Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Warding, Aegies and the Support Role

Creator: Canoas June 25, 2011 1:46pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 10:51am | Report
Canoas wrote:

Mathematics is not in terms of absolutes. That's completely wrong.

I don't know and I don't care. I was just agreeing to that your analogy was bad.
Just to let you know :P

Oh and isn't that going off topic in your own thread now?
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 11:26am | Report
Searz wrote:

I don't know and I don't care. I was just agreeing to that your analogy was bad.
Just to let you know :P

Oh and isn't that going off topic in your own thread now?

Well, if you take into account my grammar mistake then the sentence made no sense whatsoever. If you correct the simple mistake then it makes perfect sense. Experience > Theory. If you prove it in theory but it doesn't apply in the real world then it's the theory that is wrong, not the other way around.

Also, I honestly don't believe that dedicating a third of a post to a separate discussion is considered going off-topic. The rest, and majority, of my reply were about aegis and the support role.

@Mowen
Yeah, I think I can get the aegis by the 25 min mark with my Janna build, so I'll probably keep it.

On a side note, I am considering on adding a kage pick as a situational item in case I do very well early game and get lots of gold from dragon/assists. I'm not really sure if it's better than finishing the aegis earlier though, I think that the latter is more helpful to the team.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 12:20pm | Report
If you can prove something in theory then it's been proven. There's no need to discuss it. Most things can't be proven though.
Things like which items that provide the highest DPS are things that can be proven in theory. Things like if Aegis is a core item on the other hand can't be proven in theory.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 2:01pm | Report
Is the worth/effectiveness of an item in LoL determined by its stats or the fact that people actually want to buy it? Just because an item is "good" or is "cost effective" doesn't mean people will spend gold on it. I feel it is partly due to situation as well as play style.

I very rarely see an aegis of the legion on anyone anymore. No tanks I've played with recently get it, they are too busy building a FoN/Sunfire/Banshee's Veil etc. And support champs Tend to stack Doran's Rings while grabbing CDR boots/Will of Ancients/maybe a GP5 item or 2....

Aegis is just one of those niche items, it works well for mid game and then loses its benefit. If you spend 2k gold on Aegis 15minutes in and for some reason your game is still laning at 30min you basically just wasted your gold. Why? NO mid game team fights. The aura is beneficial when you're going into the early mid game not when people have farmed till their eyeballs popped out and we're basically at end game.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 2:12pm | Report
In 19something it was proven that electrons were particles, and that guy won a nobel prize. Decades later it was proven that electrons were actually waves, and the guy who proved it, the first one's son, won the nobel prize. Then Einstein came along and once again proved that they were neither waves nor particles, but both.

You can prove things in theory, but it doesn't mean it's right. When it was proven that the electron was a particle then everyone was fine with it. Until it was observed that the electron could be in two different places at the same time, impossible for a particle but common for a wave. It was proven in theory, but in the real world it simply did not apply.

So yeah, you can prove something in theory and it may still be wrong.
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 2:17pm | Report
Luckily items in League of Legends aren't that complicated.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 2:20pm | Report
Yea, exactly. It's pretty easy to prove something like the highest DPS and the highest EHP in comparison to that..
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
Trophycase
<Editor>
Trophycase's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 2:24pm | Report
It is very difficult to tell from these games. Both Janna and Sona, who were the main supports played, benefit from CDR quite a large amount, since spell spamming is really what makes them useful.

I know I watch competitive HoN and their metagame generally consists of 2 supports who are the "ward *****es" where sometimes they will end the game with only 1 item and boots or something.

So if you are planning on continually buying wards (when I play Taric, I usually refill to 5 wards every time I go back) you definitely are forced to keep your build cheap. The reason gp10 items are used is because it provides a reliable stream of income and some stats that basically pay for themselves. Why they don't build Aegis, i don't know, but they obviously find that the mobility increase from Shurelya's is better than Aegis as a first item (and can be built from a gp10 item). But this by no means is why it is bad.

Really I would see the reason they build Shurelya's over Aegis is because when the play is the coordinated, and people are properly focused, 10 magic resist or whatever is not going to save them, but perhaps a sudden boost of speed may help them escape. Like when an Anivia has a perfect Frost Wall and separates one member from the rest of hte team, 10 magic resist won't save him unless he can get around that wall quickly, and maybe that is why it is the more popular chioce. Not to mention that Shurelyas is a better fit for Sona/Janna
Check out my Swain, Taric, and Ashe guides!
No guides currently in progress!
If I helped you at all, give me a +Rep please, thanks!
Also check out my stream!
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 4:46pm | Report
But getting a shurelya's too early won't let philostone generate much gold
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2011 5:38pm | Report
Get two? Then you can finish the shurelya's and still have a gold regen item when you're done.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide