Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2015 8:18am | Report
Yea and utility has mostly been what fits my personal playstyle best for a while. I mean, back in day (as in Season 1) I played full AP Soraka and climbed a bit fairly easily, but it was honestly luck and very few games played as opposed to skill. I really haven't felt like much of my efforts really did anything since about season 3, which kinda sucks because I was honestly way more trash back then.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2015 8:21am | Report
Then just stick by utility, but keep in mind that utility =/= passiveness. Soraka is perhaps the only support that is supposed to be standing 9 miles behind her adc. Even as a utility support, you often need to make proactive moves yourself; ranging from initiating trades as Janna/Nami using long range and shields to come out on top to flash+ulting as sona to engage.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2015 8:34am | Report
I've always been fairly passive and I'm doing my best to fix it. I used to be the kind of player who rarely outright lost the lane because I would just counter-poke and fumble enemy initiations, but rarely won the lane either because I really never made any effort to abuse people for mistakes I was aware I could abuse them for. It's difficult to change, because I'm honestly just a passive person, but it's getting better.
Sarixis
<Member>
Sarixis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2015 1:16pm | Report
Out of curiosity, what do you consider Nami's core weaknesses that keep her from being a better pick?
Out Of Pancakes
<Inhouse Addict>
Out Of Pancakes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2015 1:51pm | Report
Are the sightstone + support item really that good?

About the ones with Targon's and Medallion: I think I'd never give up the Talisman active for the tier 2 sightstone and FotM is really nice in some cases. Am I wrong?

On who would you get the AP sightstone?
After seeing FQC active in action, I find it to be quite decent, thoughts?

To sum it up: I don't really know how good the tier 2 sightstones are, compared to the tier 3 support item actives.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 16, 2015 1:04am | Report
Sarixis wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you consider Nami's core weaknesses that keep her from being a better pick?

She needs to snowball lane pretty badly because her heals/slows scale very poorly and her late game CC is super unreliable. So, while she's a really strong laner (she has the best trading tool in the game with her W), she still has a few problems which can even hurt her laning phase, amongst which her high mana costs and low mobility.

Are the sightstone + support item really that good?

About the ones with Targon's and Medallion: I think I'd never give up the Talisman active for the tier 2 sightstone and FotM is really nice in some cases. Am I wrong?

On who would you get the AP sightstone?
After seeing FQC active in action, I find it to be quite decent, thoughts?

To sum it up: I don't really know how good the tier 2 sightstones are, compared to the tier 3 support item actives.

I've skipped Talisman of ascension from time to time on Soraka and Janna but in general, I agree that the sightstone upgrades are quite underwhelming as they only offer further slot efficiency instead of having extra benefits in one way or another.

Right now, I think the FQC active is quite decent. I ended up getting it (FQC) from time to time because:

1. The extra gold generation also found on Eye of the Watchers is so good, it isn't really worth to just sit on Sightstone + Spellthief's Edge any more

2. The choice you have to make is between having a decent active and better slot efficiency, which is kind of a no-brainer for a support (as you're generally not really getting up to 6 slots anyway).

The active is still somewhat hit-or-miss on most champions but it's much better than having nothing at all.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2015 10:03am | Report
I've been noticing a potentially disturbing trend. People are loving FQC's active so much that they are building it on some bizarre choices of champions. The craziest one I've seen are multiple different Sorakas. This is particularly crazy, since health regen is so important on Soraka and the talisman of ascension has +150% base health regen. Now, these are mid silver players, so it might not be representing the general population, but if FQC is crowding out the talisman of ascension on a character like Soraka, it won't surprise me if FQC's active gets nerfed a bit.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2015 10:09am | Report
It's definitely because it's mid silver. I see that **** all the time in silver 1. It has yet to seem impactful.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2015 2:01pm | Report
MungoGeri wrote:
I've been noticing a potentially disturbing trend. People are loving FQC's active so much that they are building it on some bizarre choices of champions. The craziest one I've seen are multiple different Sorakas. This is particularly crazy, since health regen is so important on Soraka and the talisman of ascension has +150% base health regen. Now, these are mid silver players, so it might not be representing the general population, but if FQC is crowding out the talisman of ascension on a character like Soraka, it won't surprise me if FQC's active gets nerfed a bit.

It's definitely because it's mid silver. I see that **** all the time in silver 1. It has yet to seem impactful.

Yeah silver is just trash with regards to builds so don't take anything from it. It is delusional to draw conclusions from what you see out there. I know this sounds harsh, but it's reality.

The active isn't bad, I think it's relatively well balanced. If there's one thing I'd nerf on FQC, it's the gold income.
HighTide29
<Member>
HighTide29's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 8:38am | Report
As a support player, I have been through tons of games that involved me getting my ADC to the point where they are more than fed or at least decently fed. Then what happens is a different enemy lane gets fed and it seems everything goes down hill from there-even if we have an ADC that is far ahead.

My questions are:

How would you mitigate this as a support player?

Would it be detrimental to leave bot lane for a little while to roam mid or top? Shen is a great example of this roam because of his Stand United.

I may be a Silver, but my friends say otherwise-including a Diamond friend-and it is so frustrating because climbing is nearly impossible as a support main because IMO, not even a support can turn the tide of a match when a player A) continuously dies-Silver players never adapt, or B) starts to tilt/rage because the jungle didn't do their job or no one came to help.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide