Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

A penny for my thoughts* - The opinion of a reader

Creator: Latest Legend August 3, 2014 4:42pm
1 2 3
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 4:42pm | Report
EDIT: Wow, this post got huge! Feel free to skip to the disclaimer which is by chance also a TL;DR.

A penny for my thoughts*

The opinion of a reader

Most of you may know me as the guy that spends all of his time on a League of Legends related website lurking on the off topic subforum (I think), but I actually signed up for this site to comment on guides. I checked the New Guides tab daily and tried to lend a hand in the tiring work of filtering new guides. Times changed, the daily load of half-finished new guides and other horrors got smaller and I moved on looking for new places to spam.

I wanted to get back to doing something useful on this website but I'm too lazy to do the first round again. I figured this laziness might be an opportunity for dedicated guide writers out there, as I would be able to give a review from the standpoint of a standard reader with an attention span of the first paragraph of this post.

Let me get to the point. (I promise!)

I will read your guide, as a reader. Meaning the following:
  • I will be lazy. Walls of text scare me, so do walls of banners. My scrolling finger is weak.
  • I will be picky. Every single spelling or grammar mistake I find I will report as if you just bought two pairs of boots. (Please do run a spell check first if you can)
  • I will aks obvious questions. I am Silver II at the time of writing and I won't hesitate to use it.
  • I will probably not have much to say about your build, more about presentation. (see above)
  • I will report you for intentional feeding if I lose. Unless I can flame the support. So you better not have a support guide.
  • I will be a nitpicker. nothing personal or meant to be insulting in any way.
What sets me apart from a normal reader: I won't (down)vote your guide for nothing.

Format and requirements

There is no format. Do whatever you like. A link to the guide(s) in question would be appreciated though. :P There are no requirements, but in turn I maintain the right to cut a read short if I think the guide is in such a state that it is unreadable. (Which basically results in a read anyway.) If you'd like me to focus on something in particular please let me know before I start reading. :P

Q&A

Because all the cool kids have one
  • Do you even play LoL?
    Yes I do. But for some parts of the read I will pretend like I started last week, unless you prefer I don't.
  • Is there a limit on the amount of guides I can ask a read for?
    The sky is the limit. Meaning I will ignore you if you ask for 10 guides while there's a queue of other summoners. No hard limit.
  • Why would you know more about the game than me?
    I probably don't. This is not a review service, it's a reading service.
  • Why is this post so long?
    You better not have a verbose guide, summoner.
  • You are a [...]
    Part of the job. If you can't handle nitpicking, don't ask for a read.
  • Will you tell me the future based on the palms of my hands?
    No.

Disclaimer (TL;DR)

Okay enough of my humor. If you would like an open view on your guide from a reader's perspective please give me a shot in this thread. I will at all times try to be nice but I'm afraid sometimes long lists of silly nitpicks will come across as negative or insulting. This is not my intention, I just hope I can give something back to all those amazing guide writers in a fun way for both parties, and the goal of this topic is to look whether there is interest or not.

So, anyone interested? Thoughts? Please let me know.

* Penny will be refunded upon safe return of the reader. The reader and affiliated parties are not responsible for any harm caused during the read to either the penny or others.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 5:03pm | Report
  • I will be picky. Every single spelling or grammar mistake I find I will report as if you just bought two pairs of boots. (Please do run a spell check first if you can)
  • I will aks obvious questions. I am Silver II at the time of writing and I won't hesitate to
aks

Not gonna lie, I found that slightly amusing. Good luck reviewing reading! :)

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Latest Legend
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 5:08pm | Report
Ehh... Fak. I'll just leave it there as if it was intentional. Nice catch and thanks ^^
jamespongebob
<Wingman>
jamespongebob's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 5:16pm | Report
Read my Jinx guide? It's in my signature.
My Guides

Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 5:44pm | Report
Read my Leona guide. I like to live dangerously.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 6:35pm | Report
Read my Talon guide. I'll check your comment in about a week when you're finally done.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 7:22pm | Report
Read my Jinx guide? It's in my signature.
I'm sorry for making you a guinea pig(Oh, did I forgot to mention that? :P), I still need to figure out how far I can/want to go.

I wanted to post how far I've gotten so far. I'm pretty tired so I might have another look at the actual content tomorrow, this consists mainly of nitpicks on spelling and grammar comments.

Content-wise, I'm not an marksman player at all, but I understood everything (small nitpick on sequence explanation, you'll find below) and it was pretty short while still explaining the choices. What can I say? It's the top rated guide already so I guess you got the message.

Something perhaps a bit more important than the other things below, it took me a while to notice the table of contents. I basically scrolled over it while I was focused on scrolling over the banner(I did warn you :P). Maybe a bigger caption might help. I see you already tried to make it catch the eye by making it italics.

Lastly, I made some comments(the first ones in particular) on your use of commas. I honestly don't have any feel for commas, so I would advise you to take them with a truck full of grains of salt.
nitpick alert
Please let me know what you think! Am I going too far with my nitpicks? Was it useful?

Also, perhaps I should mention I'm going somewhere without internet for a week next Saturday. I hope to complete the current requests before that.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 8:59pm | Report
lol the nitpicks are great, really.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
jamespongebob
<Wingman>
jamespongebob's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 9:40pm | Report
I feel so flawed.

Rep+

Will make edits soon. Thanks for the read.
My Guides

PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2014 10:34pm | Report
This reminds me a little of myself when I started reviewing. Good luck with your reviews and I hope you don't get too swamped with requests!
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide