Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Top-Lane Warwick; Optimum Item Build Paths?

Creator: ZeUnit August 26, 2014 6:08pm
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2014 2:41am | Report
Mooninites wrote:
You can't build 7 items nicknamemy

You can, cuz Trinkets are items as well :D

Just take out the Spirit Visage then, you got enough MR and HP anyway with the other items. You loose the strong passive, but who cares? Your Hungering Strike, Eternal Thirst and Infinite Duress do true damage and heal you through that way more. (Okay, not Eternal Thirst, but you get what I mean). Also Thornmail, Liandry's Torment, Sunfire Aegis and Wit's End do true damage.
ZeUnit
<Member>
ZeUnit's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2014 7:14am | Report
Also, WW has always been average in the past, and I guess he might be strong'ish as a top laner with the TP meta, at least in solo queue. His late-game is really strong.

I would have thought more people knew, but Warwick is actually very strong in the current meta, since a lot of nerfs to other abilities and items have pushed his move-set ahead and the items he tends to build are more favored;

There have been a lot of nerfs to attack speed items and this is the reason that Trist and Kog have suddenly become strong picks. The fact that Warwick can give his team a 40% AS buff makes him such a good pick especially with a couple of synergistic champions.

Also the change to BotRK, with the reduce in AS but the increase in the %damage on the passive actually works in Warwicks favour since his ult still hits with the same speed so the BotRK passive is just better for him, and the reduced AS speed doesn't matter due to his W.

Warwick is pretty poor pre 6, and lane bullies were a problem for him. However the recent nerfs to Jax and Renekton and the like have pushed those guys out of the top lane meta and they see rare picks, and coupled with the Riven nerfs help him survive pre 6 more.

In the current top lane meta where teleport is all the rage, Warwick stands out from other teleport users by the fact that he provides a guaranteed kill every teleport gank via his ult, where other top laners don't have an 100% guaranteed kill.

Although it was a minor buff, the increase in Wit's End attack speed was pretty solid, which is good since it is a core item for Warwick.

Whilst being an average pick in the past, he is, in my opinion and many others, very strong in the current meta.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2014 7:18am | Report
Just the problem is if you run into Nidalee, Gnar, Teemo and such things. They are just a pain to deal with.
Vorcia
<Member>
Vorcia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2014 9:15am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:
You really don't need to get more CDR on WW, he is good enough without it. And look at the magic damage that this build does.

No he's not, Hunters Call is literally Warwick's best skill, it gives his team something like 8000 or 9000 gold of stats, you need CDR to keep to up constantly. Also, CDR translates into more ganks with Infinite Duress and more survivability with his Q. Liandry's Torment is also a really, really bad item. I'd only build it on Rumble, Teemo, Brand, Cassiopeia, and maybe a couple others.

Sorcerer's Shoes aren't bad if you're ahead, but for a tank, there's no better boots than Ninja Tabi.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2014 11:19am | Report
Vorcia wrote:

No he's not, Hunters Call is literally Warwick's best skill, it gives his team something like 8000 or 9000 gold of stats, you need CDR to keep to up constantly.

It does not give 8k/9k gold worth of stats, not even remotely close, math inc

Also it's not his best skill, a lot of Warwick's max his W last in both top lane and jungle. You'd probably max it last in top lane, maybe 2nd in jungle.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2014 11:25am | Report
450/15 = 30

so 1% = 30g

80*30 = 2 400g

2 400g*5 = 12 000g

therefore it is worth quite much

I think I calculated it the right way
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2014 11:53am | Report
Janitsu wrote:
450/15 = 30

so 1% = 30g

80*30 = 2 400g

2 400g*5 = 12 000g

therefore it is worth quite much

I think I calculated it the right way

that would be if his teammates all got 80% attack speed, which they don't they would get 40%. But that would also be a flawed number because not everyone can benefit equally from attack speed. Being fairly generous here in assuming that 3 members adequately benefit from Attack Speed (Top lane WW, jungle, and ADC - only baring the mid lane and support from seeing any benefit) that would be 4,800 gold worth of stats, based on your math. I personally think that number is even further diminished because I don't really think WW scales that well with attack speed in lane, at least in a practical sense (because you're not likely going to be able to sit there and auto someone for 10 seconds) and most meta junglers don't scale incredibly well off attack speed either. I'm not saying it's a bad stat, it's still pretty good on Elise, Lee Sin, Kha'Zix, etc; but it's not like everyone can use it effectively.

Even with the standard 9/21/0 build with standard flat AD runes (which were recommended above) and 2 attack speed items, Blade of the Ruined King and Wit's End WW only gains 0.54 attack speed at level 18 with a rank 5 Hunters Call.

in regards to max CDR, if you simply want CDR mainly for his W steroid there is no reason you should go over 35% CDR. At 35% WW's W cooldown is 10.4 seconds which is virtually equal to the duration of Hunters Call lasting 10 seconds.

free stats are free stats, but the reality is not everyone can use stats effectively so the idea of X buff gives X gold worth of stats is pretty skewed
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2014 5:44pm | Report
Vorcia wrote:
I actually played quite a bit of Warwick in the past. I strongly advise NOT building a Blade of the Ruined King. Warwick gets more than enough attack speed from Hunters Call and Wit's End. He doesn't need to build lifesteal either, while the healing is nice, he already has tons of innate sustain and doesn't build much AD to make lifesteal worth it.

40% Attack Speed is core on WW, I usually reach it with Frozen Heart, Spirit Visage and one other CDR item, such as Locket of the Iron Solari or very rarely, Iceborn Gauntlet. You need to for all your skills, and most importantly, to keep up Hunters Call.

The only real core items on warwick are
Wit's End and Sunfire Aegis combo. Combined together, they'll do a lot of damage, during your Infinite Duress.

For boots, I go Ninja Tabi every game, its just the best set of boots for a tank, especially WW who doesn't really care about getting CC'd since any hard CC will cancel his ult anyways.

Thornmail and Guardian Angel give you a lot more effective HP, and Frozen Mallet gives you sticking power without your Blood Scent being triggered.

Randuin's Omen is good too since you'll be ulting in the middle of their team, you can get a massive slow off, especially if you choose to build a Frozen Heart (you really should be building it just about every game though).

Abyssal Mask gives you a lot more damage with some extra MR if you need it.

That's about all I could think of for good items to build on WW. Of course, Blade of the Ruined King if you're really fed, but I really dislike building this item.

You think Abyssal Scepter is stronger than BotRK?
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2014 7:40pm | Report
TheKut wrote:
Mooninites just shat on your entire post.

im pretty sure he just ***** on his own posts whenever he makes them
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Vorcia
<Member>
Vorcia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2014 9:50am | Report

You think Abyssal Scepter is stronger than BotRK?

As individual items, no, but with WW and his build, yes.
Abyssal just has so much synergy with his abilities, Wit's End, and Sunfire Aegis. Also, the gold difference between the items is massive for a slow pushing tank like WW, and he is a tank first and foremost so I'd rather build tankier items on him. Keep in mind though that if you get fed enough to afford a BotRK relatively quickly, its probably worth building.

Mooninites wrote:

It does not give 8k/9k gold worth of stats, not even remotely close, math inc

My bad, was using old math from when Dagger was 400g. Its still worth >7k in gold. Regardless of who gets the bonus, its a very significant amount of bonus stats that will definitely make a huge difference in teamfights.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide