Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Hybrid Living

Creator: Lawsmith April 3, 2011 2:36pm
12 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Lawsmith
<Member>
Lawsmith's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 3, 2011 2:36pm | Report
Just wondering, what is the consensus among the community about hybrids? I don't mean tank/anything hybrids (because the rage about Tanky DPS is sufficient already), but instead hybrid characters capable going down AD and AP routes. I suppose the key examples of offensive hybrids would be Kayle, Teemo, and Twisted Fate in my opinion. (It's usually characters with the most utility value on their ultimates and some followup AP damage on their auto-attacks.)

In most cases, I would be inclined to say that it is more straightforward and more consistent to play AD carries or AP casters, due to the team knowing what to expect out of each of its members. At the same time, that consistency also makes it easy for the opposing team to know who has a huge bulls-eye target in teamfights. I think it makes the game more fun and creates a higher skill cap when you have to take into account the enemy team's items, and provide a reactionary response. To me, hybrids are fun and challenging to play due to their utility ults, but I've heard many responses on forums that often, the hybrid characters are the most underpowered, due to the somewhat gimped potential of fully exploiting all their skills (especially TF and Kayle).

What do you guys think? Do you prefer hybrids or traditional carries and casters? Would you want Riot to continue making them?
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 3, 2011 2:42pm | Report
Well look at Poppy.

She is an anti-carry AP or AD, similar burst damage. Usually I go either only AD or only AP, but similar concept.

Jax is a hybrid usually. Rageblade, gunblade, gg.

Cho can go AP Tank.

Those are the only really viable hybrids I can think of other than what you mentioned. But I think it's nice to play a couple of roles in one match/deal different types of damage than being straight up whatever once in a while.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 3, 2011 2:45pm | Report
The problem with hybrid champions:

-to utilize auto-attacks, you need attack speed, attack damage, and crit.

-to utilize spells that scale on AP, you need lots of AP. The ratios and cooldowns generally aren't good enough to get use out of 100 AP.

Therefore, hybrids are only good on champions like Kayle, who can turn one into the other and vice versa.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 3, 2011 2:57pm | Report
This hybrid idea isn't bad but I don't see it working so well that you can swing the game one way or another.
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 3, 2011 3:29pm | Report
Tf is either good AD or AP, both is what above poster said, not enough of either to be useful.

kayle - meh shes bad
jax
akali
teemo, hes kind of both as he gets most dmg from shrooms and ad auto atks with ap scaling poison
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 9:20am | Report
Pretty much the only champions I can EVER see hybrid working on are Jax and Katarina.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 9:30am | Report

Pretty much the only champions I can EVER see hybrid working on are Jax and Katarina.

I wouldn't call Katarina a hybrid per se, just because the only reason she gets gunblades is because it gives her the most power on her ultimate/bouncing blades. Katarina rarely uses her auto-attacks to deal damage, if ever.

Kayle is made to be a hybrid, therefore she can deal a bunch of damage with auto-attacks and still have strong nukes. However, her laning phase is garbage and she has to go to way late game to really gain viability.

I don't know much about Jax
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Hamduden
<Member>
Hamduden's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 9:39am | Report
What about Poppy?
Regards

Hamduden // Ezaculatte (EUW)
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 9:41am | Report
Hamduden wrote:

What about Poppy?

Poppy might be a mix of magic damage and physical damage, but she is NOT hybrid. You either build her with a trinity force + AD + tanky items, or you build her with lich bane + AP. You don't do a mix of the two.
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 4, 2011 10:44am | Report
you build poppy with triforce + ap items + philo stones (optimally)
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide