Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 8:47am | Report
I mean, it's harder to climb with support in Silver (I know from experience), but it's not impossible, that's for sure.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 9:11am | Report
HighTide29 wrote:
As a support player, I have been through tons of games that involved me getting my ADC to the point where they are more than fed or at least decently fed. Then what happens is a different enemy lane gets fed and it seems everything goes down hill from there-even if we have an ADC that is far ahead.

My questions are:

How would you mitigate this as a support player?

Generally when you get bot lane ahead you should try to look to assist other lanes, given you can leave your ADC alone for ~1 minute without them dying. This includes knowing when you can roam or not:

1. Generally, you need to push wave first -> roam. Pushing the minion wave simply means your enemies will have to deal with a wave towards them and can't follow up, whereas your ADC won't get denied as much.

2. You need to have very good game awareness. What summoners does the enemy have (on/off cooldown?), what lanes have very few escapes, what lanes have any form of kill potential, where are enemy wards etc. Generally, supports like Thresh/Leona are great at roaming as long as your allies have some damage, but others (like Janna) are more effective at countering enemy movements as they lack CC on their own.

3. Some ADC's are very vulnerable in 1v2's, others are great. Ezreal, post-6 Corki, Varus etc. all do a great job in 1v2's due to their long ranged waveclear, but Vayne does terribly (unless she's so far ahead she can 1v2, but that's rare).

Also, helping your allies through wards and global gold is a great way to aid their laning phase.

Quoted:
Would it be detrimental to leave bot lane for a little while to roam mid or top? Shen is a great example of this roam because of his Stand United.

I may be a Silver, but my friends say otherwise-including a Diamond friend-and it is so frustrating because climbing is nearly impossible as a support main because IMO, not even a support can turn the tide of a match when a player A) continuously dies-Silver players never adapt, or B) starts to tilt/rage because the jungle didn't do their job or no one came to help.

As per above, you need to choose the right moments but in general it's not - just communicate clearly. In high Elo, supports constantly roam through lanes to create opportunities there. It depends a lot on the situation but in general, roaming is key to being a good support.

I mean, it's harder to climb with support in Silver (I know from experience), but it's not impossible, that's for sure.

It's only slightly harder really, just be good at what you do and you'll climb no matter what; it may just take some more games.

Every game I start thinking "it's so hard to carry as a support" I realize that there's so much more I could've done as a support to help my allies out.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 9:13am | Report
Oh yea, I went from Silver III 0 lp to in promos in five games, so I know it's not that hard when you actually, you know, play.

Abusing the fact that they forget to ban Tahm Kench is working out well.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 9:19am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
Every game I start thinking "it's so hard to carry as a support" I realize that there's so much more I could've done as a support to help my allies out.

Honestly, Silver is my favourite Elo to play at. Even as support.
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 9:39am | Report
Oh yea, I went from Silver III 0 lp to in promos in five games, so I know it's not that hard when you actually, you know, play.
Abusing the fact that they forget to ban Tahm Kench is working out well.

Looks like you've found your new Pokémon in League. :^3
Sig made by me!
Sarixis
<Member>
Sarixis's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 9:43am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

It's only slightly harder really, just be good at what you do and you'll climb no matter what; it may just take some more games.

I personally find the games I actually carry or heavily influence the game as a support are when I act as a mastermind/mission control. Constantly keeping tabs and doing things that allow me to control the game no matter how bad of decisions my teammates make. Sometimes it forces me to take kills so they don't die.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 10:10am | Report
Looks like you've found your new Pokémon in League. :^3
too bad I hate him so much
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 10:33am | Report
Sarixis wrote:

I personally find the games I actually carry or heavily influence the game as a support are when I act as a mastermind/mission control. Constantly keeping tabs and doing things that allow me to control the game no matter how bad of decisions my teammates make. Sometimes it forces me to take kills so they don't die.

Exactly, as a support you're not the one that kills the enemy, you're the one that sets your allies up to kill. That can be through ward coverage, roams, anything really. All that matters is that you're creating the conditions for your team to do well.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 10:44am | Report
I'm finding that oppressive or just ******** champions are doing a pretty good job of helping me climb, in my case. Mostly because they force me to think about being aggressive while also doing what I was already doing, which, obviously, my lack of aggression and lack of playing wasn't really helping me climb at all.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2015 12:34pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:
Exactly, as a support you're not the one that kills the enemy, you're the one that sets your allies up to kill. That can be through ward coverage, roams, anything really. All that matters is that you're creating the conditions for your team to do well.

Except, you know, as per last night when you get a double kill because bot lane decides to dive your low health carry and you shield them and keep them back and the tower destroys them both as your ADC gets away safely. I think saying, "The support shouldn't get the kills" has been repeated so many times to me that I'm afraid to be aggressive enough to kill. Then again, getting all those kills early helped set up Kalista for later, so, "creating conditions for your team to do well".

guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Janitsu ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide