Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2015 5:25am | Report
I've been playing a lot of Alistar lately and had a question. What do you think are better/prefer, Mpen reds or AD? I've been having more success with MPen but perhaps AD has it's benefits too?

Also, been running 0/9/21 on him. Should I go something else or keep that setup?

BONUS QUESTION; The PBE was updated to remove the healing on relic shield/targon's brace creep kills. How will this effect bot lane? Not much, or will it give tanks enough reason to go for something else to start?

Third option: armour - though to answer your question I'd go Mpen (make sure to NOT max e first though if you do that).

0/9/21 is fine, gives extra mana sustain and roaming possibilities. 0/21/9 is possible but limits your sustain in lane greatly (also roaming through the extra movespeed).

Bonus question: As for the comments above, I don't know if it's a thing or not but it'd seriously hurt melee supports as it's going to make it so much easier to punish their early game by playing a ranged support; likely even force some of them to start coin (especially considering talisman synergizes very well with some of the melee supports like Leona/Alistar). I would actually like the change, but that's more because I play ranged supports only anyway.
I want to be a Blitzball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2015 6:09am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
Bonus question: As for the comments above, I don't know if it's a thing or not but it'd seriously hurt melee supports as it's going to make it so much easier to punish their early game by playing a ranged support; likely even force some of them to start coin (especially considering talisman synergizes very well with some of the melee supports like Leona/Alistar). I would actually like the change, but that's more because I play ranged supports only anyway.

Would Doran's Shield be a viable start if Relic Shield falls out of favor? It was bought when coin was still a thing.

Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2015 6:31am | Report
Depends what you mean by viable. If by viable you mean, it can work, yes.

If by viable you mean the dominant strategy no. Doran's shield start means you HAVE to snowball an early lead or you'll fall behind in items really hard.
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2015 5:23pm | Report
What kind of boots should supports buy? Especially fast supports like Blitzcrank or Janna? Ionian Boots of Lucidity often throws you way over the cdr cap considering how many support items offer cdr. I'm personally not a huge fan of Mobility Boots but I see a lot of people take them. Why is that?
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 15, 2015 2:14am | Report
Mobi boots enhance your roaming, making it easier to either gank other lanes or get deep wards down in the enemy jungle which is super important for a support. Lucidity boots are good on the champions that benefit a lot from getting 40% CDR but don't already get a lot of CDR in their standard build.
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 15, 2015 7:58am | Report
So am I supposed to get mobi boots as support? Are Boots of Swiftness viable?

EDIT: I'm actually using a different orange than the standard
orange. The one I'm using is softer/warmer.
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 15, 2015 8:42am | Report
Yes / no

Also friendly request to stop using those non-standard colours.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 15, 2015 9:40am | Report
Meh, I think it looks nice actually - it's easy on the eyes.
Maybe that's because I have a propensity towards orange.

Also, how do you play the Leona vs Nami matchup early game, as nami? I find that I have very little lane pressure, and any attempt to exert more lane presence ends up in me just getting comboed by leona. How do I position myself to optimize my lane presence if my minion wave is slow pushing towards my opponents? I don't know what to do aside from Aqua Prisoning myself when leona Zenith Blades onto me.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 15, 2015 9:48am | Report
utopus wrote:
Meh, I think it looks nice actually - it's easy on the eyes.
Maybe that's because I have a propensity towards orange.

Also, how do you play the Leona vs Nami matchup early game, as nami? I find that I have very little lane pressure, and any attempt to exert more lane presence ends up in me just getting comboed by leona. How do I position myself to optimize my lane presence if my minion wave is slow pushing towards my opponents? I don't know what to do aside from Aqua Prisoning myself when leona Zenith Blades onto me.

What's wrong with passively destroying leona's engages instead of exposing yourself?

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 15, 2015 10:06am | Report
utopus wrote:

Before 6 you can play somewhat aggressively; hold your bubble in case you get engaged on and try to poke down the enemy ADC using standard AA-W-AA combo's. Double ranged vs Leona is a pretty big advantage before Leona reaches 6 because there's not much she can do to avoid her ADC get poked down.

Keep pushing waves, ward up defensively and try to bubble the ADC if they go on you to avoid damage going down on you. Once you hit 6, play defensively (unless you've gotten a big advantage by then) and rush Mikaels.

When you have a wave slow pushing towards them, try to push it in the tower ASAP so you cannot get zoned out and to force the enemy ADC to lasthit instead of help leona in fights.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide