Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Help with early laning as kog'maw

Creator: PDPGTI September 20, 2011 6:50am
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 9:29am | Report
I sometimes start with Caustic Spittle because the bonus attack speed helps with last-hits.

With other ranged carries, you gotta know how to pressure them with Bio-Arcane Barrage.
-If solo'ing, you've gotta pressure them hard for the full 10 seconds and show them whose boss. Your DPS is more sustained for those 10 seconds then anything they can put out.
-If duo-laning, do the same as solo'ing only if your partner is backing you up.

BAB also makes last-hitting a lot easier, since you'll out-range most champion by level4~5.

Searz wrote:

Bloodrazor is a lategame item. Getting it before lategame is bad.

I generally build Madred's Razors early for the farming power.

On Kog'Maw, it's typically okay to rush Madred's Bloodrazors Bloodrazor as your core if you're also building horizontally for other items like Negatron Cloak, or Phage.

By mid game, all the tanks have some form of HP item, and you're pretty much the anti-tank artillery cannon. After killing squishies, you're the one who should be melting tanks into nothingness. It's Kog's style to melt everyone in general, so an early madred's is okay.

10% of anyone's health (before even counting your base-AA) is a big deal.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 9:34am | Report
JunSupport wrote:

I sometimes start with Caustic Spittle because the bonus attack speed helps with last-hits.

That's wrong on so many levels

It's called a last hit because you just get the last hit, just the one. If you attack them all the way down you'll just push the lane more...

You don't need attack speed to last hit better - AD does, but you shouldn't need that anyway.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 9:36am | Report
@Xenasis:

Posting before thinking again, are we?

Bonus attack speed accelerates the attack animation. Thus, improving your accuracy when attempting to last-hit because the response time is quicker.

Plus, there's the nice little active.

It's so very right on so many levels.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 9:53am | Report
@Jun

Kog'maw have one of the best attack animations in game. That attack speed is not gonna help any one. Better to get your E becouse it is an amazing pulling tool for you jungler.

And btw. Been experimenting with diffrent kog'maw builds. Triforce show's potential.

I am in the belief that bloodrazor is so overated on kog'maw. Ussaly go IE and PD combo. Just becouse you already have bloodrazor procs doesn't mean you shuld buy it...
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 9:58am | Report
JunSupport wrote:

@Xenasis:

Posting before thinking again, are we?

Bonus attack speed accelerates the attack animation. Thus, improving your accuracy when attempting to last-hit because the response time is quicker.

Plus, there's the nice little active.

It's so very right on so many levels.

I'll ignore the fact you insulted me and mention that Kog's attack animation is practically instant anyway (like Corki).

The active - I didn't say anything about. Read my post (and your own) before you attack me.

Your reasoning was -
"because the bonus attack speed helps with last-hits"

Yup.
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 10:02am | Report
Ohh one more thing. To all of you not maxing his E.

Do it! amazing for farming!
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 11:19am | Report
Yeah gonna have to agree that getting Caustic spittle to improve last hitting doesn't make as big of an impact as your other skills can make.

Bio arcane and Kogmaw puke will both contribute more towards a safer lane, which is what Kog needs because he's made of tissue paper and goes SPLAT.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 12:49pm | Report

Ohh one more thing. To all of you not maxing his E.

Do it! amazing for farming!

Yup.

@Jun
Rushing Bloodrazor on Kog is still not the best idea. You're usually better off rushing Wit's End or Malady.
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 6:53pm | Report
@PotatisFarfar:

Like I explained already, it's situational.

E can be good. Q has it's merits too. W is the usual "go-to" first point. Depends on the match-up's.

Even with the attack animation having been made easier to use, the extra attack speed does help.
Kog'Maw base attack speed isn't all that amazing.

You only THINK that bonus AS isn't helpful because you look down ranking up Q first in general.

edit:

And maxing Void Ooze first will strip you of all your mana very very quickly unless you're AP Kog'Maw.

Unless you're building Tear (which is apparently not bad, judging from an IEM game), it's not recommended.

@Xenasis:

I'm not insulting you. I'm criticizing your actions because I feel you're making a pattern.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2011 6:56pm | Report
AS marginally helps last hitting. With good management last hitting can be done just as well without bonus AS, but if there's two side-by-side last hits it's far easier to grab them if you have a bit of AS. AD will help last-hitting in general, though, because you'll be able to attack creeps with higher health and still get the last hit, and the creep generally won't be left with 1-2 health.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide