Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire faking viewers on twitch?

Creator: TheBlueReaper June 12, 2013 3:43am
Hectikk
<Assistant Production Manager>
Hectikk's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 10:13pm | Report
@DemonRyou: This is exactly what we wanted to happen and have mostly achieved, thanks for the positive comment. :)
Anonandonandon
<Member>
Anonandonandon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 10:30pm | Report
Matt wrote:

The sidebar version was playing for the same reason. Having it play is eye-catching, our hope was that people would be curious and click through. Unfortunately it's difficult to track such metrics and objectively determine its success, but in the short time that it has been up, our followers and natural viewership has definitely grown. Certainly no one is being forced to follow or join the chat, but they were.

This reasoning kind of falls apart when the stream is also auto-muted. You want to draw attention, but don't use the easiest way to do so by having the stream volume start at 0?

It's the combination of the stream being set to auto-play and auto-mute and not being presented prominently that makes this all seem so shady, and makes your logic as to why it was done so questionable.

Matt wrote:
Up until last night the response has been positive, people in chat were enjoying themselves, the streamers were loving the exposure and lining up for a chance to join in, complaints were few and far between.

That's ********. Within days of the MobaTV stream starting threads were on the top of the LOL subreddit regarding how your implementation of the stream on the site was artificially inflating your viewer count. SivHD may have been the loudest voice so far, but he is by far the first.

I cannot comprehend why you would have to put any serious thought into where you should go from here. Turn the auto-play off, allow your viewer numbers to be accurately reflected and this all ends. No one will continue to feel as if you're cheating the system, less popular streamers won't feel so **** on by underhanded tactics, and everyone will go back to making jokes about the AP Garen guides that this site used to proclaim were the very best in League of Legends strategy.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 10:35pm | Report

and everyone will go back to making jokes about the AP Garen guides that this site used to proclaim were the very best in League of Legends strategy.

hey, i went 8/6 as ap garen one game.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
DemonRyou
<Member>
DemonRyou's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 11:13pm | Report
Just went through the guides for Garen, not a single one of the item builds even suggest going AP. Such as the speculation of "botting/faking views" was merely a speculation, MOBAFire's guide authenticity and quality being bad is also merely a speculation.

And as for the auto-mute, MOBAFire probably doesn't want to disturb or annoy the site visitor's experience by forcing them to mute a stream.

"Then don't auto-play the stream at all" Why not? They have the option to and it is to catch the eye.

Even though I'm still posting this, let's just ignore this thread, turn our attention to the official statement made, and let flamers flame.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 11:35pm | Report
Demon: The AP Garen guide was written maybe three years ago, as a joke by one of our veterans at the time. As a community we loved it, because it was so crazy and non-viable. Something like Deathcap, Rod of Ages etc etc.

The problem is, outsiders hear something negative and keep to it. Even if the AP Garen guide was in the HUMOUR section of MobaFire, people just latched on to the fact that there was an AP Garen guide.

AP Garen guide therefore MobaFire is bad!

Anything taken out of context can seem bad. But it's when people spread the word about something completely out of context, that's when incorrect speculation spreads.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 11:46pm | Report

Well, just as I though.Too bad all of Siv's fanboys/girls are gonna start trashing on MOBAFire now.

sivHD is ******idly bad and not even funny, so the fact that he doesnt like mobafire, makes me like mobafire even more
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Anonandonandon
<Member>
Anonandonandon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:25am | Report
DemonRyou wrote:

Just went through the guides for Garen, not a single one of the item builds even suggest going AP. Such as the speculation of "botting/faking views" was merely a speculation, MOBAFire's guide authenticity and quality being bad is also merely a speculation.

The AP Garen guide was some time ago. Back then the guides were absolutely horrible, and despite what the vapid ***** jhoijhoi says, it was not in any humour section, as there was no humour section. It was a top rated guide, as was an AD Yi build that suggested 4 PD + BT + Zerks was the best build. Or the AD Nunu build. All MOBAfire used to be was troll builds that the new players who are drawn to this site due to Google rankings thought were totally serious. And that is where MOBAfire's reputation as the most ridiculous and useless guide site came from. It's not speculation, it's reality. MOBAfire's reputation was so bad at one point that CLG gave up on their partnership mid-swing and just stopped having anything to do with the site beyond trashing it on their streams for a week.

Now things most certainly have changed, and the quality of the guides here is infinitely better than they used to be. Which is why this decision to piss off the majority of the League of Legends community is so odd to me. They just started getting some good-will back, people were just starting to come around and understand that things had changed, and now this. I find it mind-boggling why MOBAfire would shoot themselves in the foot.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:32am | Report

MOBAfire's reputation was so bad at one point that CLG gave up on their partnership mid-swing and just stopped having anything to do with the site beyond trashing it on their streams for a week.

not true in the slightest

there was also problems with CLG's guides, like they were poorly written, offered no insight, and really didn't respond to the feedback. There probably more at fault because they were hired to make quality guides and failed to do so

trust me, I was an active member on the site when this happened
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:33am | Report
How have they shot themselves in the foot? accusations brought about by a misunderstanding? Like Matt said they spoke with Twitch and Twitch had no problems with it and other sites do it so why can't MobaFire? If you rage at MobaFire why not rage at the other sites? also the streams are a great way for newer members to see that the vets that are constantly giving advice aren't just ********ting they actually know what they are talking about? If the LoL community wants to follow Siv well then more fool them not using the great resource MobaFire is.
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:36am | Report
Wow, vapid *****? That's something I haven't been called before :P
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig unintentional collab with Jovy and me ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide