if you know how. Mostly as cleanup after insane poke.

He got everything that matters in Sorcerer's Shoes, Rabadon's Deathcap, Void Staff and Zhonya's Hourglass for huge burst and defensive needs. Anything else is a matter of what is needed at the time. Only thing I'd probably change is swap the grail for a Morellonomicon but either way is fine.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2013 9:17am | Report
That and switch Abyssal for sth like Twin Shadows or DFG.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2013 3:09am | Report
The good side of bruiser Gragas: Absolutely no mana issue. If you max W first and E second, well, where should be high mana costs? W gives everything back you use for E.

But then again, Riot needs to fix all the ******* E bugs and make it fitting the current game, means no damage split. Because, the damage even without the damage split isn't really that high. In fact, lower base damage than Q.

Here is a video showing the Bodyslam bug. Look at the point a few seconds before end, you will see that I dash through a minion with it.

http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/3551145/
He is gonna kill you!!!
drakon136
<Member>
drakon136's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2013 7:36pm | Report
Doesn't bruiser Gragas still max Q second? All that scales up with E is the damage, while Q gets damage and attack speed slow.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 20, 2013 4:45am | Report
Not AD Bruiser, in my terms anyway.

AP + HP/Def and a good chunk of CDR.

Buying stuff like Double Doran's, Liandry's, maybe RoA.
Stuff that up's your HP to maximise the effect of your passive and W.
+Some Armor/MR on the side.

I'd even tend to go for a SV if the enemy team comp would require it.
Could replace a Grail, you'll miss some dmg but get a lot tankier with increased self-heal.

But that's entirely depending on the situation, normally I go for dmg + a chunk of HP, seems to work best for me if you wanna play aggressive.

And I'd never max E first, if the enemy isn't a total numbskull he simply places himself besides some minions and you're screwed.
You can max E if you go full AP and simply need a finisher, while you don't need Mana/tankiness from your W.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide