Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Losing Ranked Points for Leaving

Creator: sirell February 13, 2013 6:08am
Fair to lose points for queue dodging.
Totallynotn00b
<Guide Critic>
Totallynotn00b's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 8:03am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen. That 1) doesn't sound like anything Riot would let its employees post and 2) has nothing to do with losing league points when someone dodges a ranked game.

This would, however, be a fine justification for adding in a longer wait time after dodging a Dominion game.

Although technically I could get on my high horse and berate you for A) doubting my word and b) not keeping up to date with LoL news, I'll simply state this:

You, sir, owe me a cookie.
Although no pics, I saw it on surrender@20.

Here's the post in question:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=34516210#post34516210

But to quote:
Quoted:

"One group of players we also need to take into consideration are those who want to play the game. There are times when I have a perfect team and the other side queue dodged (for whatever reasons), and this really sucks for me. Now if this happens 7 times in a row, it would really make me feel bad. This is not without history, we have seen last year when the Dominion queue dodge system failed to enforce queue penalty for months, the consequences of that bug were devastating. It will take 7-8 tries before a player can successfully launch a game. Once we fixed the dodge penalty bug, the number of tries needed to launch a game dropped dramatically. "

So, unless i have fundamentally misseed something:

Yes, he was talking about ARAM, yes he was talking about Dominion.
That's my point. He's bringing in these points into a thread specifically asking about dodge penalties and the loss of LP.

So yeah. <.>
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 8:23am | Report
i agree with penalisation. i just don't agree with its policy. the system only checks for queuedodge and i think too often such practice is justified. you shouldn't wait for being in champ select to decide what will you play (role/champ/etc) and having your teammattes counterpicking themselves and still going balls deep is reason enough for me to have a queue dodge.

riot is taking the problem from the wrong side. punishing something doesn't help avoid it (as proven by many intances of crime in our society) as much as other actions and this requires understanding the issue, something riot has not done.

Sig made by Tamy
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 9:01am | Report
The thing I have a particular dislike with is that a single dodge during promotion matches = automatic DQ. I would rather they counted it as just a loss if anything, not an instant DQ. Not to mention that Riot didn't really do a great job of putting this fact out there. I had to search quite thoroughly to get details on this new system. I wasn't even aware of it until this morning.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 9:27am | Report
i think we all agree riot is rather unprofessional at many things. ^^'

btw, if this is supposed to be a sport, shouldn't there be a rulebook for competitive play? :P

As requested to GMD himself.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 12:07pm | Report

So, unless i have fundamentally misseed something:

Yes, he was talking about ARAM, yes he was talking about Dominion.
That's my point. He's bringing in these points into a thread specifically asking about dodge penalties and the loss of LP.

I think you might have. He seems to be saying that Dominion, for several months, was not enforcing any sort of penalty for dodging queue, resulting in near-constant dodging. This is bad, and I can absolutely understand why Riot would want to do something about it. And he seems to be using this as an example of why some sort of dodge penalty is really required for the game to function in a way that's even remotely fun. I mean, from my own experience, it's extremely frustrating to get a group of players who aren't having problems with wanting the same roles and seem to be getting along well (which hopefully means that we'll all play together well), only to have someone on the enemy team dodge. Especially when this happens several times in a row. (My personal record is 12 consecutive dodges. I didn't even want to play any more by the end.)

The loss of LP doesn't seem that bad as a dodge penalty, honestly. In my experience, you lose less LP from a dodge than you do from losing a game. This compares extremely favorably to the early S2 dodge penalty system, where you'd lose 10-12 Elo every time you dodged, in addition to having a waiting period before you could queue again. (Although it had the interesting feature of allowing people to artificially lower their Elo if they wanted.)

@Sirell: I don't really mind it being an immediate disqualification from a division or promotion series. Yes, it's harsh, but dealing with trolls and ragers is part of solo/duo queue. Even if the system only penalized you with a loss, it's still always preferable to actually play the game, because the chances of winning a game are only above 0% if you actually play it.

But yes, Riot did not make it clear that dodging while in one of these series is an automatic disqualification, and that is a problem. The easiest solution to which is just to advertise the fact better.

@Pheyniex: It's called the Summoner's Code. No one really reads it.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 12:20pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

@Pheyniex: It's called the Summoner's Code. No one really reads it.

that only mentions a player's general behavior, not what role/stratagies/itemization are seen as legitimate for a favorable outcome in the game. I pray for the day when someone instalocks Volibear and afterwards says he's supporting after 3 queue dodges recieves a serious warning.
you can't play seriously or competitively if people keep doing it.

Sig made by elenah
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 12:31pm | Report
All I know is it won't keep me from dodging. I'd rather spend half an hour doing something productive and lose a few points than spend half an hour being miserable and losing even more points.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 1:11pm | Report
Pheyniex wrote:

that only mentions a player's general behavior, not what role/stratagies/itemization are seen as legitimate for a favorable outcome in the game. I pray for the day when someone instalocks Volibear and afterwards says he's supporting after 3 queue dodges recieves a serious warning.
you can't play seriously or competitively if people keep doing it.

There will never be one of these things. The rules of the game (which the people who make the game can control) are different from the way the game is played (which no one can control). This is true for all games. It's not reasonable to blame Riot for not putting out a manual on what is considered the "right" way to play the game when other sports don't behave similarly. Yes, there's a that that's considered the "right" way to play every sport, but that way isn't "right" for any official reason, it's "right" because trial and error has shown it to be superior to other ways of playing the game (that people have tried).

Honestly, the problems with LoL don't include the fact that there isn't an official "here's the right way to play this champion" publication (at least partially because there isn't a single right way to play the game that works for every game). A lot of it is just the open-ness of the platform and its youth.

To address your Volibear example, that sort of thing would be extremely hard to police for. Perhaps Riot could look at players whose teammates dodge extremely often, but I don't know how effective it would be. Unfortunately, any way to report players who you haven't just played a game with is way too open to abuse.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 1:38pm | Report
All those talking misses the whole point:

Being punished for dodging like this is totally fair and shouldn't be discussed about in any way.
What's not "fair" is the reason why ppl are dodging!

No, I'm not bashing on all those bloody noobs who doesn't know a damn thing but still join in on ranked in order to let 4/9 others waste another 30-50min sequence of their life, I'm talking about all those ****ing a**holes out there who are just that: ****ing a**holes.

LoL is F2P, successful, famous, competetive and in nice fluffy colors.

What exactly is attracted by those things?

Right!

Little - in mind and sometimes in body too - 12 years old ******** who don't even have one inch of balls to assert themselves in real life, so they abuse the internet in order "to be" somebody greater than the tiny little miserable version they actually are.

And gaming companies can't, or to be precisely for most cases, don't want to fix this, since they would cut off customers this way.

Ways to fix this? Zero.

Solution:
Get into gold ranking or above only in order TO PLAY THIS GAME NORMALLY, on a "normal" level of ******ness.
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2013 1:45pm | Report
Not sure where your argument was there Darcurse... You kinda just said random things about noobs and I feel like you were QQing but I can't really tell. Then you said some contradictory statements and then I believe you may have talked in Swedish for a little bit.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide