Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

VexRoth - All That Is Ranked

Creator: VexRoth January 26, 2015 10:41pm
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2017 10:42pm | Report

This one turned epic because we were having trouble cracking their base after we got their first inhibitor down. Thought we were fubared once I engaged on their team right as our Ahri DCd, but fortunately most of the rest of team ran and we didn't really lose anything out of it. Ahri came back and then we lost a fight at Baron so they ended up getting Baron and taking one of our inhibitors but then they backed off and when they came down Mid again we stomped them and ran it up Mid.

Things I learned. Finish fast if you an because you never know when someone might DC.

Ended up selling my Banshee's Veil for Edge of Night because I didn't feel like I was doing enough damage.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2017 10:52pm | Report

The early game went somehat poorly, but we fought back into it come Mid game. We ended not being able to contest Elder Dragon. I told team to wait out and concede our turret and inhibitor because we were getting chunked out by Varus poke and the true damage burn from Elder Dragon. Nasus couldn't wait, so he went in after their carriers. I figured what the hell, we were probably going to lose after he went down, so I went in after him. Unfortunately, Orianna had burned her ult trying to snipe Varus as they were marching up to the turret so we were down a key ult.

On Top of that bad decision, I made a stupid decision to go in when they were four man diving Bot and I just ended up giving them another kill.

Lessons learned. Let it go if you are at a disadvantage. If some dummy decides to go in and their is a chance you can keep the rest of your base at least somewhat together, let them die. 3 people might be able to defend, especially when you still have the rest of your turrets and inhibitors.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2017 10:55pm | Report

This was pretty much gg. Shaco. He ran me out of my Top side jungle after stealing my Blue Buff and then proceeding to negate any advantage Top lane was getting out of beating up on Garen early game. Bot lane wasn't doing well, and Mid while holding their own, ended up getting gang ganked two or three times after Bot tower went down. Shaco too stronk.

Not really finding a winning formula at the moment. Trying to play Vi frequently because she is strong, but games feel like they are won basically by whoever gets the first tower. Which may be what I should focus on. Right now I like to try and give my Top laner an early kill in the hopes that they can snowball their lane, then start focusing Bot and Mid lane. Though there are some match-ups Top lane that feel hard to tilt. E.g. Nasus vs Poppy of which I've had a couple of those Top lane match-ups lately. Nasus has Wither but his damage output early game is pretty damn low, while Poppy's is not.

I think we got one tower this game at the cost of a tower and inhibitor (woo hoo!) and we also nabbed two dragons.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 31, 2017 9:24pm | Report

Mah team. Well really Master Yi who camped top and cleaned up Garen every time Garen killed Fiora, which he did quite a lot. So good Garen or bad Fiora as that is a matchup that Fiora should win. Had to mute Galio and Fiddlesticks. Wish you could mute pings, but sadly you cannot. I helped them pick up a kill on I believe Tahm, though might have been Caitlyn. My big mistake was listening to them when they wanted to do dragon. I had basically had no mana and no Smite and they had scuttle control. We got the dragon but none of us got out of the pit after three of them showed up, giving three kills to Caitlyn. I also failed a wall flash on that one, so that was also my bad. I opted to go for total damage to at least try to kill one of them before going down myself, which worked in a couple of fights, but with three inhibitors down it was pretty much only a matter of time.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 31, 2017 10:18pm | Report

Aside from the Nami and Camille going at it, this was a pretty good game. Team seemed interested in pushing the pace where we had advantages. We lost or got beat up in some of those attempts, but we generally got what we were after. Had some of those chance things go my way this game. I was low after a team fight and backed out a decent ways, but out popped Udyr trying to chase me down. My Chilling Smite came off cooldown letting me get a little distance and them my E came off cooldown right after that, so I was able to scoot out of there with my life. Some games that stuff goes the opposite way.

IIRC my two deaths were from getting objectives and putting a hurt on their team which let our team clean-up or walk away mostly intact. Those are the kinds of deaths that I don't mind.
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2017 9:29am | Report
Been kinda keeping up with this, do you do any replay review, or are these write ups the only reflective things done?
I used to have a spreadsheet with basic info like champ I'm playing, enemy champ, and any notes about that match up and game in general (similar to this actually) but I found that the best way to improve was to watch my replays and write down every single thing I did wrong, and choose a couple of those things to focus on.
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the awesome PsiGuard-loving sig!
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2017 1:12pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:
Been kinda keeping up with this, do you do any replay review, or are these write ups the only reflective things done?
I used to have a spreadsheet with basic info like champ I'm playing, enemy champ, and any notes about that match up and game in general (similar to this actually) but I found that the best way to improve was to watch my replays and write down every single thing I did wrong, and choose a couple of those things to focus on.

I have always been skeptical and I found a **** Huap video (guy good at league, tons of followers) and he made a video to explain why it doesn't work.

Silver - plat don't know what they are doing wrong, so watching your own replay's isn't that useful because you either fail to see the mistakes or you misidentify the mistakes.

It is WAY better to have more experienced players give you feedback. And one might argue its actually a huge waste of your time to watch your own replays because it isn't helping might actively been hurting your improvement.
I used to care about KDA, now I care about CS and Objectives.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2017 1:52pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:

I've reviewed my video some. But its tricky as I only have time to play maybe 3 games per night except on weekends and that is pushing it. I've also had a couple of people on this site review some games and have received some decent feedback.

I think that can definitely help, but I'm also with Ixtellor to the degree that since I've got a birthday coming up, I'm strongly considering asking for some coaching sessions, because while I do feel like I'm getting incrementally better, it isn't at the rate that I would like.

general advice:

1. Play one champion
2. Play OP champions (well they get banned so you can't do #1 then)
3. What if your team has no tank and team has one or more?
4. Play who you enjoy
5. Play simple champions (I like Elise but damn if I suck at doing her combo consistently).

Its funny, because I feel like I'm reasonably good with Zac at he was very strong toward the end of last season and is still in a decent spot, but I rocked a 22% win rate on the blob in ranked, while having like a 65% win rate on Shyvana. Does that mean I'm bad at tanks, bad at Zac, or just better with a champion that farms and gets big and runs over everyone despite not having much of a fall back pattern?

I've spent hours watching things like the LoLsoc videos, watching SRO to learn minion wave management, digging around in various reddit main and summonerschool sites, and here on Mobafire reading champion guides. And I've made it as far as S2. Which is better than were I started, which was so bad at ranked play that I created a completely new account just to practice ranked with people that were in the same boat at me -> just starting (as opposed to playing from an account that 700+ normal games).

To be clear, I appreciate the suggestion. It's kind of why I started this post (aside from logging my progress) - to let others see what the climb is like for people in a similar situation (trying to grind their way through soloqueue mostly by themselves). I also do a little blogging here that often goes into greater detail on things I've learned, trying out, or just thinking about. Writing about it helps me thing some things through.

I should watch my replays more than I do, so that will go on my list.

List:
-Watch my replays
-Use F keys to monitor my laners
-Always click on the enemy jungler to see their current health/mana/what buffs they have/watch which direction they are headed in when they move into the fog of war
-At the start watch the enemy laners come to lane. See who is late and check their mana to see if they leashed in order to know the enemy junglers likely path through the jungle.
-Invade more often when my laners are pushed if I don't have anything more important to do
-Get coaching
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2017 2:13pm | Report
Updated champion pool as of 1-Feb-2017

I seem to be getting jungle about 95% of the time at the moment. Mid is very occasional and quite often there is a dodge, so I'm back to getting jungle. IIRC I've been autofilled three times this season. 2x as support and 1x as ADC.

Role Champion
Jungle
Mid

Gragas for when we need an actual tank and/or some AP. (No tanks is actually rather frequent though. Everyone wants to play Riven or Yasuo or some other bruiser or carry Top lane), but most of the true tanks suck in the jungle... Maokai, Nautilus, and Shen all have subpar clear speeds. Zac is okay, but see my previous post about the 22% winrate on Zac though to be fair I usually picked him when someone in Silver just had to play Yasuo and I think that worked out for a win exactly once.

Both Vi and Hecarim are often banned, so I bounce between the two when one or the other isn't available.

Ahri for match-ups where Vel'Koz struggles.
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 3, 2017 8:51pm | Report
Well my post got wrecked by MOBAFire and I'm too tired to retype it but the gist was:
Play Amumu
Ignore teammates
Watch high elo streams/replays and compare yourself to them. If they do something you wouldn't ask yourself why.
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the awesome PsiGuard-loving sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide