Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Spellthief's -> Frostfang upgrade: Worth?

Creator: utopus September 22, 2014 9:20am
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 1:29pm | Report
because you use Eye of the Storm on yourself and then hit them really hard with a few autos...it's fun.

also that list is missing Karma.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 1:36pm | Report
I don't ever buy Claim; there's better sources of CDR. I do, almost always, upgrade Spellthief's Edge (ASAP) to Frostfang as it almost doubles the gold income whilst increasing your damage output.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 1:46pm | Report
If for no other reason then because Ancient Coin is a bad item? Spellthief's on Janna is good, much better than AC anyway. And I too always upgrade ST to FF on my first back. It doesn't sacrifice much vision I don't think.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 1:53pm | Report
Is the slowing active from Claim simply not that good? I mean, I've used it decently well enough so surely there's some benefit, right?
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 1:59pm | Report
Lugignaf wrote:
Is the slowing active from Claim simply not that good? I mean, I've used it decently well enough so surely there's some benefit, right?

Well, it was kind of good as a CDR item, but now Mikael's grants CDR as well so you might as well rush that.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 1:59pm | Report
The stats (particularly CD) are ok, and I think it's good that it's AoE, but the damage and duration aren't anything special. Can help in chases and escapes, but so can Talisman, and it's kind of much better mid-late game I think. Also the projective is a little too slow, imo.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 2:05pm | Report
Quoted:
The stats (particularly CD) are ok, and I think it's good that it's AoE, but the damage and duration aren't anything special. Can help in chases and escapes, but so can Talisman, and it's kind of much better mid-late game I think. Also the projective is a little too slow, imo.

Yeah, even after all the changes, the active is still fairly underwhelming.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 2:06pm | Report
I don't ever buy Claim; there's better sources of CDR. I do, almost always, upgrade Spellthief's Edge (ASAP) to Frostfang as it almost doubles the gold income whilst increasing your damage output.

But by how much does it really increase your damage output, and is the extra income generation really worth it? You're taking the most gold starved role in the game, and investing 500 gold to get at best a 70% increase in gold generation (max 7GP10 w. Spellthief's Edge vs 12GP10 max w. Frostfang), +50% increased tribute damage (10->15), +3mp5, and +5 AP. Wouldn't that gold be better spent on something like a faster Sightstone for increased safety from ganks, a Mobility Boots for greater roaming power, or money spent towards your first utility item?
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 2:17pm | Report
utopus wrote:

But by how much does it really increase your damage output, and is the extra income generation really worth it? You're taking the most gold starved role in the game, and investing 500 gold to get at best a 70% increase in gold generation (max 7GP10 w. Spellthief's Edge vs 12GP10 max w. Frostfang), +50% increased tribute damage (10->15), +3mp5, and +5 AP. Wouldn't that gold be better spent on something like a faster Sightstone for increased safety from ganks, a Mobility Boots for greater roaming power, or money spent towards your first utility item?

The only spellthief support I really play would be Vel'Koz, and I feel that opening with damage and mana regeneration is better as it allows you to establish lane control. Sightstone is good to rush, no doubt, however I feel that it's not really that necessary.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2014 2:30pm | Report
If I have 800 gold after first recall, I usually check which jungler the enemy has.
If the enemy has something like Lee Sin or mobile jungler with bottom able to set
up a good gank --> I go for Sightstone because I will most likely need the wards.
This is the case in most of the games.

However if I have exactly just enough gold for Sightstone, enemy jungler is less
likely going to gank bot lane and I wouldn't have money for anything else (like potions),
I go for Spellthief's Edge, get few potions, pink and wards.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide