Shyvana Build Guide by Zelontu
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Hi, and welcome to the League of Legends Champion Spotlight, featuring Shyvana, The hal... No - I'm not Phreak, and I'm not a superpro. Though I'll make a try making a guide, which hopefully make you play better with Shyvana - she's a great champion, mostly aming at fast nukes, chasing and high survivability in teamfights. Though she's also great at soloing a lane. I hope you'll enjoy this guide, and remember to vote and comment the guide, so I can make the guide better!
(I mention instantly, that this is my first guide, and it may not be the best).
Pros and Cons
- Amazing DPS
- Great survivability
- Great mid/early game farmer
- Good in teamfights
- Good chaser
- Good escaper
- Have multiple builds
- Good at soloing
- Can jungle if needed
- Looks totally cool
- Can transform into a dragon! Cool!
- Fast movement
- The most awesome passive ever!
- Very squishy without items
- Very skilldependant
- Bad in earlygame
- Bad ambusher
- No ways to get away from CC-effects, except Dragon's Decent
- No slows or stuns, (her fast movement, and her ultimate make her a great chaser anyway)
- Hard to master, (and when I say hard, I mean hard!)
Shyvanas skills:Fury of the Dragonborn
(Innate): Shyvana's autoattacks enhance her abilities.
Shyvanas passive - seriously, this is one of the most awesome passives I've ever seen. It enchance her abilities, so her basic attacks will apply a new effect to the abilitie used. Let's take'em now:
Twin Bite: Each attack reduce the cooldown by 0.5 seconds.
Burnout: Extends the duration to a maximum of 6 seconds.
Flame Breath: Deals 15% of the ability's damage to debuffed targets.
Dragon's Decent: Attacks generate 2 fury and Shyvana passivly gains fury over time while in human form.
This means that the longer she stay in battle, the higher burstdamage she'll make, awesome, right?
(Active): Shyvana next autoattack will strike twice in one swift movement. The second attack will deal physical damage equal to a percentage of her total attack damage. Both attacks will trigger on-hit effects and Fury of the Dragonborn effects.
Dragon Form: Twin Bite will damage all units in front of Shyvana when she uses her next autottack instead of just her target.
Second Strike Damage: 80 / 85 / 90 / 95 / 100 % of attack damage
Cooldown: 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 seconds
Awesome skill. It let you make great burstdamage, and allow you to do it in no time. And then it's good for farming, and when in dragon form, you'll be able to use this skill nearly constantly, if you have a good attack speed. A tip to this spell is that is perfect to poke nearby enemies. Especially if you're laning against melee. Run up, activate Twin Bite, poke'em and run back. Remember that this skill is affected by your basic attack damage.
(Active): Shyvana deals magic damage per second to nearby enemies and her Movement Speed is greatly increased for 3 seconds. Shyvana's Movement Speed bonus is reduced over time.
Dragon Form: Burnout scorches the earth, continuing to damage enemies that stand on it.
Fury of the Dragonborn: Extends the duration by 1 second to a maximum of 6 seconds.
Magic Damage: 25 / 40 / 55 / 70 / 85 (+0.2 per bonus attack damage)
Cooldown: 12 seconds
Movement Speed Bonus: 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50 %
This is the skill I live of - it can be used for multiple things: nuking, getting away, chasing and farming. Espacially farming. It's an awesome skill, and I max it at start, cause' it's also good at poking. Basically it makes 25 - 85 damage and +0.2 per bonus attack damage, which is damage gotten from items. This means that both Twin Bite and Burnout benefits from bonus attack damage, can it be better? Well - this skill is awesome for farming, as earlier said. Just charge in, use Burnout, and farm - the minions have no hp, so you'll have no problem getting the kills. And remember that duration will last for longer, the more you attack. When it has reached it's full duration, it's nearly recharged again. Then it's great for chasing and getting away cause' of it's bonus movement. Activate it when it becomes handy, and discover the great feeling of cheating your enemies in the last moments. (And then it looks cool, fire over it all!)
(Active): Shyvana unleashes a fireball that deals magic damage and melts the target's Armor by 15% for 4 seconds.
Dragon Form: Flame Breath engulfs all units in a cone in front of Shyvana.
Fury of the Dragonborn: Deals 15% of the ability's damage to debuffed targets.
Magic Damage: 80 / 125 / 170 / 215 / 260 (+0.6 per ability power)
Cooldown: 12 / 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 seconds
Well - there is not much to say about this skill. Pure damage - and when in dragon form, it deals heavy AoE damage, though it's the last skill I max out. I think that Twin Bite and Burnout make it out for this. Thought it's still practical for dealing a final blow, since it have a short range. And it's pretty devastating in teamfights, when you're a dragon. AoE ftw!
(Passive): Shyvana reinforces her scales, increasing her armor and magic resistance. These defensive bonuses are doubled while in Dragon Form.
(Active): Shyvana transforms into a dragon and dashes to a target location. Enemies along her path take magic damage and are pushed toward her target location.
To use this ability, Shyvana needs 100 Fury. Shyvana generates 1 Fury every 1.5 seconds while on normal form. While in Dragon Form, she will lose 6 fury every second and once the Fury bar is empty she will return to her normal state.
Fury of the Dragonborn: Attacks generate 2 Fury
Magic Damage: 200 / 300 / 400 (+0.7 per ability power)
Armor/Magic Resist Bonus: 15 / 20 / 25
I don't know what to say. This ultimate is just A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! It have more than one advantage, and I'll try say it in a few words:
- First it's good at chasing, cause' of it's charge, (and then it does loads of damage, 200/300/400 + ability power damage)
- Then it's good at getting away, (if that's even necessary for this awesome champ), just charge back
- It's good for towerdive, of the same reason as the first
- It's devastating in teamfights, both because of the charge, and then it make all of your abilities making AoE damage
- It gives bonus armor and MR as passive
- The dragon looks cool
As you can see there are many possibilities in this ultimate. Just don't waste it - use it wisely - and you'll be able to either save your life or kill an enemy.. or three!
is better than
is better than
is better than
And then, why do I max my skills this way? Guess I should explain it. Burnout is great for farming, which is really important for this champ. Without items, she seriously sucks, and that can farm with Burnout really compensate for. Also this is a great skill to poke, and it can deal tons of damage when you're reaching a high damage output. Next I max out Twin Bite - it does an awesome damage, (I guess the highest damage of her skills), and the damage output becomes higher and higher, as well as you get damage. It's good for nukes, and have a devastating effect when in teamfights and you're in dragon form. Again this is good for farming. It is good at making finalblow, and have a relative short CD, espacially if you attack continuesly. Remember the passive. Lastly there is Flame Breath. Well - as earlier said, this skill is "just" a damage maker. I think the two other spells are alot more beneficial for damage. Though - it's good in teamfights again, cause' it'll become a powerful AoE when you're in dragon form - I promise you nuke in no time! Of course max your ultimate as soon as you can. More armor and higher damage when charging!
- I take this rune, cause' it's improve your passive in an extremely good way. You're already getting some attack speed from Wit's End and Trinity Force, and with these runes, you'll recharge your Twin Bite in no time. Not to mention, that she already got a high attack damage from items, and that combined with high attack speed, and your Twin Bite, you'll be able to do burst damage in no time. Let's take some math:
You got 250, (or around), damage in endgame.
That means your Twin Bite does the same amount of damage of course.
Let's say it have 4 seconds CD, (or less), cause' of the passive, and eventually from items and runes, and let's say you got around 1,7 in attack speed.
That makes you able to make around:
1.7*4*250+250 = 1950 damage
Think about - 1950 damage in 4 seconds!! Even Twitch are not able to do that. And now imagine this damage combined with Burnout, Dragon's Decent and Flame Breath?
- This is what making me think, that you can do around 250 damage in endgame. Or more if needed. (I do nearly always end up with so far positive score, that I change out Wriggle's Lantern with Infinity Edge). Passive damage is always good, and Shyvana needs burstdamage, if she are to be effective. Greater Seal of Strengh could also be a possibility. This rune means a higher survivability in early game, but seen in the light of, that you'll get to lvl 18 in no time with all your farm and kill, you should take runes, which are good in late game. (Well - at least that's my opinion).
- More cooldown? Yes thanks. This combined with Intelligence, Sorcery and items, (if you're going for CD-items), then you'll be able to spam your abilites constantly. Especially because they have a very low cooldown already. 6 seconds is nothing, and with around 15% cooldown, you'll have your spells ready in 5 seconds or less. Imagine how many times you'll be able to spam Twin Bite, cause' of the passive and less CD?
- I take this rune cause' of chasing and getting away. Movement is one of Shyvana's best advantages, and with this rune you'll improve your already good movement. Let's make a little math again.
Shyvana have a base runspeed of 325.
Trinity Force gives 15%
Your mastery Quickness gives 3%
Runes gives 4.5%
Force of Nature gives 8%
Then Mercury's Treads gives enchancted movement of 2.
Let's take it basic:
325+Quickness = 334.75, (335) as basics!
Then put Boots of Speed into, (which is the first item you buy in my guide): 386
Then put Mercury Treads into: 406. At this point your nearly as fast as Master Yi, and you should be able to outrun the most champions.
