Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

LoL vs Dota2 vs HOTS [LOOKING TO SWITCH MOBAS]

Creator: Griffin December 8, 2015 7:47pm
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 1:38pm | Report
There was no reason to make the Stealth Ward almost as good as a Sightstone by buffing it and nerfing Sightstone's ward total. Adding insult to injury by also removing Stealth Wards from the shop was even more stupid. I really wish riot would stop messing with **** that doesn't need to be fixed.
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 5:47pm | Report
All that needed reworking was oracles imo
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
TheSofa
<Member>
TheSofa's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 6:30pm | Report
Hey, I'll give DotA a voice here...

I believe (personal opinion here), that if you're looking to switch over from HoTs, you'll like LoL more.

However, I'll give you a quick rundown of the pros and cons of each.

LoL (in my limited understanding)
Pros
  • Easier to pick up.
  • More Friends to play with (I'm serious)
  • Actually much more fun for the first 6-12 months of playing
  • Brighter, more cartoon(ish) graphics
  • Much more active -fire webpage.
  • Rewards you for playing.
Cons
  • Worse graphics (imo)
  • Can be frustrating to like a champ on rotation and not have enough IP to buy it
  • Community reputation for being toxic (hasn't been as bad as they say so far for me)

DotA 2 (Much fuller understanding for me
Pros
  • Realistic graphics, better imo
  • Much, much better tutorial system (with the arrival of Reborn)
  • Completely Free to play. All heroes are unlocked.
  • Higher focus on teamplay than League (imo, having watched competitive games for both Dota and League.
  • Much more pick-strategy focused than LoL but less actual gameplay focused (actually overall much more strategy focused, imo)
  • WAY WAY WAY better bots. The aI in DotA is just much better. There really isn't much to say. It took me a year and a half of playing to beat the highest level of bots (mostly because I suck, but yeah)
Cons
  • No friends :(
  • Much steeper learning curve
  • Tends to have longer games

The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 7:31pm | Report
All that needed reworking was oracles imo
I agree
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 8:25pm | Report
If you like HOTS I'd suggest to stick with it.

League will require you to grind game after game and be an excellent player if you want to do anything successful in it without spending years, and is by far the worst game to pick up if you don't have time.

Dota has a different style of graphics than League or HOTS but there is much less of a barrier to compete in it if you are a decent player.

Riot's balancing may not be bad, but they love introducing completely new metas and actively trying to shake things up routinely which is a pain in the ***, and the rate at which they introduce champions is also a pain in the ***.

I haven't played enough Dota to really say much about strategy, but it seems much more strategically diverse than League. League is basically a bunch of champions that are all extremely similar or have things borrowed from other champions kits but are better/worse. There are very very few truly unique champions in the game, as opposed to HOTS and Dota.

Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 9:02pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
HotS, LoL and DotA are basically on a spectrum from simple to complicated. If you like HotS, you'd probably like LoL more than DotA.
Pretty much this.

As a side note, Blizzard likes to call HotS a "hero brawler" instead of a regular MOBA. I guess that's because it's closer to typical fighting games, since the snowballing isn't very noticeable (you can't get too much advantage as your only advantage comes from team-wide levels), but I like the distinction because item advantage/customisation and single player advantage are such major drivers of LoL, at least to me, and I'm guessing it's the same for DotA.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 9:09pm | Report
There was no reason to make the Stealth Ward almost as good as a Sightstone by buffing it and nerfing Sightstone's ward total. Adding insult to injury by also removing Stealth Wards from the shop was even more stupid. I really wish riot would stop messing with **** that doesn't need to be fixed.

I'd say it's more like, There was no reason to make Sightstone alost as bad as Stealth Ward
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 9:36pm | Report
utopus wrote:

I'd say it's more like, There was no reason to make Sightstone alost as bad as Stealth Ward
same difference :P
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2015 12:38am | Report
I exclusively play support and I don't mind or dislike the vision changes at all.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2015 1:41am | Report
While were on the topic, wards don't exist in HotS.
In League however you might want to pink baron occasionally if it gets killed

Basically MOBAFire.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide