Build Guide by Tator
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Welcome to the guide! This is my first guide on Mobafire I've opened to the public so please bear with me if things get a tad sloppy. I am using the recommended chapters, just to keep things as clean as possible. If the guide turns out to be a success, I'll more than likely continue to edit and spruce things up.
Greater Mark of Desolation - One of my favorite physical melee runes of all time. This one is quite self explanatory. It may not show as much early game, but late game armor penetration is a must on any physical DPS. These may be substituted with Greater Mark of Attack Speed, but I would highly recommend armor pen reds.
Greater Seal of Evasion - Dodge runes are essential for any melee DPS. You're going to be up in the action in team fights, so more than likely you'll be taking a lot of hits from auto attacks. Dodge is the pure counter to auto attacks, mitigating 100% of the damage if you dodge the attack.
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction - Cooldown reduction is a must for Nocturne. All of his abilities are on a fairly long cooldown, especially his ultimate at rank one. Having the CDR from this and brutalizer extremely helps your early game ganking power.
Greater Quintessence of Health - Since we aren't starting out with a Doran's item, we're going to need some extra health early game. Fort quints do just that.
For masteries I go a standard 21/9/0 build.
All of the offensive talents are fairly obvious. I am still experimenting here with the 15% magic pen vs. the 2% attack speed, so that may change at one point.
Defensive masteries are straightforward, these help you in 1v1 fights against other physical DPS. They also help you to go into the jungle early and get blue/red buff when you want. Extra dodge is always a plus, as well.
- We start out with a Cloth Armor. This helps you lane for much longer by giving you five health potions. (Feel free to substitute a sight ward for three health pots if you feel safe.)
- I generally base at around 1200g. This gives me the opportunity to buy my Madred's Razors, Boots of Speed, and a Sight Ward and pots if need be.
- I base again when I have around 1500g and buy my Wriggle's Lantern, Berserker's Greaves, and possibly a Dagger if I have the money.
- You might be wondering why I get a Wriggle's Lantern on Nocturne when I'm not jungling. The answer is simple: it's an extremely well-rounded item. With additional life steal and damage, you can lane for even longer. Plus it includes a free sight ward every three minutes! You can sustain control over dragon with one Wriggle's Lantern.
- After this point, the laning phase should be well over, if not close to it. I generally buy all my items in this order, but I find myself buying a Banshee's Veil many a time before my Infinity Edge
- I chose Banshee's Veil as my defensive item because CC is one of the most deadly things with Nocturne. Being able to block a Cryptic Gaze or Ashe arrow is always amazing. Even with the recent nerf, BV is still a viable option as a defensive item.
- Once you have all the items up to Infinity Edge, you should try replacing Wriggle's Lantern with a The Bloodthirster for more damage and lifesteal. If you want more attack speed, try Zeke's Harbinger. And if you'd rather go more defensive, a Guardian's Angel is always a good choice.
- Your Duskbringer will be your main damaging ability. It is your only ability, besides your ultimate, that scales with attack damage.
- Shroud of Darkness is an incredible boost to your attack speed, with a 40% increase at rank five! That's more than a rune page full of alacrity runes, and basically a free 1050g.
- Unspeakable Horror is your only true CC ability, which requires you to remain near the enemy to activate the fear. It has a 2 second fear at rank two and also scales with ability power, which makes it one of your least prioritized abilities.