Now let's put Runes into:
406 + 14.6 = 420.6, (421)
And let's put Trinity Force into now:
421 + 48.75 = 469.75, (470)
Lastly take Force of Nature:
470 + 26 = 496
496. It's one of the highest movementspeed I've ever seen. You'll be able to catch up with any champ, and you'll be able to hunt down any champion, that tries to run away from. You'll become a great chaser. Now let's put Ghost and Burnout into it, (this is getting wired!):
Ghost: 87.75, (88)
Burnout: 162.5, (163)
496 + 88 = 584
496 + 163 = 658.5, (659)
You'll be able to escape any champion now, and you'll be able to chase up anyone. Noone can outrun this speed. Not even if Master Yi uses his ult, and he have runes and boots.
You may have seen, that I've taken no runes in defense, and I got a good reason for that: her passive gives her all the defense she could ever wish. And the items gives her some stats in armor and MR too - and a good portion of health. Then Force of Nature gives a good burst in health regeneration. I always end up with around 2500 hp, an armor value of 140 or around and around 200 MR, which is fine for survival. Just focos on high burstdamage.
For masteries I use a 15/0/15 setup. This gives me everything I could ever wish in damage, CD's, more mobility, more experience etc.
Going in depth:
Deadliness - Free Critical Strike is always appreciated. Imagine a critical Strike with Twin Bite? Lovely! And with your fast attack speed from runes, Wit's End and Guinsoo's Rageblade, you should be able to crit your enemies to death.
Archmage's Savvy - Well - you need 4 points to get to the next mastery, so this was the most beneficial for Shyvana. Extra AP is always appreciated, since both Flame Breath and Dragon's Decent benefits from AP, though it was just for taking a point in something.
Sorcery - More CD? Yes thanks. Spam is my codeword. Since Shyvana doesn't use mana, you're able to just keep spamming your abilities constantly, and we must not forget her passive. Need I say more?
Burning Embers - This is also a mastery, which make Shyvana alot more powerful. 10 free AP, when your Ignite are on CD - this makes your abilities making a bit more damage, as long as your Ignite is on CD - and when it isn't - use Ignite wisely. It's awesome for a killingblow!
Sunder - I take this for the damage she already make. This mastery will penetrate the armor against your target, meaning that you can penetrate tanks armor like Malphite, Alistar and such, and make the damage go right through to the hp - Twin Bite are here extremely handy - high armor penetration combined with Twin Bite, should could make a good amount of damage.
Brute Force - Free attack damage - do I need say more?
Good Hands - Reduces the time you spent dead, and will come in handy in both early and late game. In early game, (if you should be so unlucky to die), then the time you spend dead are alot shorter - and in late game, the 70 seconds will be reduced to around 60 seconds. 10 seonds can mean alot, when the enemy are trying to destroy your turret!
Perseverence - Gives you a good boost in health regeration, (I know the mana regenration are wasted), and it may not look of much, but it's needed for getting Quickness, and when you get Force of Nature, you really can feel a fast hp regeneration. And - it also makes you able ot stay in lanes for longer.
Haste - Improves your Ghost, and makes you even better at escaping and chasing. It prolongs the duration and makes it a bit more effective. More speed is always appreciated.
Awareness - More XP? I'll be taking that. With this mastery you'll be able to get to lvl 18 before the other are even lvl 14, and you'll have your ultimate before the other have even been thinking about their ultimate!
Greed - More gold? Better farm, more items faster. Need I say more?
Quickness - More movement. This combined with boots, runes, items and SS - awesome runspeed!
- I've nearly already explained myself. The summoner spell are great for either getting away or chasing. It gives an awesome movement speed, and combined with Burnout, you'll outrun everyone. And then it makes you ignore unit collision like Nocturnes Q. And it gets improved by Haste.
- I never go on with Shyvana without Ignite. It's great for getting a killingblow, both in early and lategame - remember it does some instant damage and then some damage over time. For example is it good against Tryndamere, when he's using his ultimate. Just wait a second or two, and then put on Ignite, and watch him die! You should be able to 1v1 anyone with Ignite.
- Go on with these. They makes you able to outrun everyone in early game, and if it becomes handy - helping getting away. With these you should in fact be able to outrun everyone, even if they have lvl 2 boots. And don't forget your health potions!
- This item is only beneficial for Shyvana - espacially if you're running her as a jungler. Beside it's basic stats, it also gives a 15% chance to deal 500 damage to minions. This means better farm, if you're laning.
- An improved version of Madred's Razor. It gives you some lifesteal, and then it also have the ability to place a ward. Of course the stats are a bit improved, and the passive to deal 500 damage are being raised from 15% to 20%. Even better farm, and then it's doing it out for wards.
- This is one of the reasons for, that you don't need to get runes with high MR. It gives basically 30 MR, and every attack you're getting 5 additinally MR for 5 seconds, and this stacks up to 4 times, which gives 20 MR. Then it also gives you 40 magic resistance, and it deals 42 damage each attack - awesome item, and then it only cost 2000!
- 2 movement and 35 tenacity, which gives reduced duration of CC effects. This is important, cause' Shyvana doesn't have any skills to get out of CC effects, therefor get this item, if you don't want to be ganked by champs like Irelia, Alistar and others who have CC effects.
- Phage. Practical in all ways for Shyvana. Gives some extra hp and a little boost in damage. But the passive is the best thing about this: Basic attacks have a 25% to slow the enemy by 30% in 2.5 seconds - better chase ftw!
- Trinity Force. I don't know what to say. It does have everything Shyvana need. Health, AP, attack speed, more movement, slow - you name it! The only thing about it is, that the mana is wasted - but everything else are perfect to her!
- Just some extra damage, so you can build into...
Guinsoo's Rageblade! Awesome item. Extra damage and extra AP. But the best thing is the passive, (just as in Wit's End): every basic attack, (!), it gives 4% extra attack speed and 8 AP for 5 seconds, and the effect stack up to 8 times, this gives: 32% extra attack speed and 64 AP. Awesome, right?
- Just gives some extra hp, so you can build into...
- Another awesome item. It gives a bunch of health and armor, and then it have another awesome passive: 35 damage pr. second to all nearby enemies. Perfect for farming, and devastating in teamfights, when used together with Burnout!
- Gives a high boost in MR - and that's always practical.. anyways this build into:
- Force of Nature. 3 advantages:
Extremely high boost in health regenration
The highest MR in the game
8% extra movement speed
Need I say more about this awesome item?
This is the full build. For the endgame, I recommend this:
Sell Wriggle's Lantern.
- Infinity Edge. At this state of the game, you don't need farming anymore. You want to go right after the champions, and there this becomes handy. You already got a high attack speed, and with this you'll be able to:
- crit more, (25% extra crit chance)
- make more damage, (+80 damage)
- make even more damage, (+50% damage to critical strikes)
Then sell Guinsoo's Rageblade.
- Madred's Bloodrazor. Another awesome item. Even more damage, even more attack speed and a passive, that allows you to deal 4% of the targets maximum health! More damage ftw!
As I said earlier, then Shyvana is extremely squishy in early game. Just stay back at turret, stay at a safe distance from your enemies, and watch out for an ambush. Try farm as much as you can. Poke your enemies, and use Ghost and Ignite to bring down your enemies, for FB or just for more farm. Keep farming - Shyvana is nothing without items! Just get a kill when you can see it's secure, and keep farming. Farm farm farm. Get XP, get gold, get everything it takes to get your items, so you can be your teams hero later in the game! Go for Wriggle's Lantern and Wit's End, and if possible Mercury's Treads.
Be sure to get a lane for yourself. Go mid if possible, and if you have a jungler, then go solo top or bot. Just know, that a duolane is NOT an option!
Did I mention you should farm?
Pretty much just keep farming. At this point you should have Wriggle's Lantern, Wit's End and Mercury's Treads. Maybe some parts of the Trinity Force. After you've gotten Trinity force, you'll begin to feel, that you are an unstopable force of damage! Just keep farming, get a kill when you can, and support your teammates. Get red buff, and keep farming. Just make sure the gold are flowing in!
Now you should have Mercury's Treads, Trinity Force, Guinsoo's Rageblade, Wit's End and Sunfire Cape. Now go for Force of Nature. Keep farming - keep getting kills. At this point you're an unstopable force of damage. A bit tanky, but you still deal tons of damage. And remember: don't start a fight, end it!
You should have all items at this point. Sell Wriggle's Lantern, get Infinity Edge, sell Guinsoo's Rageblade and get Madred's Bloodrazor. When you have this build, you should be unkillable. I guess you could practically solo a whole enemy team with this build. High damage, damage over time with Sunfire Cape and Burnout. Burst damage with ult, Flame Breath and Twin Bite. You'll be able to nuke anyone!
As earlier said, don't initiate a fight. End it. Let a tank like Alistar, Malphite whoever are your tank. Then lead in with:
- Dragon's Decent
- Twin Bite
- Flame Breath
Remember to stay in head of your enemies, so your abilities will hit'em. And coordinate your attacks at the right time. Just keep rolling:
Activate Burnout again
Twin bite is perfekt in teamfights, when you're in dragon form, because it does heavy AoE damage - and your Sunfire Cape, Burnout and basic attacks make the rest. Just make sure they don't focus you. End the fight, but don't KS. Also - she's good at soloing, so you can practically solo Baron at this state of the game.
(I can solo dragon in lvl 9).
Just make sure to help out your teammates, gank, and end it the battle together.
Well. This is the end of my guide. I hope you liked it, and that you can use it for just something. Remember to vote and comment, so I can make improvements on my guide.