Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Alistar

Creator: Spaceycoww January 3, 2012 10:27pm
21 posts - page 2 of 3
BrianTheLion
<Member>
BrianTheLion's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 7:48pm | Report
Alistar's charge or "push" skill can be used intelligently to your advantage. I like a lot.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 8:22pm | Report
m33bles wrote:

My only complaint with him is that he's really bad at minion farming until pretty late in the game, so if you don't get a couple kills or assists early you can fall behind in gold.

Why are you trying to farm minions early game? I believe Alistar is best played as a support, meaning you should have very little minion kills for the majority of the game (if you're split-pushing you might get some, but otherwise not much). Your gold should be coming from your gold/10 items and kills/assists/dragons. You don't need much gold to do your job on the team anyway.

Solo lane Alistar is a little different, but you should still be last-hitting for most of laning phase, not farming. By the time you should be farming, Pulverize and Trample will be enough.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
TheWeekndOVOXO
<Member>
TheWeekndOVOXO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 9:16pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

You are right. You will make me play my Alistar again one day. I just hate feeling the guilt when I lose games when I play Alistar. I have perhaps 0% win with Alistar in all the games I play and I feel like I'm at fault. Like I mentioned before, I can go as low as 0/3/19, or 0/7/2, where I'm dominating every lane and ganks, and where I get ganked too often (perhaps came from not warding enough). I might need more practice! I'm too used to Janna and Galio at this moment.
(Discontinued)
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:12pm | Report
Yup, probably need more wards.

And like I said, 0/3/19 is a great score for a support. Don't be so down when you don't get many kills. Kills are nice when they come your way, but you shouldn't really expect them. If you support your team to victory and don't feed, that's enough.

EDIT: Oh you meant that was an example of a good score. My bad :S
Snowfall
<Member>
Snowfall's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:34pm | Report
Alistar is amazing - I used to main him, but I started playing ranked. Too many idiots for Alistar to carry - If you're supporting in ranked, DO NOT PICK Alistar! Pick Janna / Sona / Soraka.
>> Signature by Bree & me <<
+Rep me if I was useful - Would explain why my rep is so low
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:36pm | Report
Alistar's a fine picked for ranked. The problem is you need coordination with your lane partner. Arranged teams or duo queue with both of you bot lane should work just fine.

The other supports you mentioned are easier to use to support a random teammate (who may or may not suck), but that doesn't make Alistar any less viable.
WaffleWarrior
<Member>
WaffleWarrior's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:41pm | Report
No psi. Alistar is not that great of a pick in ranked at low levels. he takes a lot more communication with your lane mate. That rarely happens. You have to know when to initiate and your partner has to know how to zone to a certain extent, so you can play alistar to full potential. The other supports are a lot easier to play because they dont take as much work.

Thanks for the amazing sigs Brynolf,JEFFY40HANDS, Katoki, and myself
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:46pm | Report
A good Alistar will not die much, but he will take loads of damage. He will be able to judge for how long he should stick around, and he should definitely avoid taking ALL the damage, since that just means he's not there for the rest of the fight. That's a lot of CC lost. Alistar should guard those on you team who are fed. Just keep within radius of your AP-Carry possibly on a killing-sprre (Which means them dying is a bad thing, obv.), and if distance-closers try to get the better of this person, simply be there, to teach them that they shouldn't mess with your little babies.

If your team is on the offense, you're free to initiate, as far as you're certain you're not jumping the ******* tank of the enemy team (i.e. Solo Top character (usually)), and make sure you are within range when you attempt the jump. There's nothing worse than wasting Pulverize on the ground, and then not being able to defend your carries properly in the case of an enemy counter attack.

Alistar is strong as **** if played properly - Don't dive alone, protect. Done doodle. And be somewhat tanky and healthy of course. Regular support items will do the trick. If the enemy has a lot of AD and distance closers - Frozen Heart. If the enemy has an overload of strong CC like Malz, WW, etc. get Quicksilver Sash.

/thread ?
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 12:22am | Report

No psi. Alistar is not that great of a pick in ranked at low levels. he takes a lot more communication with your lane mate. That rarely happens. You have to know when to initiate and your partner has to know how to zone to a certain extent, so you can play alistar to full potential. The other supports are a lot easier to play because they dont take as much work.

Could you read more than the first sentence of my post please? I just said he needs coordination. I just said that can be accomplished with an arranged team or a duo. I also never insinuated he was more viable at one elo or another. I think almost any champion that's viable at high elo can be played well at the lower levels as well if the player knows what to do with them.

EDIT: Also, easy to play =/= more viable, not in the slightest. Even a very difficult champion can be very viable in low levels in the hands of a competent player. If anything it should be "Alistar is not viable if your bot lane is incompetent", but then, who is?

And anyway, ALL champions can only have their potential unlocked at high elo. Alistar isn't a special case. Just because low elo players are doing it wrong doesn't mean he's a bad pick.
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 4:05am | Report
Alistar is used less than other supports because
- He has no team steroids
- He needs better coordination with lane partner

Still if you have kennen/skarner or any other guy that needs to stay the **** away from your team he's your man... or bull.. I'll go with manbull

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide