Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Making a wall of text look attractive?

Creator: Kirluu March 24, 2012 12:21pm
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 12:21pm | Report
Hey guys. I still need to pull myself together into updating my guide, which's main weakness lies in the walls of text around the ending (Explaination of laning, teamfights, etc.).

I was wondering if any of you have some ideas as to how I can make these look more attractive? My guide is in my Signature, if you want to see for yourself. I just feel that codes like Havoc isn't enough at all.
What do I do?

I'm thinking of making some sort of like... Well, a "push-in" whenever I go to a new line, kind of like this:

Derp, and then here comes the text.

However, that is only a very small, and in my eyes, at least when alone, an insignificant change to the walls.

EDIT: Okay, umm.. Apparantly spaces don't work for that. How do I even manage that anyway, then? D:

Any creative ideas? :o
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 12:22pm | Report
Not quite advertising but, look at the lane match-up section of my Maokai guide.

Clever use of columns, icons and headers makes it look good.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 12:28pm | Report
Lugignaf wrote:

Not quite advertising but, look at the lane match-up section of my Maokai guide.

Clever use of columns, icons and headers makes it look good.

Well, I'm not talking about lane-matchups. It's straight ahead walls of text, and as far as I can see, your following chapters after the lane-matchups, suffers from the same that the end of my guide suffers from. Your Items section is sort of the same as my Teamfights etc. sections, while everything else after that in your guide is just text.

Basically, you have a problem just as well as me in that way, however in my case it's a bit more extreme. :P
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 12:31pm | Report
^ Exactly. If you want to learn about columns, check my guide on how to use them :)

Use a lot of pictures and icons to illustrate everything. If you explain laning, add a picture or a video of you laning. If you explain teamfights, add a picture of who should be standing where. Usually a picture says more than a thousand words! :)

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 12:35pm | Report
Kirluu wrote:

Well, I'm not talking about lane-matchups. It's straight ahead walls of text, and as far as I can see, your following chapters after the lane-matchups, suffers from the same that the end of my guide suffers from. Your Items section is sort of the same as my Teamfights etc. sections, while everything else after that in your guide is just text.

Basically, you have a problem just as well as me in that way, however in my case it's a bit more extreme. :P

Yea. It's difficult as hell to make it look good. I was just using one section as an example.
True love is found only in yourself.
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:18pm | Report
Thing is... How do I use columns for a wall of text? It can only be a disadvantage if the reader is forced to scroll down, and then be forced to scroll back up to continue with column nr. 2. Right?

I see the sense with the pictures and such, however I feel like that won't help much either. It'll just be like:

TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
LOLOL PICTURE
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT
TEXT

That doesn't help a whole lot, sadly.
-
Beeswarm17
<Member>
Beeswarm17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 2:53pm | Report
Useful methods for breaking up walls of text:

Layout - There's more to text than just paragraphs. Columns, lists, spacing, and alignments can give your eyes something to do as you're browsing text. Try to keep your text organized but visually dynamic. Try not to let your paragraphs get too long. 5 lines or so is a good average.

Color - Color provides vivid emphasis and keeps text from blurring together. This is not something to overuse. How much is too much? Decide on your own or get second opinions. If it looks bad, then take it down. Too little is better than too much.

Images - More than just a punchline, if it illustrates what you are describing, then put it in. Add captions to the image to draw more attention to what you are showing. Also, having images floating next to your description can give paragraphs emphasis and help the eye flow down the page.

These are just my suggestions. If you want an example of what I mean by "images floating", I mean it like this:

When you have an image floating, it gives a clearer representation of what you are describing, while not being quite as constrained as columns. In this case, what is shown at the left is this: [icon=Aegis of the Legion size=48 float=left]. You can also use columns with the float text to have it on both sides, or if your text takes more space than the width of the icon.

It's also possible to have it float on the right, and this can add some dynamic layout options for you. Keep in mind that as English (and most romance languages) read from left to right, it is usually better if you start with images on the left hand side, as that is what most readers will see first. Don't let that stop you, though. I used [icon=Atma's Impaler size=48 float=right], and I still placed it at the start of this paragraph.

I'd actually recommend you give that a shot for your item build section. It would probably clean it up a bit, but that's up to you. It might also fix your columns issue.

(Also, your damage for Sunfire Cape in your guide is incorrect. It deals 35 damage a second, not 40.)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide