Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ninja v Mercury on Ram

Creator: TRoosevelt December 9, 2011 3:40am
1 2 3
TRoosevelt
<Member>
TRoosevelt's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 3:40am | Report
I'm wondering about the effectiveness of Ninja Tabi and Negatron cloak v Mercury Treads on Jungle Rammus. Four of the five top Rammus guides here on Mobafire recommend Mercury Treads on Rammus but gathering the 850, especially constantly buying wards, seems like a serious expense early game for limited payoff. I've been experimenting with buying Ninja Tabi and a Negatron cloak instead and I'm looking for some feedback.

Breakdown:
Okay, so I'm presuming Jungle Ram starts with Cloth Armor and 5 health pots and immediately tries to acquire a Philo Stone, regular boots, and HoG. At that point,

Getting Mercury Treads costs 850 and I get 25 MR and 35 Tenacity
Getting Ninja Tabi and a Negatron Cloak costs 940 and I get +7 armor, 48 MR, and Dodge (which is a wash, since it hurts my jungle.

So for about 100 extra gold I get 7AR and 23MR over the Merc Treads and lose +35 tenacity.

The armor is pretty minimal but 23 MR early game is significant. Why is the tenacity considered critical on a tank? I see it's value to squishier heroes but every disable dropped on Ram is one less disable for my teammates.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 6:12am | Report
Honestly, it depends.
Because you do have a speed steroid, I would hold off on tier 2 boots for a bit. If their AD carry is wrecking house, it's probably worth it to invest in the dodge from Ninja Tabi and turning the philo stone into Eleisa's Miracle. Otherwise, Mercury's Treads is your item. Tenacity is one of the best stats honestly.
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 6:32am | Report
u don't do either, u wait for later to get boots. I usually go cloth+1 pot+ward, then i get philly stone for mana so i can give blue to ap mid. HoG is also an awesome item which i almost allways acquire. Some ppl swear by a thornmail/sunfirecape i don't get either.
Warmogs is THE core item for rammus.
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 7:10am | Report
Warmogs CORE on Rammus...?

You should try to read more guids and even if they arent perfect, try to consider the opinion of those guys.

Warmos is NEVER core on any FULL tank champ like Ram/Amu/Malph... etcetcetc (Shen maybe but thats only since he utilizes HP as dmg output, but thats a so-so)
You need some HP ofc, but you have to get it alongside primary tank stats.
If you think you can skip that first thx to your def ball youre deadly wrong.

BTT:
Tabis is only secondary choice. Merc first and Tabis if the enemy is unblanced favoring AD and has low CC capabilities.
That shouldnt happen in ranked, though.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 8:02am | Report
Warmogg's is always core on any full tank champion...

That is if you want to be a good tank with good stats.

Either tabi or merc will be fine, evaluate the strength of the opposition's right clickers (Vayne, Kog, Tryn) and decide what you'll be needing.

Another cool item for Rammus that is not often purchased is Rylai's.
MajorLoL
<Member>
MajorLoL's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 12:16pm | Report
TBH,I like getting Ninja Tabi earlier(Because i jungle and its easy 550,because early game you can use the speed and extra armor quite nicely.The thing is I never keep it.Thats because Tenacity is more important,and Eliesa's Miracle is a waste of a possible tank item IMO.The dodge isnt that important on Rammus,and the armor is pretty puny.
Thanks to Rys Aberdeen, Jhoijhoi, The_Nameless_Bard, Arcana3, and Miss Maw for the sigs!

Remember to +Rep me if I helped you out!
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 12:31pm | Report
@Dufftime
Yeah yeah, I know "Warmogs for everyone" in your opinion... nothing against it since Warmogs IS a good item and HP is a stat everyone needs some of, and getting Atmog's on off-tanks/dps is great too since you dont have the luxury to drop 2-3 dmg items to get a suitable amount of mr/armor.

But while you struggle to get your Warmogs every brutalizer/sorc's boots user will blast your iniating arse right into oblivion.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 12:36pm | Report
*Shrug.

Dodge is important on all tanks.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 9, 2011 12:38pm | Report
Darcurse wrote:

But while you struggle to get your Warmogs every brutalizer/sorc's boots user will blast your iniating arse right into oblivion.

Ohhhh okay, thanks for bringin' me up to speed~ I had nooo idea that those items were so powerful.

Or I could just invest 300 gold of a cloth armor and negate the entire armor pen aspect of your bruta, or 400 on MR and negate the Mpen from Sorc boots.

*Scoff
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2011 3:52pm | Report
And that AD carry/caster will still hit/crit your squishy face.
While you spent another 300-400g to counter not even the full Pen of one part of the enemy dmg you'll actually only prolong that Warmogs unnecassarily even further.

But thx for keeping up "Warmogs is THAT thing on everyone", while its obiviously not the case, I'm deeply grateful for your self-sacrificing act.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide