Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
SadisticOrphan
<Member>
SadisticOrphan's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2016 2:18pm | Report
I love playing support and I never really swayed from it when I started playing league, I main Taric he is amazing he makes the gameplay more better for myself and I usually use different supports as well. I have over 120k currently with taric and slowly forming a rune page just for him. I only play "Tank" supports and sometimes ap supports like Morgana. I enjoy the support role a lot but when it comes into ranked games, I'm in bronze sadly but I don't give up just because I'm bronze I do indeed try to get better. But when I ask how do I climb ranked as support, Some people tell me to go a different role and try to carry in bronze then go support in silver but I just dont see it.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2016 2:46pm | Report
This isn't really a question but here you have my thoughts on climbing as a support:

Climbing as a support may be a little bit slower than with other roles because you do not have the ability to solo carry (you rely on others). However, the game is not about solo carrying; if you have a positive impact on your team's performance every game you will steadily climb:

1. You influence one lane directly: bot lane. A support has much more influence on the early phases of the laning phase than the ADC; you're the one that has to start things.

2. You indirectly influence ALL lanes through vision (also: roams). True; in bronze people's map awareness is not as good, but it also opens up for plays. For example, bronze players themselves will also ward worse meaning you get more opportunities to make picks or get drakes/barons for free if you set up vision/sweep correctly. Players are very likely to facecheck as well, which is something the support can facilitate better than any other role. In other words: low Elo is very much "see hero, kill hero". What happens if you can see them but they can't see you?

3. A lot of supports have more impact in late game teamfights than a lot of tanks. In your case, a well timed taric ultimate can win or lose a teamfight: generally teams don't know how to play around it. In other words, while you may not be the one to dish out damage, you can still be the one to decide the outcome of a fight.

Summing up, if support is your best role you will find it more easy to climb with than with traditional carry roles, even though it's not the most optimal role.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2016 3:22pm | Report
I mean, I started this season in Bronze II after placements. It took me 400+ games to get to Gold V. It's possible to do climb out of Bronze and Silver playing mostly support (though I played a lot of jungle games near the end, myself). It tends to take longer than average unless your skill level is better than the average player of your ranking to climb as a support, at least from what I've seen.
Kirito67
<Member>
Kirito67's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2016 12:05pm | Report
Why does ranked exist anyway? It's just impossible to carry as support as if your a solo player. Like seriously i work a lot these days & for me to even win a game without my adc feeding is beyond me. Needless of what I'm ranked @ riot opening admitted that solo queue is #### matchmaking.

Therefore i'm assume Unranked because of riot's poorly maintain matchmaking system.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2016 2:33am | Report
Kirito67 wrote:
Why does ranked exist anyway? It's just impossible to carry as support as if your a solo player. Like seriously i work a lot these days & for me to even win a game without my adc feeding is beyond me. Needless of what I'm ranked @ riot opening admitted that solo queue is #### matchmaking.

Therefore i'm assume Unranked because of riot's poorly maintain matchmaking system.

Lolwat, that makes no sense at all. I went from unranked to diamond 5 on a smurf account in 109 games, playing the majority of my games solo. Even better, I played the types of champions that are generally considered poor for carrying: enabling supports (think the likes of Nami, Janna) rather than supports that can create opportunities themselves (Leona, Blitz, Thresh).
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2016 5:27am | Report
I once tried to intentionally lose games (story for another time) as "legitly" looking as possible in Gold 5 by playing full AP support Thresh and not picking up absolutely any souls so I would have low levels worth of armor even at level 18.

You know how it went? Horrible. Every hook I threw landed, every "dumb engage" got me or my ADC a kill, every "random pointless hook" I threw late-game got our team a catch.

I maintained a 50% win rate after either 20 or 40 Thresh games because even while playing as stupidly as I could, so long as my mechanics were on point enough to accidentally make plays (and I was playing as mechanically on-point as I ever would because it would be boring to just miss everything), I would carry gold 5 games on Thresh, a support, a role I've played in maybe 0.1% of my total games. Oh and that was even while averaging 12 deaths per game.

You can carry and climb on any role so long as you're better than the opposition. If you're significantly better then the climbing will be noticeably fast, if you're slightly better then the climbing will be frustratingly slow/seem non-existent in the short-term (e.g. my 50% win rate after 40 games would have probably been either slightly lower or slightly higher after putting more games in). But if you deserve to climb and you're willing to put in the time, then you will.

I'll be the first to admit that support is possibly the hardest role to carry from, since my main role ADC is also at least top 2 in difficulty carrying so I know the struggle. But if I of all people can accidentally carry gold 5 games through mechanics alone while trying my hardest to lose, you have no excuse to not be able to carry bronze/silver games. Even in high Diamond/Master I've seen smurf supports carry games. It's definitely possible, it just might take you more games if anything.

If you don't have time to play as much ranked as you'd like, then that's fine, but it's not Riot's matchmaking's fault that you're not climbing.
CrevsDaak
<Member>
CrevsDaak's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2016 8:50pm | Report
Hey Vynertje, do you know/could you explain me why are some people building the Sightsone upgrade early-on? I don't mean the combined one but the Red Sightsone™ we all know and (kinda) love. I saw several high elo players do this and I think I even saw it in pro matches as well (on tank supports only tho). Is it because it gives you cheap health? More wards?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 2:21am | Report
I think there are two main reasons:

1. it allows you to build into other items really quickly. The 4 wards are super important because it allows you to put more wards down so you want to finish that anyway, but after that you can build into locket really quickly compared to the more expensive eye options.

2. it gives you the opportunity to still build your full support item, which is particularly good for face of the mountain and talisman of ascension.

Basically, what most supports tend to do is to finish their Ruby Sightstone, rush Locket of the Iron Solari and then finish their support item. It's a really quick build path into Locket which I think is the primary goal, because it does delay your build in the long run as you skip the extra gold generation. I think part of the reason it is so prevalent in pro games is because supports generally don't have time to sit in lane and wait for their gold generation to pay off, roaming is an important part of the game; on the other hand, I question its effectiveness in solo queue.
Kirito67
<Member>
Kirito67's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 5:05am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Lolwat, that makes no sense at all. I went from unranked to diamond 5 on a smurf account in 109 games, playing the majority of my games solo. Even better, I played the types of champions that are generally considered poor for carrying: enabling supports (think the likes of Nami, Janna) rather than supports that can create opportunities themselves (Leona, Blitz, Thresh).

The fact that you played since the beginning of season 1 or 2, your already pencil in with other users who started @ the same time as you did. I've started playing Nov 2014, yet i wish they went back to the old vision system, than i wouldn't be stuck with terrible players who can't seem to understand that vision wins games. It doesn't matter if i go " Farsight Orb" or Eye of the Oasis, Oracle of Alteration on supports & in the end I'm the ONLY one warding/roaming as much possible as any Janna Lulu Sona
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 5:51am | Report
I don't get your point. Are you saying that you can't climb because you're matched with bad players and I can because I'm only playing with experienced players? But then how does that explain that I can climb as well when I'm playing with trash players as well on a brand new account?

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide