Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
I want to be a Blitzball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 4:39am | Report
Forgot to ask these three above.

1. Thoughts on Kennen? Used to be one of my favorite supports to play along Naut. Does the meta not favor him anymore?
2. FOTM or Eye of the Equinox? Seen players build either one on Ali/Trundle. Do the other 'Eyestones' have any value?
3. How strong would you rate Sona? Favorable times to pick her?

Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 4:52am | Report
I'm uploading a gameplay video of Trundle support right now; it should be live in 2-3 hours. It doesn't have commentary but I may get to that soon-ish. It's based on this game: http://matchhistory.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/EUW1/2462165651/29513678?tab=stats&participant=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQqgPgROS8&feature=youtu.be

Also, to your questions:

1. Mediocre unless paired with Kalista
2. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer FOTM for the shield and CDR, but Eye of the Equinox allows greater slot efficiency and allows you to build into other items faster (because you don't have to build gold income AND sightstone items; essentially saves you a bit of gold and time).
3. Decent but you really need to destroy during laning phase because her late game tools are very mediocre (unless you get god-tier flash-ults). She's good versus low range and low hard-engage lanes (i.e. vayne thresh)

I'll answer more in-depth once Im done uploading the video because it eats all my bandwidth atm, and loading mobafire takes 2+ minutes this way
redash21
<Member>
redash21's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 10:01am | Report
Hi again,

I was experimenting with Refillable Potion with Support Brand and find that it works quite well with Sightstone - when Support return to base for wards recharge.

From your experience,
(1) What is your thoughts on Refillable Potion for a Support?
(2) Any situations where Health Potions are better than Refillable Potion for Support?
(3) Any considerations to NOT to take Refillable Potion as a Support?
(4) Is Faerie Charm a viable STARTING ITEM (so that I can rush for Frostfang) if the enemy is weak in burst/crowd control?
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 11:19am | Report
1. I really like refillable potion. It especially benefits supports that will need the extra healing each time they recall, like Soraka.

2. Health potions are usually better as the starting items; You'll need the extra sustain that you'll get from the health potions compared to Refillable Potion to dominate your lane.

3. I guess pink wards are more important than getting the gold advantage from Refillable Potion/

4. If you're playing someone with stupid high sustain like Nami, there's a 95% chance i'll say no.
If you're not playing someone with stupid high sustain, there's a 100% chance i'll say no
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 12:22pm | Report
No, refillable potion sucks for a support. You give up way to much early game sustain by going that. I don't really think it's worth getting as second item either.

Consideration is the following:
The healing value is about 1.5 cookie, which really limits you in the early laning phase (especially pre-first base when you can start with 3 pots). Having more pots simply means you can play more aggressively without getting ****ed. It can allow you to force the enemy an early base whereas you can stay for a bf-sword or something alike. Getting too little sustain, especially early game, will lead to item and xp-disadvantages because you cannot choose your bases as freely.

So sure, it can work, but I'm not expecting it to become a good support thing.

Also, 4. no, no matter what the champ.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 12:27pm | Report
Hey Vyn. Just had my first Trundle support while I was playing ADC. While it seemed to work better as the game progressed, we were having issues in lane (for reference I was Quinn, vs Vayne and Leona).

How are you supposed to... lane with him? What do you max? Also how would you itemize him? Generic support tank stuff, or more aggro tank options like Deadmans?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 12:46pm | Report
Hey Vyn. Just had my first Trundle support while I was playing ADC. While it seemed to work better as the game progressed, we were having issues in lane (for reference I was Quinn, vs Vayne and Leona).

How are you supposed to... lane with him? What do you max? Also how would you itemize him? Generic support tank stuff, or more aggro tank options like Deadmans?

^ Gameplay video, I have recorded a commentary version of this but it takes all my bandwidth to upload so I'll do that tonight (4 hours from now max)

Laning phase is just fishing for good pillars and short trades, kill potential on trundle is mediocre compared to some others. You're just trying to knock someone up and into you and force a trade that way, but you can also AA-Q (use the AA-reset) on melee champions for short trades if you can get in range. Finally you can pin someone against the wall so he has to walk all the way around and fight that way.

Itemization is generic support tank with a focus on 40% cdr, dead man's plate is a waste because the stats are mediocre compared to randuins/fh.
redash21
<Member>
redash21's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 10:51pm | Report
Hi once again,

You are right on refillable potion, after trying out a few more games, I find its value drops post level 6 and it takes up an item slot for Vision Ward during mid games. Health Potion is better especially with Secret Stash .

Some more questions:
Q1: What is your thoughts on Dark Seal on AP Supports in general?

After much experimentation, I find Dark Seal to be very effective on a Supportive Brand, way more than other Supports I played. I tend to get it (after Sightstone and Frostfang) when I am ahead of my enemy, usually with a strong jungler and one other strong laner. Thanks to Frost Queen's Claim, I usually am able to accumulate a minimum of 8 stacks on average per game.

Q2: What is your view on Dark Seal for Supportive Brand?
Q3: Any situation/reason NOT to upgrade Dark Seal into Mejai's Soulstealer?

P.S: Btw, really informative Trundle video there :)
Fat_fast
<Member>
Fat_fast's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2016 11:42pm | Report
Trundle support? Count me interested.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2016 1:23am | Report
redash21 wrote:
Hi once again,

You are right on refillable potion, after trying out a few more games, I find its value drops post level 6 and it takes up an item slot for Vision Ward during mid games. Health Potion is better especially with Secret Stash .

Some more questions:
Q1: What is your thoughts on Dark Seal on AP Supports in general?

After much experimentation, I find Dark Seal to be very effective on a Supportive Brand, way more than other Supports I played. I tend to get it (after Sightstone and Frostfang) when I am ahead of my enemy, usually with a strong jungler and one other strong laner. Thanks to Frost Queen's Claim, I usually am able to accumulate a minimum of 8 stacks on average per game.

Q2: What is your view on Dark Seal for Supportive Brand?
Q3: Any situation/reason NOT to upgrade Dark Seal into Mejai's Soulstealer?

P.S: Btw, really informative Trundle video there :)

1. generally, no. I think it could work for supports like Janna who are extremely safe, but others, not really.
2. even worse, brand is much too vulnerable to run it
3. uhm when you want to finish core build first

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide