Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
songeur
<Member>
songeur's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2015 7:31am | Report
Suddenly everyone in my game plays Nautilus supp. Can you tell me why this is happening and why he suddenly is a good pick?
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2015 7:50am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
Generally I'd advice against picking Karma in general, she just isn't such a good support overall right now.

Carries with good synergy are either movement speed based champs like Sivir or heavy poke champions like Caitlyn

She's a somewhat decent pick against champions that can easily be kited (think the likes of Thresh) or in heavy movement speed engage comps (something like heca+sivir)

Thanks for your response! I was enlightened (Sorry I can't, I just can't.) by your teachings! +Rep for you!
Sig made by me!

Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2015 11:14am | Report
Question:
When I am forced to support - have been buying +gold item, 2 potions, and 1 Ward (not the free one).
I take the +40 starting gold mastery.

I read earlier that "you should always buy 3 health potions".

Should I quit buying the ward and buy the 3rd potion instead?
I used to care about KDA, now I care about CS and Objectives.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2015 11:34am | Report
There are very few situations where it's actually good to take a Stealth Ward as your starting item. Stealth Wards should give you enough vision in most cases, and while they can't give you as much gank safety compared to a Stealth Ward, you lose out on a lot of dueling presence by coming to lane with two fewer potions compared to your opponent's support.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2015 1:07pm | Report
Ixtellor wrote:
Question:
When I am forced to support - have been buying +gold item, 2 potions, and 1 Ward (not the free one).

I agree with utopus.

On really tanky champions (0-21-9) like Braum I end up with 3 Total Biscuit of Rejuvenation.

On champions I go deeper into the utility tree (say 0-14-16) on like Morgana I "buy" 3 Total Biscuit of Rejuvenation and 1 Mana Potion or 3 Health Potions and 1 Mana Potion depending on how I have my masteries setup. Frequently I don't use the mana potion, but when you need it you tend to really need it.

You warding totem plus your ADC's Stealth Ward will get you by until you can pick up a Sightstone. Or if you don't go back to lane with enough gold to pick up a Sightstone I prioritize:

Potions (I usually purchase 2 at time on my backs during laning, 3 if we are really taking a beating).
Vision (If I think I can keep a Vision Ward alive for a while I'll tend to grab one of these)
Support Item Upgrade (some people put this higher on the priority list than I do).

Knowing you have the sustain to play aggressively is a fairly big deal in bot lane since you typically want to push your lane opponents into their tower so they have to fight the tower for their farm while taking harass from you and your laning partner.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 1, 2015 3:18am | Report
Ixtellor wrote:
Question:

Yes, I always go 3 potions + 1 mana potion on ranged/poke supports and 4 health pots on more tanky/aggressive supports. If you're only able to buy 3 potions due to mastery setup, go 3x health pot.
Literally never ever gotten a ward on startup.

One argument people use for getting a ward on startup is that you cannot both ward lane brushes and river at the same time with trinkets only, but you simply use your trinket in the river when pushing (when you don't need the brush warded) or in lane when you're the one getting pushed. There are just very few scenario's in which you'd actually need more than just your trinket on startup. Another part of the reasoning is as follows:

Quoted:

Keep in mind that as a support you should always have at least 3 health potions at level 1, while the enemy adc has only 1. This means that you can trade hits with the enemy ADC and come out on top because you have more potions. That's why supports usually decide how the early game in bot lane will go, rather than ADCs.

If you only have one or two potions you'll see that your ability to trade with the enemy is significantly worsened. Virtually you have 300 hp less than your enemy which can lose you the lane purely based on your first purchases. Of course, at lower elo's you won't get punished as hard for it, but if you're aware of this yourself you can use it to punish the enemy yourself.

songeur wrote:
Suddenly everyone in my game plays Nautilus supp. Can you tell me why this is happening and why he suddenly is a good pick?

Short answer is that the meta shift works in his favour, but he also got a couple of buffs that make him more useful as a support (E buff most noticeably). He always had the tools to be a good support but just didn't have the numbers and meta to really fit in compared to other supports.
Firehusary
<Member>
Firehusary's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2015 4:13am | Report
What's your thoughts about Zyra supp?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 12:33am | Report
Firehusary wrote:
What's your thoughts about Zyra supp?

(I'm writing this from the hospital so I hope this makes sense)

Zyra has too many core flaws right now. Even in good matchups she can just get blown up at random moments because she's so squishy. Her play style requires her to push but she's extremely susceptible to ganks. She is also very item dependent if she wants to stay relevant in late game (liandry's is an absolute must to have an impact).
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 12:57am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

(I'm writing this from the hospital so I hope this makes sense)

Zyra has too many core flaws right now. Even in good matchups she can just get blown up at random moments because she's so squishy. Her play style requires her to push but she's extremely susceptible to ganks. She is also very item dependent if she wants to stay relevant in late game (liandry's is an absolute must to have an impact).

Why are you in the hospital? Why is everyone at hospital these days?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2015 2:03am | Report
Janitsu wrote:

Why are you in the hospital? Why is everyone at hospital these days?

I think they call it appendicitis in English, had to undergo surgery because of that.

Also idk.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide