Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Path 4.4 analysis

Creator: Vynertje March 17, 2014 2:37pm
1 2 3
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 2:37pm | Report
Hi guys,

patch 4.4 is about to go live in two days, and the patch notes have just been released. In this thread I'll be going through all the major changes and giving you my expectations of how the changes will affect gameplay. If you haven't seen the patch notes, go here.

TL/DR: Kassadin changes (probably a nerf but insane mobility buff), Annie might be seen as mid again but no longer support, Elise and Vi no longer must bans, Kog'Maw still quite useless, Lich Bane nerfs kill Twisted Fate and Fizz in the progress. Wriggle's Lantern still useless as well.

The Kassadin changes are huge. We've only just seen what the first bunch of nerfs has done to him and now he's majorly reworked. Basically, I predict that he won't be a 100% pick/ban anymore - his laning is a bit safer against mages but against melee champions with primarily physical damage output it will be worse. His late game will be affected a bit though, his ult cooldown down to only 3 seconds at level 3 is massive, but the damage will probably be a lot lower. It definitely is a nerf though compared to his previous state.

I feel like these nerfs were unnecessary. We've already seen a decline in her play, with especially Leona and Morgana becoming more popular and I'd much rather see leona/thresh getting some nerfs. Anyway, the changes might result in Annie becoming a relatively popular mid pick again. I think she'll start dying out as a support as a result of that as well.

Direct nerf. To be honest, she needed it because her full combo rotation was way too powerful at any stage of the game. I feel like they might have gone a little bit too far by nerfing her E as well (because it was only used as a level 1 tool, and there's no way people will max it before level 13). She'll still be a pretty good jungler but perhaps no longer tier-1.

He really needed some buffs. The buff to his Q is good but I'm really interested in seeing how the new projectile works. I don't think people will start maxing it first because of it being a single-target skillshot (probably will be quite unreliable). Changing his W to have no mana costs is great (just as they did with some other on-hit stuff) and really necessary. I don't think he'll be that good still because of his horrible laning, but at least a lot better than before.

Pretty much same as with elise, the other god-tier jungler. Needed some nerfs and this is probably all she really needed. Just as with Elise she'll still be a very solid jungler but no longer a must-ban. The extra cooldown on her level 1 and 2 ult will mean she can't just repeatedly get kill-guaranteed ganks after hitting 6.

I feel like the nerfs were justified but it probably killed Twisted Fate and Fizz in the progress. These champions will probably need a little bit more than a 0.1 increase to their AP ratio's on a single spell to make up for it. Lulu mid might still be viable but again, definitely not a priority pick. I'm really glad they didn't touch her numbers as a support anyway.
Also, I was quite surprised that they buffed diana a bit because I've never seen her running a Lich bane.

The stats it gives are a bit better now for the types of junglers that'd be buying it, but I still feel like it isn't worth buying over the spirit items, will need to wait for patch 4.5 for real changes.

EDIT: I forgot about the teleport changes. It definitely is a buff for top laners. I'd not be surprised if it would have a quite big impact on the top lane meta. A lot of champions that scale well into late game will now be able to use it against lane bullies a lot more effectively. Malphite might become more popular because he works great with teleport already.
Ireliavent
<Member>
Ireliavent's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:16pm | Report
I'm unsure about the Kassadin... He got nerfed while getting buffed. Seems like Tear of the Goddess will be a more frequent item on him
Thanks to Ubnoxius for the signatures! Please check out his workshop!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:23pm | Report
Agree pretty much about everything, except that I don't think the Lich Bane nerf will affect Lulu that hard. She's still such a solid laner with tons of utility. The Diana buff was kinda cute, and ironic since most Diana players favored Nashor's Tooth over lich bane.

I think the Kog W buff might really make his lane phase suck less, that range increase can allow some unpunished poke now. Will have to see.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:28pm | Report
Kassadin still seems incredibly strong to me; high burst and still pretty good utility packed in it.

Annie ners weren't necessary imo but aren't that unjustified either. I doubt she'll see more play in mid as her kit simply doesn't fit the meta for mid laners. Additionally, her burst isnt higher than popular picks.

Elise nerfs were necessary, I agree. They seem a tad harsh but the late-game buffs seem to balance it out in a lot of ways.

Kog'Maw Great buffs but probably won't make him top tier as he still has no escape nor mobility. Although protect the Kog comp might become more viable now.

Vi Ban her every game and probably still will. The damage nerfs aren't huge and that ult is still too much of a "press R to win game" move to me.

Lich Bane I don't even know it anymore. Suddenly it's based on Base AD which is stupid and horribly complicated. They did give every Lich champ a buff to compensate.. so what was the point again? Now TF can rush Zhonya and be just as strong as before?
drakon136
<Member>
drakon136's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:30pm | Report
Lich Bane changes were because Riot was constantly having to nerf the champions that used it, and they figured it was better to nerf the item than to keep nerfing the champions.

This, as we all know, is a load of **** and we also know that they will continue nerfing the Lich Bane users whenever they get the chance.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:32pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

Agree pretty much about everything, except that I don't think the Lich Bane nerf will affect Lulu that hard. She's still such a solid laner with tons of utility. The Diana buff was kinda cute, and ironic since most Diana players favored Nashor's Tooth over lich bane.

Her core is Abyssal Mask into Zhonya's Hourglass and Void Staff anyway. The passive buff is huge for her. Lich was always a luxury item.
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:40pm | Report
I'll be honest and say I think kassadin is prettttty bad now. They made his pre 6 laning even worse and he has to go into melee range to do the same damage he used to do. Not a fan.
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:42pm | Report

Her core is Abyssal Mask into Zhonya's Hourglass and Void Staff anyway. The passive buff is huge for her. Lich was always a luxury item.

Top Dianas like Voyboy tend to rush Nashor's Tooth into the core items you posted, since they do rely on the atkspd and passive of it on top lane.
Mid Dianas will keep the core you stated I guess, tho Lichbane wasn't rlly a core and even as a luxury items most ppl choose something else over it ;D
Cooper112
<Member>
Cooper112's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:50pm | Report
Kass still op man 3 sec kd on ult late game so 3 sec cd flash wow...

Diana prob got biggest buff since most dianas actually never built litch unless they snowballed most time I went for hour glass and dc and nashers.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 17, 2014 3:58pm | Report
xIchi wrote:

Top Dianas like Voyboy tend to rush Nashor's Tooth into the core items you posted, since they do rely on the atkspd and passive of it on top lane.
Mid Dianas will keep the core you stated I guess, tho Lichbane wasn't rlly a core and even as a luxury items most ppl choose something else over it ;D

Don't really know anything regarding top Diana, but Nashor's rush makes sense in top.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide