Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The most fabulous Taric rework

Creator: NicknameMy December 13, 2014 6:15am
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 9:23pm | Report
It doesn't really matter if it "disables his sustain for a long time" if it instantly removes CC.

Especially because there's only 2 other abilities in the game that remove CC. Remove Scurvy and Unbreakable Will. One of which is an ult, the other of which has a small heal attached to it. The important thing to note about both of these is that neither of them are able to be used on allies.

Removing CC from an ally is extremely powerful. That's why there's only one item that does it, and it builds out of a mana regen item so it's less than attractive on every champion.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 9:27pm | Report
That is why a specific champion has the ability which has to screw himself up to use it. And don't forget, you basically can only use it once in a fight and then you only have a short time of your other abilities left. If you are out of mana, you are basically 100% useless.
He is gonna kill you!!!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 9:40pm | Report
Mikael's Blessing and Athene's Unholy Grail are both items that he can buy.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 9:59pm | Report
Taric has the ****tiest base mana regen of all supports and the items got nerfed as well. Also, don't forget the cost of his ultimate increases the longer he uses it.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 10:02pm | Report
Both of them give a percent of your missing mana back every few seconds.

Grail recovers a chunk of your max mana on assists.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 10:09pm | Report
But you don't want to buy both items as the passive does not stack. And considering how bad the AP ratios of Taric are, Athene's Unholy Grail makes not much sense, so you will go with Mikael's Blessing. And then, they only really kick in under the 40% mark, while you have to use your other abilities as well.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 10:26pm | Report
40% of maximum mana.
40%.
That is completely outrageous.
Rereading:
If you have an ability more powerful than an ultimate, you make it an ultimate. You don't give it a mana cost of 1000.

Basically MOBAFire.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 13, 2014 11:18pm | Report

Rereading:
If you have an ability more powerful than an ultimate, you make it an ultimate. You don't give it a mana cost of 1000.

****ing thank you
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2014 1:05am | Report
This is a very critical analysis of the kit. there are a lot of issues within the kit as a whole, and I want to help you fix them. Treat it as tough love.

I'll go through everything wrong with this kit.

General: First and foremost, his kit feels like the lovechild of a random *** support and a random *** jungler. Like the current Taric, there really is no clear identity with him. I get that you're trying to preserve the support aspect of him, but right now, he feels like a bruiser jungler with a heal, which won't work because his clear times will be absolute **** with his current damage. The kit doesn't synergise well. I get that you can jump in an then use W or something, but that combo itself is very linear and isn't something interesting to use. The other big issue is how much free gold he gives his team. The issue with auras is that they give a huge advantage to a team for very little satisfaction. This is the exact reason why Sona was reworked. His ult alone gives 12,157.5g worth of stats for free.

Passive: The same as the current one, which means it is a bit tacky on his kit, but it really is the least of his worries.

Q: Ridiculous. I'd go as far to say it is broken in the sense that the ability flat out doesn't work. 40% of your mana. 40% of your mana is League of Legends beta balancing. Huge mana costs are archaic, outdated and should not be brought back. And not to mention that it is a cleanse as well, increasing to how ridicuolous this ability is. This is once again an example of free stats. You get a Mikael's Blessing active for free. Needs serious work.

W: A 1 second AoE stun is really good. Perhaps a little too good, especially considering he has a taunt as well. That's a lot of hard CC in an AoE. But considering how his overall damage is very low, I guess it does help him carve out a niche with CC. I also do quite like the decision making to do with this ability, albeit that it doesn't really have too many negative benefits if you choose one or the other. It's definitely the right idea though. The main issue though, once again, is the amount of free stats he is getting for doing absolutely nothing. It's way too good, and it isn't like these free stats are rewarding to use in the slightest. Also, the double damage to monsters. That isn't the way to make someone be able to play a role you want. It's as if you're saying that this guy doesn't have a kit for jungling, so lets tack on something here so he can jungle if he wants to. Adds to the messiness of the kit.

E: I mean, the ability works, but not on Taric. Thematically, I guess this ability works, but it doesn't work in his kit. It, once again, feels tacked on. What you may not have noticed is that no support has mobility that is this versatile. All leaps on supports are conditional. Having one so freely usable may have some unforeseeable outcomes. I already can see it carving out a position in a solo laner, allowing for safety from jungle ganks. This ability just feels really out of place.

Ultimate: Free stats. Way too many free stats. I've already told you that this ability gives over 12,000 gold worth of stats for free. That is ridiculous. The ability itself is also just fundamentally broken.

~A lesson in champion design~
In every champion that is designed, there needs to be a way to play against them. Whether it is knowing the enemy's cooldown and using that as the opportunity to strike, or simply just dodging skillshots, there needs to be a way to skilfully outmaneuver your opponent. The ultimate just completely throws all that out the window. First of all, it's a toggle ability. He can keep it for as long as he wants to as long as he has mana to use it. This means there is no clear opportunity to fight because he can use the buff on demand whenever he wants to. There's no way to deal with it. The other issue is the damage portion. The only way to deal with the damage portion is to not be near him. Running from someone is not counterplay. It's a sign that you have a badly designed champion.

~A second lesson in champion design~
When designing any champion, there is a number, 1. This number is equivalent to the power level of the champion. Ideally, all champions will have a power level that is equal to 1. When designing a champion, you try to get the power level as close to 1 as possible. There is another number, X. X represents the amount of fun you get from a champion. X is to be as high as possible. The ultimate just throws all this out of the window, once again. There is no concern for the power level of the ultimate, nor the amount of fun you'll get out of the ultimate. You just want an ability that will fill the slot. A toggle ability where you there is no extra interaction with it fails as an ability. You do not change your playstyle at all with this ability. This ability could be on the whole time, and you will still play exactly the same. Not to mention how little interaction you actually have with this ability.

The ultimate is just a complete failure. It's harsh words, but the ultimate is broken.

Please do consider reworking his kit. Read up on some of the game design insights and the Q&As that are around to help give you a better grasp of game design. I'm sure you are capable of creating an excellent rework for Taric that both fixes his core problems and also is incredibly fun to play. Be creative, step out of the box with your ideas. If the ability you have has been done in the game before, then try your hardest to think of something else.

To help get you started, here's a Q&A done by Meddler, lead champion designer. I've read through this, and it helps a lot with giving some insights into designing a champion.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
Out Of Pancakes
<Inhouse Addict>
Out Of Pancakes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2014 2:30am | Report
AoE stun and a jump that taunts? Really?

And I don't like the idea of getting an aura after using your version of Shatter nor the "toogled" ultimate: if you give it a CD before you can toogle it again, just make it a normal spell that has a duration or something like Maokai's ultimate.

40% of his maximum mana is crazy, really.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide