Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Jax : Laning problems

Creator: IrishFight23 September 18, 2011 6:10pm
1 2 3 4
IrishFight23
<Member>
IrishFight23's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 18, 2011 6:10pm | Report
I recently started playing LoL to relive the glories of Dota days long passed. It has been about 2 years and I've been trying out many Champions. Melee has always been first in my heart and it appears Jax may be the best melee Champion at this point.

I have been practicing in AI games and I am having an insanely difficult time laning in the early game and earning enough gold to make a difference in the mid game which is forcing me to jungle at around 8 to 12 to even be worth having in the late game.

I find myself getting pressured hard by Champions like Ashe and Ryze. Is Jax just ridiculously bad in the early game or am I doing something wrong? It has been awhile but I didn't remember melee being able to be pressured so hard immediately. Even in a double bottom lane with a support like Nocturne I still end up racking up 2 or 3 deaths by 8.

Any advice for a melee lover trying to lane in the early game? Jungle as soon as possible or is it just as simple as be careful and try to get in as many creep kbs as possible until I can make a difference?
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 18, 2011 6:43pm | Report
Jax is a end game hero. He shines when his build is done or close to being done.
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 12:44am | Report
Jag has an immense lane presence. But he needs to be passive aggressive. Works wonders in pvp since his w+q is a great mindgame harassment. Against AI you need to be aggressive, since they are, and the same game in lane doesn't work. Especially not if you're a melee and easily harassed.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 3:05am | Report
You shuld try taking a solo lane.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 8:45am | Report

Pretty much this.

With enough practice, you can destroy anyone in a 1v1 lane as Jax - he was made for 1v1 - and that's how you should use him!

Watch some of HotshotGG's Jax play if you're still struggling - a useful game would be -
http://iemgamescom.leagueoflegends.com/match/group-b-round-12-counter-logic-gaming-vs-frag-executors
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 9:57am | Report
Jax is no longer "great" in a solo lane because you can just zone him immediately with almost any champion ever since his ratios got obliterated. He's zero threat to a lot of the powerful solo laners out there now.

However, if your opponent makes the mistake of letting you farm, or picking a bad solo laner, and is scared of you, then Jax quickly will BECOME an amazing solo laner. It's just no longer inherent in the champion.

2-3 Doran's blades, a Guinsoo's, and a Gunblade is going to be pretty strong pretty early on with Jax. You don't really need full end game gear.

After that I'd probably get an Atma's.
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 10:04am | Report

probably doesn't exist at his level. If he just started playing, then it's not likely that he's playing with any junglers

Jax is a great laner actually. He has strong damage at level 1, and then his damage potential skyrockets once he hits level 6. He's great at counter harass since he can Leap Strike>AA on any champion that gets in range to harass, in most cases he'll do as much damage if not more in a trade-off, so he can secure an advantage pretty quickly. Although he's much better in a solo top lane, he can survive in a duo lane
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 10:23am | Report
Xenasis wrote:

With enough practice, you can destroy anyone in a 1v1 lane as Jax - he was made for 1v1 - and that's how you should use him!

Watch some of HotshotGG's Jax play if you're still struggling - a useful game would be -
http://iemgamescom.leagueoflegends.com/match/group-b-round-12-counter-logic-gaming-vs-frag-executors

Putting aside that I cant even begin to comprehend how ppl can get attached to some "idols" nevermind how insignificant they can be:
This video features... nothing that indicates how Jax can be used.
Just somebody laning for himself.

Jax is probably one of the easiest melees you can lane with.
Solo seems the better choice instead of going for duo.
Also (DuffTime mentioned it already) you´ll be helpless against champs who can heal themself steadily, are able to nuke you from afar or just are able to obliberate your creeps instantly and leaving you opposed to him + his creepwave.

But, if youre able to manage until lvl6 you can easily turn the tides in your favor stacking some of your ult and adding your 3rd strike in a Leap/Empower/Stun combination (making one hell of a mess even after nerfing him)

Also:
Opposing DuffTime´s idea I wouldnt go for Doran Blades early, even using Leap as your main harass, you arent supposed to autostrike your enemy down without a advantage and ofc without ulti (if he lets you ofc go for it..).
Grabbing Dorans Ring OR going for a Tome+pot giving you some burst on Stun and ult and also the SAME bonus dmg on Leap (comparing Dorans Blade and Ring) just for some tiny life steal you cant rly make use of... isnt worth it.
STRYKER29
<Member>
STRYKER29's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 10:42am | Report
Darcurse wrote:

Putting aside that I cant even begin to comprehend how ppl can get attached to some "idols" nevermind how insignificant they can be:
This video features... nothing that indicates how Jax can be used.
Just somebody laning for himself.

To begin with, you have no clue what you're talking about. Do you even realize the point of watching pro gamer's streams? Obviously they aren't going to sit there and walk you through an in depth study of the champ and how to play them. It's quite obvious that you are to watch how they play the champ, when they initiate and in what situations, how to properly last hit, how to have map awareness, what they build in certain situations, etc. THAT is when you start to learn how to play a champ.

No one ever said these guys are idols. If they were looked at that way, every pro guide on this site would be rated ~100% and it would be the top guide in every category. But guess what, they aren't. As a matter of fact some of them aren't even near the top 5. People realize that what works for one person's playstyle doesn't always work for everyone (keep that in mind when watching pro streams too). But just picking up on the way that they pay attention to minute details that so many others overlook is how you can begin to improve your game in the long run.

/rant

I was going to say more about what you posted, but I'm tired of typing now; plus, I need to get back to work...
Many an opportunity is lost because a man is out looking for four-leaf clovers. ~Author Unknown

When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work. ~George Bernard Shaw
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2011 11:06am | Report
Jax is still great at top lane. They only put away 30 DMG of his combo, not that much. Don't forget that Wriggle's Lantern is also a great item on jax, because with that and another Vampiric Scepter, you are like Udyr. Means, you sustain so much through attacks that you can't be outlaned. And you can farm free because of the proc. And you get Baron control. And...

Get that damn Wriggle's Lantern!

Good start for Jax is Cloth Armor + 5 Health Potion's against AD and Boots + 3 Health Potion's against AP.
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide