Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why build no ap on supports?

Creator: cooper56 April 12, 2012 6:27pm
cooper56
<Member>
cooper56's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 6:27pm | Report
Just wondering i under stand you need gp5 items etc.. and some aura items but after say Aegis of the Legion and you have your gp5 items why not build ap? Janna shield and alot support abilities have good ap ratios.

You already have 40% cdr and can build two more items why not get some ap to give that shield some more power.
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2012 1:53am | Report
Well the major problem is that your damage is not going to go up by so much because you have your boots, shurelya's, aegis and wards. AP items are quite expensive, so I prefer to get some tankiness with Randuin's and Banshee's for example.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2012 2:32am | Report
Because, for example, I prefer getting Locket of the Iron Solari to give my entire team a shield instead of just slightly increasing my Eye of the Storm shield strength as Janna. Also, a lot of supports only have good AP scalings on their damaging spells, which is cool but not really helpful for the team overall. Generally, if you build AP, I'd suggest getting aura items such as Abyssal Mask and Will of the Ancients. I'd prefer more tankiness at that point in the game personally though, you're not meant to be the one that carries his/her team by dealing a lot of damage anyway.

Oh, and btw:

cooper56 wrote:
You already have 40% cdr

From which items? Are you assuming you already have Shurelya's Battlesong + Ionian Boots of Lucidity?

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2012 3:58am | Report
Simply put: Not enough gold. As a support you are in charge of buying wards (other members buy them as well, but you will be buying them a lot more than your carries), getting an Oracle's Elixir and on top of that: You're not allowed to take any farm.

Hence, unless you're getting tons of assists (yes you can't take the kills either :P), you simply don't have the gold for a Rylai's Crystal Scepter (3105g), a Rod of Ages (3035g) or an Abyssal Mask (2650g).
cooper56
<Member>
cooper56's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2012 9:25am | Report

Simply put: Not enough gold. As a support you are in charge of buying wards (other members buy them as well, but you will be buying them a lot more than your carries), getting an Oracle's Elixir and on top of that: You're not allowed to take any farm.

Hence, unless you're getting tons of assists (yes you can't take the kills either :P), you simply don't have the gold for a Rylai's Crystal Scepter (3105g), a Rod of Ages (3035g) or an Abyssal Mask (2650g).

You can farm when your ad carry goes b or your into late game.
Sept
<Member>
Sept's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2012 6:48pm | Report
cooper56 wrote:

You can farm when your ad carry goes b or your into late game.

Yes but your job as a support is making your carry lane as long as possible and give them kills, and help them farm in safety.

The reason you dont go rush ap items is, simply having not enough gold, you need to buy g/5 items and then wards/auras, pretty much that does it. You really don't get to farm much as support you should know that. and if you want more gold and take cs and kills then that pretty much ****s your carry at the end.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide