Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Let's do a little theory crafting about types...

Creator: The_Nameless_Bard July 7, 2011 3:10pm
1 2 3
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:10pm | Report

Offense support:
    Can deal quite a bit of damage, but also has abilities that grant defense of some kind (A heal, a shield, you get the idea)
    Could carry the whole team if needed, but wouldn't be as effective as the true carry
    Has both combative and defensive assists
    Not always considered a "support", but generally functions in a supportive matter.

Defense Support:
    Not always a high damage dealer
    Keeps the team up and running, but couldn't carry if they needed to
    Mostly has defensive assists, but they might have a few from actual combat
    Usually considered a "support"

^^Based on this concept I'd like to categorize the supportive champions (tanks, supports, and the like) into their respective categories (offense supporter/defense supporter).

So far I have:

Examples of offense supporters

Lux: has high damage output and good CC . Also has a lot of spell range. Her prismatic shield scales with her AP, so high AP makes her better at supporting.

Morgana: has high damage output and good CC. Her Black Shield also scales off her AP, so again she needs a high AP build to do her job

Karma: Karma is capable of dishing out carry level damage but since both of her main damaging abilities have a defensive aspect to them, she can burst and protect at the same time.

Nidalee: Good damage with Javelin Toss and Aspect Of The Cougar abilities. Her Primal Surge has a great AP ratio, so again she is build predominantly AP. Her passive makes her one of the best roamers in the game.

Kayle: a good hybrid DPS champion but actually supports the best when build mostly AP with a Lich Bane since Divine Blessing and her other abilities are based predominantly on AP. Also can be built as a tanky DPS semi-effectively.

Alistar: high damage output when built AP, but still retains tankiness because of his high base health. He also is a very good tank.

AND

Examples of defense supporters

Soraka: one of the best healing champs. She can be built tanky support or tanky AP depending on what you want.

Taric: Can be both offense and defense support, but is generally played more as a defensive character than an offensive one.

Janna: Another champion who can go both ways. Build as a tank and you have an offense support who can initiate beautifully. Build with a little extra AP and you have your back up caster, although her healing ability has a horrid AP ratio. Build straight support (AD or AP) and you have the last thing your team will need.

Sona: Better as a defense support, but can be a decent offense support. Her healing ability has a terrible AP ratio (just like Janna's) but her other abilities have fairly high ones, so some AP is ok even when playing defensively.

Karma: Though she actually deal carry level damage, she is also a decent defense support. Generally your build should still be predominantly AP, because she relies heavily on her abilities.

Kayle: Since she can viably be built as a tanky support or pure tank, she can be a very good defense support.

Shen: One of the best defensive supporters whether you build him as a straight tank or as an AP tank. Most of his damage comes from Vorpal Blade, Ki Strike, and autoattacks, so he's not a super high damage dealer. His Shadow Dash is extremely good for initiating and he keeps the team running with Stand United.

ANY input would be awesome! I want my WIP guide(from which this stuff is quoted) to be based on your opinions.
Feel free to give me builds for the champs, tell me to move them around, give me more options to add to my lists, give me better descriptions (in which case I will quote you in the guide), or whatever else you feel like saying in response to this.
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:24pm | Report
Uhhhhh.... Shen? Anyone?
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:25pm | Report
Working on adding him.
I was thinking Defensive support for him?
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:27pm | Report

Working on adding him.
I was thinking Defensive support for him?

Probaly he his damage comes from Vorpal Blade, Ki Strike, and autoattacks, so he doesn't do much damage. He keeps the team running with his Shadow Dash, and Stand United. Then there is Feint...yeah.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:31pm | Report
Rudmed wrote:

Probaly he his damage comes from Vorpal Blade, Ki Strike, and autoattacks, so he doesn't do much damage. He keeps the team running with his Shadow Dash, and Stand United. Then there is Feint...yeah.

I added him (with relatively long description). How's that?
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:34pm | Report

I added him (with relatively long description). How's that?

I think that will work...and it is noted.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 3:38pm | Report
I also need to add Rammus, but I don't really know anything about him. XD

I'm in the process of adding malphite also.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 5:24pm | Report
No Sona? D:
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 5:55pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

No Sona? D:

She's under defensive supporters
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 7, 2011 7:12pm | Report
Ori, even though she is not support by any means, she has supportive traits, and if you stick Lux up there stick Ori right with her <3
Bloofyre wrote:
May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide