Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Not Requiring Comment Issue

Creator: Dremu April 14, 2011 5:46am
spooon
<Editor>
spooon's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 8:41am | Report
Well if your guide is not at the percentage you want it to be, make it better ?
Svingas
<Member>
Svingas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 9:54am | Report
It doesn't matter how much better you make your guide. That won't change the troll votes from those who are just trying to down-vote your build so they can bump up their's or just because they want to down-vote. Requiring a comment to vote makes the person at least give a reason for why they are down-voting. If someone has a good reason to think the build is not good they can comment and down vote. The problem is that the troll voters are voting down the builds that actually should be on top and then we end up with bad builds on top that give bad advice and this is why we are known to league of legends players as not providing reliable guides.

Check out my extensive Sivir Guide

SpicyRice
<Member>
SpicyRice's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 10:01am | Report
just had my sion's build go from 23/23 to 23/24. i'm distraught

lol

ok

not distraught, but irked.

i'll try not to make this a QQ thread, because i feel that it is perhaps a mistake to make this transition into no-longer requiring a comment to vote:

i make an effort to respond to criticisms of my guide and where they're valid i update the build and info. i genuinely think it is a useful mechanic. a lot of people who have + voted give criticism which i considered and at times i updated my build because of it.

it seems that allowing people to - vote without writing why is just an invitation to trolls and rival guide-makers who aren't actually interested in improving your build by introducing a new opinion/perspective, they just want to lower your guide's rating.

the virtue of requiring a downvoter to make a comment is that it requires them, by way of removing anonymity, to make a valid point (or at least one that they think is valid), otherwise they embarass themselves.

the point is this: if they don't even think they're making a valid point, then there is no way that they aren't trolling.

so what's the solution? i think this change should be replaced with a mechanic in which the person who get's downvoted can't then vote on the downvoter's builds at all. this removes the implied threat of revenge downvoting and removes any punishment for legitimate downvotes (thereby making them more common), but also requiring them to make a valid criticism.

tl;dr: it's quite a complex point that's being made. you should actually read it if you're interested.
SpicyRice
<Member>
SpicyRice's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 3:15pm | Report
what do the vets think about the last point? i'd be interested to know as it looks like a more elegant solution which ensures only legitimate votes (as opposed to troll votes or rival votes) are made...
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 3:19pm | Report
No, because that censors opinions. Revenge downvoting happens - deal with it.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 3:27pm | Report
SpicyRice wrote:

what do the vets think about the last point? i'd be interested to know as it looks like a more elegant solution which ensures only legitimate votes (as opposed to troll votes or rival votes) are made...

It would cause a flood of extra accounts made.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 3:27pm | Report
Trojan995 wrote:

It would cause a flood of extra accounts made.

This is a huge issue as well.
Dremu
<Member>
Dremu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 3:58pm | Report
I like comment to vote because as he said only in a diff way, People can give criticism when they don't have to comment they just don't bother :/
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 4:03pm | Report
That's just another way of saying you want to protect your score (you want the people who don't want to bother commenting to not vote at all).

Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 14, 2011 4:41pm | Report
Again, I think the issue here is people are caring too much about their score.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide