Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

"Screenshots in Guides"

Creator: Xaioli May 29, 2011 3:17am
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:16pm | Report

@Xaioli using a system intended for a 1 on 1 scenario for a team game makes no sense to me. ELO was originally intended for chess competitions where you get pick your opponent. It also was intended to factor in draws which LoL doesn't have. It also imo makes NO sense to use wins and losses as a basis for skill. Sometimes you will lose regardless of your "skill". If you go into a game and the other 4 players quit out you will most likely lose, no matter how "skilled" you are.

Bard, if you didn't see earlier, but I tried to state that **** happens to everyone! :(.

Matchmaking system dosen't wake up one day and just say, hey, let's **** xxxx over! >_>

You win some, you lose some. When it comes to ranked and etc, it makes sense tbh. You win, you gain points, you lose, you lose points. If it's not logical, please explain, I've got open ears :)
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:16pm | Report
This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the ....elo
DocSmoothJew
<Member>
DocSmoothJew's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:20pm | Report
Mostly gonna address the bits towards the end, Xaio. The problem is, do people go out for a pickup game of baseball and hold the bat upside down? Do people go for a pickup game of American football and intentionally take the snap and throw the ball to the opposing team and then kick their teammate to the ground so he can run in an easy touchdown? No, that **** happens in LoL. Riot has very very clearly stated that they want this game to be competitive. You can not have a competitive game where the casual level is a 100% absurd, ****ing joke. I don't care what they do, but the fact that people give a **** because of a number attached to them (or stats attached to them in the case of HoN) when they play a type of game is utterly ridiculous and it is further evidence supporting the idea that gaming will never truly be an accepted professional sport. Last point on this is that I think it's down to the developers not really having the right mindset and thusly not knowing what they need to do to push their game to that level.

Other issue I had with your post is why are you pointing out the difference between Blind and Draft pick modes like I don't know how significant it is? I've played HoN and DotA so I know the difference very well. In fact, I believe I mentioned in a post earlier in the thread that I ranted in beta about them getting another, better mode for MM. I suppose I never thought they'd be ******ed enough to stick it on a separate MM queue and leave the other stupid one in place.

If I didn't inquire about this earlier, do you think switching normal from blind to draft pick would change anything?

EDIT: Xao, that's not a valid argument really (the win some, lose some bit). You win some, you lose some in Chess too. That's hardly the issue. It's not about the MM system screwing people over. It's just that the Elo is inaccurate in the first place so it can't properly match people up anyway. Elo and MM are in a way a separate thing. You have an Elo rating and then you join MM and it uses said Elo rating to match you up. Only the Elo is inaccurate so you don't get proper matches.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:34pm | Report
The whole damn game is a total troll fest...people make multiple accounts, get them to level 30, and troll games with them...I've been the 5th person added to a premade four who all quit out because they thought it would be funny...you can't win unless you convince them to surrender (which is basically impossible). I get trolled every time I go into solo queue...I have 4 maybe 5 leaves...EVER
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:35pm | Report
Maybe this will clear things up:

ELO measures how much POWER you have on a team. If you affect the team for the best, you have a strong team presence and you are more likely to win. If you have a weak presence, you're more likely to falter with inferior teammates.

So, with more skill you'll have more presence on a team and you're more likely to win, NO MATTER how many feeders you get on your team.

Not only that, ELO will become more accurate the more games you play. If you play 20 games, your elo won't be that accurate. Currently, I have 9 wins and 3 losses; 1448 elo. Maybe my true elo is lower, maybe my true elo is higher. But the fact of the matter is, if someone like Xaioli or Considereth plays 800+ games, their elo will be an ACCURATE representation of their team presence.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:43pm | Report
This might be true if the champs were balanced appropriately, but some are so much better that having one on your team pretty much means a win.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:48pm | Report
I am not taking anything as an insult nor getting defensive, you just don't know what rebuttal is.

And @Bard

that is what banning is for, and seeing the enemy champs so you can pick ones to counter them.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 5:50pm | Report
@Bard that is what banning is for, and seeing the enemy champs so you can pick ones to counter them.

Not talking about ranked lol, I've never played a ranked game...
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 6:12pm | Report
Booshido wrote:

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the ....elo

Most epic quote....ever?

Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 6:30pm | Report
@ Doc - My bad, I read it the wrong way, totally my fault there. Regarding switching draft mode to Normal, perhaps. They should add a "Draft or Blind Pick" mode when you select the Normal Game option.

You also stated you've played HoN, correct? Would you not agree that people just **** around when they play regular games? In ranked, it's a different story of course. When it comes to LoL, you have nothing to gain from playing normals except for 'lulz'. You have no tangible number that rates your skill. It's just normal elo I guess you'd say.

When it comes to a number being attached to you, it shows your skill level compared to others. Would you agree or not? I feel like the elo that we are given from playing ranked shows your skill. Elo is never 100% accurate because players always improve. A number is a number, but when it shows your skill in a game, it does matter, especially when you spend most of your 'spare time' on it.

When I meant the whole you win some and lose some thing, I meant it as this. Elo and MM are 2 different things, but they have to work together. When you win, you obviously gain elo. When you lose, you lose well, elo. You've got it correct, when you enter MM, it takes your elo and matches you with other people the the same elo as you. However, some picks will be 'trolled' and some games might have 'feeders and trolls'. It happens to everyone, and you've gotta deal with it.

Hopefully, I covered everything, if not, sorry, I've been playing a lot of MOBAFire Inhouses! I'll get back to you if I missed things.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide